3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve or Longbow ?  (Read 387 times)

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve or Longbow ?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I find recurves faster than most longbows but you need better form with a recurve . Longbows to me are more forgiving to mistakes in form but past 20 to 25 yards recurves shoot flatter than all but the newer reflex/deflex longbows IMO

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
I shoot longbows better than I do recurves. A recurves grip just doesn't seem to fit my hand quite right.
James Kerr

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
I like both,its what ever mood strikes.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
I'm like Legend,love both and both have their places.just like Quivers ,so many differant styles and applications in hunting and shooting situations.As of lately I'm really liking forward handle R/d longbows,so simple ,light and quick.Then I wonder over to the HH thread and it starts all over with Mudd and his Merry Men !LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
1964 glass Recurve; 2009 r/d osage longbow; primitive osage Choctaw; 72" English Hunter "D"; custom Georgia cypress longbow.....all the same to me. I just go out there and shoot. I look at my bows and whichever one calls to me in the moment, goes with me.....   :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
I like both,I have no problems switching from one to another.
michael schingeck

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I shoot a takedown recurve for the medium grip and heavy riser. I would probably shoot a one piece recurve if it had some heavy woods in the riser section. The recurve grip is easier on my elbow.

Still love the look of a longbow though......

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
I shoot only recurves. I owned one longbow a few years ago. Someone else has it now.

I prefer the appearance of the recurve. I like the curves, lots of wood in the riser, and wider limbs. My preference has nothing to do with performance, it is entirely an aesthetic thing with me.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
I shoot both and use the same riser, Ilf setup. Love them both.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Hybrid= Compromise
Tom

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
I was flipping a gold eagle coin, the one that was going to either buy me a JD Berry Apollo or a new Stotler. I mostly shoot Hill style bows, and two Robertson longbows. Then in one week two of my old bows came back to me. A real smooth Mcdonald and a Pete George yew. The holders of the bows bought new bows of their own. Which was all my wife needed to tell me that I was not going to buy any new bows as long as I have that many bows. If in doubt, the Stotler or the Apollo will do anything a Hill style bow will do, for me, if I was honest with myself, I would have to say that they are just as stable as the Hill style bows.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
I shoot both.Love getting new bows and shooting.My newest that i have realy have been enjoying to shoot is my bear Kmag.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline stickgunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
I have two of James Berrys bows. one is an American style , the Vixen and the other is JD's Renasanes.I also have four hills, one john schulz, brackenberry old timer and a few recurves. I will take my Berry bows any day of the week. If you can get a Berry. You wont go wrong. you know what they say ONCE YOU GO BERRY, YOU DONT GO BACK.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I was shooting both.But I was shooting the recurve for a faster arrow at the same weight.But I now have a Legends longbow which is faster in the same weight from my recurves.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I have both and love shooting both but if I'm honest with myself I do shoot the 'curves better.

As has been stated YMMV, Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©