3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: archers elbow  (Read 378 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: archers elbow
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
In discussing this with both an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist, I happened to mention that I was experimenting with shooting both right and left handed. Neither had imagined that anyone would do that, but they thought it would be great therapy. I've been switching from right to left handed every other day for a couple of months now, and it really does seem to help.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline troutguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
thanks for all the great replies i guess im not alone. its just hard to stop shooting. lol

Offline troutguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
pete im shooting 2 grayling bear bows a kodiak hunter 60 50# @28 kodiak mag 52 50# 28.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
My response to the last 3 threads has been:  find an Occupational Therapist, preferably a Certified Hand Therapist.  The treatment for medial vs lateral epicondylitis differs some.  You should see your PCP for a referral.  I treat patients every day with these issues.  I had developed lateral epi. in my bow arm.  Lay off shooting, ice/heat, stretching, and weining back into shooting is my recommendation.  pm me with questions.  Good luck!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I had it in both elbows.

Bronz is dead on.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Another possibility is a bone spur. I had one in my bow arm and could not even draw a 20# bow. Therapy did nothing but fortunately or unfortunately I tore the tendon in a tractor accident and had surgery and they removed the spur at the same time. Not pain at all now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I tried ice, heat, elbow band, rest for a couple of months with no improvement. Then I tried soaking my elbow under the hottest running water I could stand for a minute or so, dry off quickly so it doesn't cool right down.

After the soak, I was  good for several hours of working and shooting with no pain.

After a month of that, I  had no more pain.

The pain had been so intense that I just didn't use that arm for much of anything. My theory is that the heat softened the connective tissue and muscle sheaths and let them stretch.

Anyway, I have since used the hot water treatment on wrist pain and finger joint pain with the same immediate relief.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
I think it's important to remember to "push" with your bow arm, and not just hold. Get those muscles to work for you. If it gets bad you must rest it, as others have said. Swinging a hammer for 35 yrs., been there.
Tom

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I havn't been able to shoot more than a few shots this past year with out have alot of elbow pain.  Working as a pipfitter doesnt do any good for the elbow either.  I tried everything, had several cortizone injections now the only option is surgery which I am scheduled for in March.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Great and timely post.  I havent been able to shoot without pain since mid November.  Been to sports therapist who gave me some $60 not covered by insurance cream and some rehab exercises.  Did what was told for 2 months with no improvement with zero shooting!   :mad:   Went back and they were talking about taking my blood out with a needle then injecting it back into my tendon.  Anyone ever got that recommendation?  He said its nothing structural so I tried to start shooting again but still in pain.  Never was told to try anything with heat maybe give that a whirl.  Hopfully something will work.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I know what ya'll are talking about. my left/bowarm is crooked from a bad break when I was around 6 years old. I pretty much had to give up shooting longbows because the handshock, no matter how light, would cause intense pain after shooting for a couple of days. I just stick with my recurves and don't worry too much about it.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I have been fighting a severe case since Jan 1, just had my second cortizone shot today,Doc say's I cant shoot the bow at all, not even try, for at least a month. Iwent to Rick Welchs shooting school the last week of jan, and it killed me to shoot the first day. Did not shoot any the second day. I have been trying to work on just form since I got back,12-15 arrows a day, but the pain is terrible and doc says I am just making things alot worse and it will never heal. So I am going to listen,unstring the bow and try again in April, if its not hurting. right now I cant even pick up a gallon of milk.
John 3:16

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I joined the "Bad archers elbow club" about three years ago.  I was told to sell my bows to him/Doc, he said it would cure everything.

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I had elbow surgey Dec. 9th.{2011} medial ulna nerve transfer, I tore a tendon and the muscle in the elbow,back on June 1st 2011 have been out of work and no glof or bow shooting since. Plenty of rest and therapy. I can know start shooting a light weight bow. This is going to be a great year. My sugestion would be to find a good orthapedic surgion that specializes in elbows. I had my surgery done at the university of michigan. hope this helps and good luck to all.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I agree with BRONZ, I'm going to a hand therapist, she says I don't medication or sugery.  the joints in my hand are fused so she needs to loosen those before my elbow will get better. Course I think everyones may be a little different.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
In my case, I did physical therapy with a Hand therapist for a few weeks and did stretching exercises at home.

I didn't shoot my bow for a YEAR!

When I started back shooting last april, I shot 10 arrows, three days a week.

I still stretch before and after shooting.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©