3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suggestions for introducing Kids to archery.  (Read 936 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Suggestions for introducing Kids to archery.
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
My church has an outreach mission that is a church home to many kids in our community.  Most of them come from "tough" home situations and have little or no positive adult influences in their lives.  A good friend of mine who works with the kids weekly at the mission has asked me to conduct an archery (class/workshop/station) at a camp they are planning for early summer.  I don't have a lot of details at this time, but they are planning to have several outdoor activities and rotate groups of kids from station to station to give them opportunities to experience some things they have never had a chance to do.

I would love to hear any suggestions as to how I might structure a 1 hour session for groups of 6 or 8 kids at a time.  The ages will range from 6 to 17yrs and they will be grouped according to age.

Equipment wise, I would also like any input you might have.  Between myself and a couple of friends, I am in good shape on targets & arrows.  I also have a bow or two that the older kids can probably handle.  I plan to spend some money out of my pocket for additional bows, gloves, tabs, armguards and maybe a few kids arrows.  I'm not asking for donations, but they are certainly welcome along with any equipment you might want to sell.  I'm thinking most of them will be younger kids so mostly I will be needing equipment for them.  TIA

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suggestions for introducing Kids to archery.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
My suggestion is just get them shooting. Just the basic instructions and saftey on the range and then get them flingin. One hour isn't long and with a bunch of kids getting them through will be a challenge.

Also check with your local 4H and see if they have shooting sports. I'm a certified Archery Instructor for 4H. We deal with kids and running the range all the time. Also they may have equipment you can borrow. At the least they can show you their way of running the range (wistle range commands). It works well and is proven safe. Keep is simple for all of them a simple demostration of how to pull and draw the bow.

I usualy have them wait on there first shot until one of us is watching then I let them shoot the whole flight(5-6 arrows). Then they have to retreive the arrows and either shoot again or switch (depending on how many kids). We usualy have 6 at a time max with two adults watching.
Also 4H has way of carrying the arrows back. It seems weird but it could save you if you fell. Basicaly put the arrow tips in your hand and hold the arrows behind you in case you fell. If you do you drop them to catch yourself and the arrows will fall out of your way.

I have some files on teaching but if you shoot now you already know 99% of it.

Like I said Check with 4H. And you can also contact me if needbe.

OH and have ballons for them to pop. Thats a big hit.
Jason Lester

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Oh and keep them close. Nothing will make them lose interest faster then not being able to hit the bail or close to the target. And if you close and see this happening you can focus on them and correct it fast. I had 150 Girl scouts I come through during thier camp last year. I had everyone grouping well before they left most didn't want to leave. I hope to do it again this year as well.

Carefull though teaching kids is addictive.
Jason Lester

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
I sent you a PM
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Greg I tried sending you my outline via my MSN screen name- osnishi. Did ya happen to get it??
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Online ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
Use balloons on the targets. Something about blowing something up makes kids think its really cool!(I think balloons are fun to pop and I'm 42). Like Snailskin said, "keep them close" nothing like the feeling of doing good to keep the interest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©