3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEW Grizzly BROADHEADS (byZIPPER) 170 KODIAK READY?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEW Grizzly BROADHEADS (byZIPPER) 170 KODIAK READY?
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
The following is the reply Ron sent me when I had asked his advice on using the KME broadhead sharpening jig and sandpaper. I hope it helps some of you.

Hi Rustam,

Yes there's a slightly different procedure for sharpening single bevels. It's actually pretty easy once you understand the process and do a couple successfully.

The most important thing is: Don't leave the 60 grit till you have raised a burr the entire length of the BHD. This is where 90% of the job is done. Finer grits only polish and refine the cutting edge created with the coarsest grit.

Using the grits you mentioned, I would start removing the burr at the 400 grit stage. Don't over-do it, just a few swipes on the unbeveled side to clear the burr. You will feel resistance and an aggressive cutting "feel" on your first couple of strokes which will diminish as the burr is taken down. Then check the bevel side with your fingernail for a tiny burr just behind the cutting edge. Now lightly remove that new burr with just 1 or 2 very light into the edge passes.

Advance to your 600 grit. Polish (back/forth strokes) the bevel side till you've raised another tiny micro burr on the unbeveled side, then rotate the clamp and clear it again with all into the edge strokes, and be sure to go very lightly. Follow this same routine with every grit after 400.

I would go to 1000 grit at least and 2000 is better. Whatever grit you end with, finish up just as though it was a double bevel... 1 into the edge pass on the bevel side, then 1 into the edge pass on the unbeveled side, repeat. Do this about 10-12 passes total, decreasing pressure with each pass. The idea is not to allow a burr to build up on either side of the blade. The blade should be very sharp at this point

Then using all backward- away from the edge strokes, strop both sides of the blade on a piece of leather or better yet corrugated cardboard. (a large flap off of a cardboard box works great). Again finish up stropping with alternating passes: bevel side, unbeveled side... about 8-10 total. The hair should come off your arm pretty effortlessly.

One more note: If you soak the paper for a couple of minutes prior to laying it on the glass, it will "stick" tight to the glass when you smooth it out and you won't need to hold it down. (you can also tuck both ends of the sheet under the edges of the glass after smoothing it out). Let me know how you it goes. Thanks!

Ron

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
What the best adapter for these heads? Does Grizzly make their own or will you need to buy an after market adapter? Also is an aluminum adapter ok, or do you need a steel one.

Thanks
Charlie
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
I got my 170's earlier in the week..  A couple of months back I got some 160's from one of the TG vendors..  While I really liked the 160's I much prefer the wider 170's..

Ron, thank you very much for making them.. I also agree that a different paint or finish would be nice..

Great broadheads..

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
The aluminum adapters will work.  

Ron demoed the way to sharpen a grizzly, last week.  He really educated me and a couple of others on how to properly use the different grades of stone.  He definitely did almost all of the work on both broadheads and knives with the course stone.  He really did emphasize that the other stones will only polish the edge - whether it is sharp or dull.  Get it SHARP with the course, then move along to the other stones to polish it off.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Thanks Bill, Tracy, Ron. Heck I guess the whole Grizzly broadhead team. The 170 Kodiaks arrived yesterday and are being prepped for inserts. Great product!   :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Got mine yesterday also.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Same here.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I called last week to order some 160's and have been excited to get them. I also picked up a kme broadhead sharpener this week.

I was very disappointed when i opened them and  and seen they weren't what i ordered and they sent me the wrong heads. I was ready to sharpen them and plysee with ythe kme and see what all the fuss was about. I have no doubt they will make the order right but no sharpening and shooting for me yet (grin)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
I have you down for 160 right bevel heads.Is that not what you got?You are correct in assuming we will take care of it if they are incorrect.
Interesting way to find out there may be an issue.The first step should be to call the folks you got them from.
Bill

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Someone must have grabbed left bevels when they packaged them. I don't want you, or anyone else to think that I'm complaining about service with my posts as thats not the case because I hadnt called and didnt expect to get ahold of anybody over the weekend.  I know stuff happens. They sure do look good though and i can't wait to use them!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I'll box up your right bevel heads now and send them tuesday. I apologize for the mix up.
I spent most of one day last week boxing up heads for orders as well as to send to our dealers. I just hope this is the only mix up.Thanks for understanding Brad.   :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I understand completely how it goes when shipping large numbers of orders.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I did it off here but also figured I owed an open apology as well for my post about not getting the right heads. I see where it could viewed as negative and I'm truly sorry for that. I really should have waited until this week to get ahold of them and not put it up in the open like I did. Sincerely, Brad Arnett.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Awesome!!! Thats all I can think of at the moment. Got home today and had some broadheads waiting. I put them in the KME and just a minute or so on my coarse diamond removed the machining marks. Switched to a fine arkansas real quick to polish a little and then a few strops on cardboard had them VERY sharp. Can't wait to see how they do. I'll shoot them tomorrow if ever stops raining here.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Ron demoed the way to sharpen a grizzly, last week. He really educated me and a couple of others on how to properly use the different grades of stone. He definitely did almost all of the work on both broadheads and knives with the course stone. He really did emphasize that the other stones will only polish the edge - whether it is sharp or dull. Get it SHARP with the course, then move along to the other stones to polish it off.

Ditto  

Finishing with light strokes, a coarse stone will make'em shave. THEN move on to the finer polishing.

Eric

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I have shot dozens of times with my 160's so far, and am very impressed. They shoot perfectly in line with my bareshafts and touch up great...

My setup is Zipper Extreme, 60'' 52@28

Beeman MFX 500, 29.75'' 50 gr. insert, footed with 2'' of 2016.. Grizzly 160 right wing...         weighing in at 597 grains...     Chronographed in my shop today at 189 fps.

I also tested the grizzlies vs. several other heads of equivalent weight on plywood, textbooks, and coconuts. Not saying they prove anything... but sure is fun     :biglaugh:
Tyler C. Moore

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I did some testing last week.200 gr Kodiaks,KME sharpened.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
What a beautiful bear Jim, That color is fantastic. Congrats on your memories made.
Tyler C. Moore

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
I'm excited to try some of these out myself just won the auction on the St. Jude auction tonight just not shure what grain head I need until I get my woodies from snag
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©