3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oxbow Maine Bear Outfitting?  (Read 145 times)

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
Oxbow Maine Bear Outfitting?
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Anyone hunt with Oxbow? Been looking around for a bear hunt. Thanks Mark
SoldierII

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oxbow Maine Bear Outfitting?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Mark: Be sure that they welcome trad bowhunters. Also, ask about stands and if you will be put on one stand for the whole week or if you will be able to change if your bait becomes inactive or is being used by a sow and cubs. Also ask when they start baiting. They can begin Aug.1, but many wait until a few days before hunting begins. Also, find out how many bait sites are available and how far apart hunters will be placed. You don't want to be within a mile or so of another active bait. I don't know about Oxbow, per se, but have heard horror stories about how trad bowhunters are treated by some. Get references, if  you can, from the outfitter from other trad bowhunters who have been with them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oxbow Maine Bear Outfitting?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I agree with Bill.  I hunted with Eldon Jandreau--Hunters Point Guide Service--five trips, great outfitter.  At a local laundramat I met a guy and his son who were hunting with another "outfitter" in the area and he was steamed.  When taken to his stand, his "bait" consisted of a few apples.  The guy was buying Twinkies to bait his stand and he was not allowed to move--"This is your stand for the week."  

By contrast, Eldon had over 100 baits out all over the country that had been baited from the first day he could bait--every hunter is assured an active bait, and if things changed, or you just wanted to move, no argument at all.  Besides, Eldon is a dyed-in-the-wool traditional longbow hunter and loves having trad folks in camp.  He knows the needs we have.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©