3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New stuff for bowhunting  (Read 523 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
New stuff for bowhunting
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I just came from the National Archery Buyers Association convention here in Reno.   There are some good looking longbows and recurves  from Samick to some really nice bamboo backed longbows from Rose City.  Then there is: a broadhead  with a laser in it.  Turn it on, point it, and center the laser dot on the target and trigger the release!,,,then a broad head that has this really long fold out blades-geez it is a taxidermists worst nightmare. The exit wounds are huge.
More laser sights, seats, packs and a great idea.  A canvas roll that allows a deer or elk cape to be rolled up for transport.  Really slick as it lashes it together for pack transport.  There is a plastic broad head looking device that's preloaded with scent.  Get in the stand and shoot it where you want a scent bomb

There are still a few trad guys, but I saw no broad heads we would recognize, no feathers, only rose city for cedars.  I spoke to Jerry at length about much bashing on cedar suppliers.  He took the comments seriously and went over his procedures.  I have used his shafts, and others, for years.  I can say thatwooden shafts take some additional love before they are ready for cresting, dipping and fletching.  Those who will not love them will have problems.

There was a guy with heavy carbon 10 gpi

Standby. The techno world of archery goes on unabated.  Luckily, we live simpler way of ARCHery
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New stuff for bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
"[dntthnk]"
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
:confused:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I am really worried where bowhunting is headed.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I guess that there comes a point where people are creating products -- any products -- to fill a niche... any niche.  There are passionate people on the other side of the fence who want to make a living doing what they love, and they have to make money at it.  I personally am not interested in most of what I see in the archery departments or pro shops these days, but I understand why it's going that way.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
This is really nothing new, every manufacturer modifies their products constantly. If it's not better than the old one who would buy them. There will always be a new (gotta have) something to sell. Buy what you need for your style of hunting and let the other stuff stay on the shelf.

A lazer in a broadhead.......WOW..........wonder how much for a dozen with extra batteries???

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
Really not any different than the sights and levels that came out for recurves in the past. Then the compounds went thru many changes to arrive where they are today.
Like muzzeloader rifles- options run from flintlocks to the hotters 500 yard acurate in line gun shooting smokeless powder. Just shoot what you want and let the other stuff pass by.
I shoot longbows, recurves and also have a Drenalin compound. Shoot all with much joy. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
If lazer projecting broadheads get guys shooting bows, great.  Think about all the guys on this site who have come to trad after shooting compounds for years.    I think it would make me never release an arrow.  I bet my dot would be swinging all over the place.  The side of the deer would look like a Pink Floyd concert.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Bowhunting is going where its alway been going, further away from where it started.

With the exception of those who choose to hunt in the styles and traditions of the past its gonna keep getting further and further from the beginning..

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Corporations are all abut business and profits. When sales of a paticular product are at or near the quantity demanded by the market there is pressure from management to expand the market for thier products. The easiest way to do this is to introduce new products to new customers. That is why we will always see the latest greatest new and improved gadgets trotted out every spring.

On the other hand the companies you most often hear praised on this site are one man or mom and pop operations who are passionate about thier products and care more about quality and putting thier name on something.

there will always be guys lokking for shortcuts and we probably wont win thwm over. All we can do is show them how much fun we are having and hope it catches on.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the report Roadkill.  I didn't even know there was such a show in Reno.

I have little concern for the future of hunting. In fact, I believe there will be more hunters 10 years from now.

Habitat loss has been the greatest threat to the continued existence of ample wildlife populations ever since the abolition of market hunting about 100 years ago.

As long as kill is regulated by scientific principles, hunters and the equipment they choose to use has no negative impact on populations.

Lots of gadgets have come and many have gone. The market place, and in some cases, the FW agencies will weed em out.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
The thing about the broadhead with the laser in the tip, how would it even work?  How do you sight in the laser broadhead to compensate for the arcing trajectory of an arrow?  Seems like a completely unworkable idea manufactured just to get the attention and money of people who fall for it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Bowhunting is going where its alway been going, further away from where it started.

With the exception of those who choose to hunt in the styles and traditions of the past its gonna keep getting further and further from the beginning..
Well said,my thoughts exactly.They used to teach archery in High School, now your lucky if the kids can spell archery(no kid left behind if they know it or not).
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by maineac:
If lazer projecting broadheads get guys shooting bows, great.  Think about all the guys on this site who have come to trad after shooting compounds for years.    I think it would make me never release an arrow.  I bet my dot would be swinging all over the place.  The side of the deer would look like a Pink Floyd concert.
:biglaugh:  
+1
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
I'm glad that some of us (TGers, and others who like to use trad equipment) are still getting the job done without wheels, releases, laser sights (and now Broadheads??!!??   :banghead: ) rangefinders, etc, etc, ad nauseum. I'll just keep on being a dinosaur, shooting my longbows, wood arrows, and broadheads that you actually have to sharpen. What a concept.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I think a lot of compound hunters burn out on the all the super high adrenaline advertising and super high tech widgets after a while. I think at a point this makes some of them yearn for simplicity. I look at the member numbers here climbing quickly, and I see the guys coming into the shop looking at the used recurves and longbows. There is momentum. Of course there is the rest that seems to be eating up the newest gear and switching to crossbows. Seems to me like the best of this pool is coming over this direction (too bad we share the woods with the rest of them too.)

Then we have our challenge, a bunch of guys with 5-20 years of high tech background showing up wanting things to be simple, and immediately start asking questions about how many fps a bow will shoot and how do I keep my 350 grain arrows with vanes and a mechanical tip on them  :)  If they are here I have to assume their heart is in the right place, but they've been trained to ask the wrong questions at places like this expo.

I apologize if I mentioned any of the unmentionables, but if ever a thread would bring it out of me, this would be it.
Thom

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Perhaps, as it gets harder and harder to find suitable places to hunt, trad equipment will keep archery alive.  Compound archery is all about getting from point A to point B with the least amount of variability due to human error.  That makes it less challenging, and therefore, less rewarding.  If all I had were my compound, I'd not do much archery, as I don't have many hunting opportunities, and I don't have the $$ to pay a technician to keep my bow in whiz-bang working order.  But also, I find it more rewarding to hone my abilities, even if I'm just shooting at a cardboard box in the basement, with a stickbow.  

Let's say it another way.  Just how many people would be playing basketball if there were lazer-guided magnetic balls and magnetic hoops to shoot at?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Primitive Spirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Well said Archie. A good friend once told me, 'the demise of this planet will come from the want of an easier way', and he is correct. I got away from the 200 fps wheels n pullies and the  endless bullseyes for many reasons; some being it is too easy, therein lacking any real effort or merit, and ultimately, lacking Soul. My Primitive Spirit is fulfilled when goals are achieved moreso by natural means, and not the static world of whiz-bang gadgetry only to rust at some point. I encourage the world of easy-seakers out there to pick up stick n string and share some moments with our ancestors, ancient, clean, and giving forward.

We do not own the land, we borrow it from our children.

Shame the whiz-bangers wont be reading this.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
at so point archery is not much different that rifle and the archery season will turn into two seasons, 75 % traditional then they will open it to the rest for a week or so. just like rifle season. its already kind of happening here in Oregon.we have a few units that are open to tradititional only for the first few weeks of season. sad really because Im already seeing ccompound guys buying trad bows for those first to weeks but most dont practice and most of them just wing arrows out there. who know where it will end
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline Primitive Spirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Sad but true brother, sad but true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©