3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 miles with 40lb pack today Elk season prep  (Read 312 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
4 miles with 40lb pack today Elk season prep
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Upped the weight to 40 lbs and hit some of the roughest terrain around Tulsa. (Turkey Mtn)
Not too bad but better than hiking on flat asphalt.

Had a takedown recurve and quiver of arrows sticking out of my pack. Should have seen the looks that I got on the trail. It was a nice day out and flocks of people were hiking.

My legs are getting stronger. Pack is holding up. Badlands 2200.

I try to keep a very quick pace. Guess it is from my time in the USMC.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 miles with 40lb pack today Elk season prep
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Good for you I am going to start hiking this week,elk season will be here before you know it.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Great job, but a word to the wise, go early to acclimate to elevation change.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
That's great to see you getting ready, but don't to forget to cross train a bit. Mix it up with some other forms of cardio and weights if you can.....it will pay off!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Jim,
  Suck it up and strap 70#'s and do 20miles just like we would do before deployment(at least your not behind a butter bar).Oh and call cadence with Casey Jones Was a ........Semper Fi
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Jim, I use the same pack with 70 pounds of lead shot in it and it has held up great. I did 4 miles up hill a night for about 2 months be for elk season. By the time season came around I could jog quite a ways with a 70 pound pack. Good luck on your elk hunt. I hope I draw a archery elk tag this year.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
That's great to see you getting ready, but don't to forget to cross train a bit. Mix it up with some other forms of cardio and weights if you can.....it will pay off!
This is probably more important than the pack work especially for us flat landers.

It is always good to get in shape, but if you are already getting ready for elk, be careful you don't burn out and drop off the training.  Even first time marathon training only takes 16 weeks.  

Have a great hunt.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Okay you got me motivated I hiked 3 miles with 20 pounds today.Not a lot of weight but good for my first hike of the year.I am going to take it easy on moving up in pack weight,last year I over did it and had to take off a couple weeks .Thanks for the motivation

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
If you don't have much in the way of hills find a stadium and walk up and down the stairs until your legs get wobbly.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
great training!!!...getting those muscles used to hauling weight up AND down is the best way to keep from a pulled muscle on a hunt as well as getting the cardio workout in.......I use 20# bags of cat litter in my alice pack to train. 20 then 40 then 60, and wear the boots you'll hunt with to make sure they are up to the task.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Yeah I dont want to do that every week. I wanted to check the pack too. No discomfort yet besides just the weight. No pinches, squeaks or hot spots.

That same trek in July and August is going to SUCK! I weight train 4 times a week. Going to hit the squats a lot harder from here on out.

I have a high school stadium a couple miles from here. Going to try that too. I think I finally found a pair of boots. I bought some Asolo's today. It felt like my feet just fell down into them. A little heavier than I'd like but once broken in I think they will be awesome.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
Upped the weight to 40 lbs and hit some of the roughest terrain around Tulsa. (Turkey Mtn)

Had a takedown recurve and quiver of arrows sticking out of my pack. Should have seen the looks that I got on the trail. It was a nice day out and flocks of people were hiking.

I'm over by Stillwater, and I've been looking for some hills to climb. I've been doing some moderate rolling hills down a dirt road by my house. I'm doing 65-70lbs in a Cache Hauler for six miles. Been working my butt off cross training, jogging and hiking. Down 30lbs. Plenty more to go though. If you ever want to get together and show me Turkey Mountain, I wouldn't mind driving over. Been wanting to check it out.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Anyone else use trekking poles for the heavy loads like getting camp in or packing out meat? Not while hunting with light loads.
Once at camp, I use them to set up a tarp

They make a huge difference especially on the downhills. I don't carry anything over 45# without poles.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Be careful training with a loaded pack a lot. You can develope disk problems- especially later in life- if you do it so much that they are getting compressed and its easy to do with a steady diet of it. Backpackers who carry heavy & often have this issue, especailly as they age.

Not saying it is not a great way to get in shape. But try to limit how often you carry a load while finding ways to keep strong.

Rock on!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I was doing almost the same training for my last elk hunt. 3 miles a night , 40# pack , 10# ankle weights.. I dropped 40 pounds and felt great. Then 2 weeks before i was to leave i was running and stepped on a small rock and tore my right knee.. I almost didnt get to make my trip. If it wasnt for 2 cortizone shots and a knee brace i wouldnt have made it...
Its a great way to get in shape though...good luck on your elk hunt!!
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by marshratTC:

Originally posted by razorsharptokill:

I'm over by Stillwater, and I've been looking for some hills to climb. I've been doing some moderate rolling hills down a dirt road by my house. I'm doing 65-70lbs in a Cache Hauler for six miles. Been working my butt off cross training, jogging and hiking. Down 30lbs. Plenty more to go though. If you ever want to get together and show me Turkey Mountain, I wouldn't mind driving over. Been wanting to check it out. [/b]
The hills arent too bad if you stay on the trails. Pretty much have to, woods are pretty thick. I'm off fridays, sat and sundays.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©