3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: price of hunting  (Read 646 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: price of hunting
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
lpc - I hunt NJ as a non-resident, seems like the "fees" never stop.  ONE year I did archery and muzzleloader - was around $300 for licenses, not counting my PA tag and the western trip I make every year.  Surprised I'm engaged.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
I was not meaning to be critical of anything. I sat in on a seminar concerning how the money was used to "put sheep on the Mountain" as they say. It is a very worthy organization and they are doing great work. It just amazed this poor boy
musician that someone would put out that kind of money for one hunt. At the auction they auctioned a small eagle figure which was bought and donated back about six times. A $29.95 statue ended up bringing in around $4500.00 for the organization. Go figure

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
Just look at what the pound cake does at the St Jude Auction. Thats amazing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I'm over 70 and have lived in AZ for over 27 years so I get a Pioneers license for hunting, fishing. The permits have to be purchased, as well as a 2 pole stamp.

Bill, when you get to the old farts group they figure you are not in shape to abuse the free-bee's. They may be surprised if get my 4x4 walker   :biglaugh:          Chort

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I have to agree with Mark.  Yes tag auctions raise a lot of money for good causes, but there is just something about a public trust resource being auctioned to the highest bidder that doesn't sit well with me. It's just plain not fair to the regular guy.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
It's just plain not fair to the regular guy.
Then you have to ask, if that hunt doesn't sell for $300,000.00 (same as years past) would the animals be there for the "regular" guy to hunt?  The Golden Rule is a necessary evil.  He who has the gold, makes the rules.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Good to know your watching Mark. I'm sure Tim has clued youin a bit. As for the auction tags, this argument can go on and on, and probably will. This is a very hot topic. My question is if these auction tags bring in so much for "conservation", then why is the mule deer herd in UT at an all time low and the tags issued are at an all time low? Go figure  ;)  
I just hope my kids have a chance and something to hunt when they are 30   "[dntthnk]"
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I personally know people who have said and I believe mean it that this would be their last year hunting. I hate to hear this as I agree that something must be done or else all of hunting (guided, nonguided, rifle, bow, etc...) will be so expensive that no one will be able to go hunting.
James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Thought I would add that limbbender is right I have a lifetime license and it is well worth the money.
James Kerr

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Jim,
           Good to hear you are still getting around entertaining !! We have been thinking about heading to your brother inlaws again soon.
        Take Care
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:

Originally posted by jsweka:
It's just plain not fair to the regular guy.
Then you have to ask, if that hunt doesn't sell for $300,000.00 (same as years past) would the animals be there for the "regular" guy to hunt?  The Golden Rule is a necessary evil.  He who has the gold, makes the rules. [/b]
If it takes an additional $300,000.00 to insure that the animals would be there for the "regular" guy then the agency in charge should explain why they need an additonal $300,000.00 and raise the cost of a tag appropriately for all who apply.  A small increase for all is more palatable and democratic than giving special privilages to a chosen few.

Wildlife is a public resource and everyone should have an equal opportunity to utilize that resource.  If these tag auctions become more common, that public resource has now become the king's resource.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks for more public land to hunt. A lease in TX (a good lease) can be a couple thousand. I used to play that game, but being a grown up is expensive...houses, wife, kids, etc.  I'm giving public land a go (license and tags are cheap), but there just isn't that much to go around.

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
Hunting in France is not "cheap" either, where I live I have to have a hunting licence, which is valid fo r life,a bow licence, then every year I pay 176€ validate my licence to hunt deer and boar, that all goes to the Federation de chases (gov). Then i can start looking for some hunting. I join my local hunt because there is a no stalking rule in my commune so to hunt deer and boar it's only beaten hunts. Not too easy with a bow! That costs an extra 80€. I don't get a tag though I take my chances with the guns and share the result at the end of the day.
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
In my home state I look at the cost of the liscenses/stamps/tags (about $100/yr) this way. If I go hunting 10 times a year it costs me $10/day. That's about what it costs to go see a movie and I hunt more than 10 times a year so it cost me probably a couple buck per hunting day. When I think of where the cost of hunting is going is with the guided trips. Some are just incredible. There has been many threads on here about the Do-It-Yourself way and how to save money to make a trip happen. All great stuff. An example for me would be like if I wanted to hunt elk I have 2 options. Option 1 is go with an outfitter. Option 2 is DIY. A guided archery elk hunt would cost me $5500 round numbers for the hunt, liscense, airfare, tip, etc... DIY cost a fair amount too. I could see $2000 being reasonable for DIY. But I've never hunted elk, or lived in the mountains. I lack the woodsman skills to feel confident doing DIY myself. I have close friends that hunt but I have yet to talk them into makeing a trip with me. (I envy those who have those hunting trip companions) Since I don't feel confident/safe doing a DIY elk hunt solo, I'm looking at option 1 and lots of money. I don't know. I just wrote all of that and don't even know if it makes any sense.  I guess I just wish a guided trip cost less. But then again I wish a lot of things cost less.   ;)
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I have never been on a guided trip, per se. I have gone on hunts with buddies who knew the area very well. So, actually, even though I hunted on my own, those were at least "outfitted" hunts.

I didn't think I could afford guided or outfitted hunts so all of mine over the years have been DIY.  My success has been good for mulies, bear, and antelope. My success on elk (3 DIY hunts) has been elk 3 me 0.  There were extenuating circumstances on elk hunt #3 but I still went home without an elk.  I imagine that I've spent around $1,500 for each of these hunts.

While I probably would have been more successful with guides, I don't know if I would have enjoyed the hunts as much?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
No doubt that the price of hunting is going up, but it's still an excellent deal in most places.  Compare it to the prices you pay for other things, gas, for example, or your bow(s) or hunting clothes, etc.  

Most game departments are strapped for funds, and most rely heavily on license fees for revenue.  They have little choice but to raise license fees now and then.  Now, some states do sock it to non-residents pretty good, but residents pay low or modest fees in most cases.  Even the non-resident license fees, when you compare them to all of the other costs of doing such a hunt, aren't terribly out of line.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Roy, I agree about the enjoying it more. If you'd get a guide that just didn't believe in traditional equipment it could make for a "long" hunt. I often thought too that if you don't just jump in the DIY you may never "learn" the skills I say I lack.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I as smart enough about 10 years ago to buy lifetime licenses. Since then they have increased the fees for them 3 times.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
My typical license costs for fishing, small game and big game run around $260.  If I draw a sheep tag, it will go to $510  :scared:   Fuel can easily be another $300 for all the seasons combined (except fishing).  BUT, if I manage to bring home 250 pounds of boned out meat that is only $2.24 per pound.  Course, that does not include "labor"  ;)   or equipment, but I'm at the point where annual equipment costs are negligible.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
here in ca it seems the cost to go hunting gos up every year 41 for the liscence and 27 for 1 deer tag .deer numbers are down 40% in the last 20 yrs from disease and food for cougars. also habitat loss i guess.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©