3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Porcupine hunting in PA  (Read 275 times)

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
Porcupine hunting in PA
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Anybody here hunted for porcupines before? I'm looking for some tips/ stories and suggestions where to hunt? My brother had some porcupine meat in Africa and he said it was excellent. That got us thinking about hunting them here.  Seems like it would be fun, and would give me something to hunt when squirrel season ends
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Porcupine hunting in PA
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
I see quite a few where I hunt in Clearfield County - State Gamelands 87.  I could have shot a few last fall from my treestand, but wondered what the heck I would do with it and I don't care to kill something just to kill it.  I don't know of anybody who's eaten it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

I look in the trees for feeding areas. They really like the willows and pine trees here in Wyo. The hardest thing about hunting them can be finding them.

Ranchers here really don't like them. Porkys kill alot of trees and are hard on dogs. One rancher I know had his dog killed by a porky. It was a slow death as a quill slowly worked it's way into the dogs heart. Dog was sick for 2 weeks. That is the only reason I kill quillpigs.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I am interested in a few quills if any might be available
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I shot and killed one once  in NY and it based like I was eating a greasy pine tree. Around here they really like pine trees. Just find an area where they have been feeding and look for them nestled yp in the crotches of trees. Make sure and use broadheads, they are tough. A friend of mine shot one with her bow and it just kept walking until the 3rd shot through the chest and my buddy shot one twice with a 44mag before it stopped walking away. I'm sure the first shot was deadly in both cases but they didn't act hurt.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Very nice pictures, I've talked to several people who had their hunting camps torn up by porcupine. My brother spent a week looking for them in Oct. at my buddies cabin and didn't see any, seems they're always around when you're not looking  :)  
Jsweka, if we do have the opportunity to hunt them we will eat them. Thanks for the tip on sgl 87.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I have shot one with my longbow, and it was honestly the worst thing I ever ate.  My oldest son (then 5) tried some and asked if I "Just gave him a piece of the butt".  Kids say it the way it is.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Got this one just after the season opened. They don't taste so good, yup greasy pine tree.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I have heard that they were the worst eating critter to walk the earth. I can tell you that you will smell them before you see them, they smell kinda like a hobo in summer. Look for the in hemlock trees and thorny areas. I have seen them eating rose shoot leaves and bark. I see them quite often but dont ever kill them, they get a pass with dillas.  

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I killed a few this year. I only killed them because they were in the areas that I often walk my dog.  Look for beech trees. If there is one in the area, there will be chewed up areas on the beech tree. They often have dens inside of beech trees.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
"It was a slow death as a quill slowly worked it's way into the dogs heart. Dog was sick for 2 weeks."

I would think that two weeks is ample time for a vet to surgically extract a quill.

I have heard of a legendary bowhunter by the handle of Bowspirit, or Swamp Thing, who has intimate experience with the gustatory pleasures of the Erethizon dorsatum.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
They are very destructive, like to chew rubber and wood. When I was a kid we woke in the middle of the night to a crunching sound. Went outside to find it coming from under the hood of our truck.  My dad popped the latch and there sat a porky chewing on the spark plug wires! they love to chew the T1-11 siding on weekend places here.

I never thought of hunting them to eat, and sounds like I don't want to!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
very good eating. I like them in an Acadian style potato dish called rapure or rappie pie.

lots of protein, no fat and tasty.
i'm sure they would make a good subsitute in a rabbit dish.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Austin,  In the SW section of PA I always find them near rocky areas where they can find shelter in severe weather.  It could be in valleys or on ridges.  Look for trees that have the bark stripped usually in the upper branches.  I have noticed over the years whenever we get a break in the weather in February it seems the best time to find them out.  Look for tracks and dens in these spots to zero in.  Good Luck

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I would think they would make a good hat.  People would most likely keep their hands off of it. Mean spirited people who call themselves your friend, yet think its fun to grab your hat, throw it a few feet away and shoot it while it lies defenseless on the ground.  I loved that hat.  Yes, I think a porky hat would stop that.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by elknutz:
I would think they would make a good hat.  People would most likely keep their hands off of it. Mean spirited people who call themselves your friend, yet think its fun to grab your hat, throw it a few feet away and shoot it while it lies defenseless on the ground.  I loved that hat.  Yes, I think a porky hat would stop that.
:laughing:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the info/ pics. Hopefully I can get free to hunt in a few weeks.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
The bigger the tree the better they like it. If your weather is bad or the snow is fairly deep they will stay in the same tree for a week or more. You'll know the tree cause there will be plenty of poop around and small branches and bark ringing the tree. I think porkies are one of the neatest critters in the woods and love to see them. Hope you eat what you kill cause killing one just to kill one isn't right and there isn't much of a challenge in it. One of the guys posted he has killed a few cause dog gets into them?  Train your dog better.
lll

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
where or where is B.S.??????
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Wow...two shots of a .44 mag to put one down!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©