3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is your hunt a thrill?  (Read 367 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
is your hunt a thrill?
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I recently read a post by Terry on another thread where he said how he has transitioned in his hunting to challenge himself. I too don't regret the compound years, I had fun. I did end up getting bored with hunting even though I love hunting and archery. I got tired of carrying the heavy bow and all the stuff. I moved back to trad and the love came back and began to grow. Then the desire for challenge grew. I find myself getting away from blinds, less camo, and I have been hunting more aggressively. By the end of this past season I just had my quiver of arrows, my bow and some water. I feel I had a great year just going for it and pushing myself. So, who else is going stripped down, changing tactics and pushing for more challenge? What is it you are doing out there to make your hunt a thrill.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is your hunt a thrill?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
It's always been that way for me... You couldn't pay me to hunt from a tree stand, for deer that is. Bear over bait, well, another story. Store bought blinds, nope! Enough blow downs around to keep me happy. I love the heavy cover for close-in encounters while on the stalk.

Been at it with trad gear for over nine years and have yet to put one down... Still, I love it so! If the gear I need can't fit into my pockets, it stays home. Except, maybe, for my Bison Gear pack that some day will hold my over clothes while I drag a deer out of the woods.   :rolleyes:  Some day.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Hey Jerry

As you know I started hunting with compounds with all the bells and whistles and carrying so much crap and hauling it up into trees. One day I met Reiner and saw him shooting a BW longbow and asked to try shooting it. Soon afterwards I bought my first trad bow, a sweet Hornes 3 piece mountain bow. After I hunted a couple seasons with the recurve from trees, Reiner got me started in hunting from the ground from natural blinds. Now I only carry all I use in a CatII quiver. Nothing like traveling light.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I live in the boonies,27 miles from the nearest grocery store.Our house is on my wifes family farm so i mostly hunt right here by the house,i can walk to all of my stands.So, my hunting is very simple,no need to take much gear with me.Usually just a bow, a cpl of arrows, a small flashlight and sometimes a pair of binoculars.I am a simple man ,or maybe just old fashioned,so i like the minimal way no matter were i hunt.Hunting to me is just a good excuse to be out in the woods so i dont care if i dont get a lot of deer.I dont hunt big game a lot with guns but when i do i use a handgun.I have prolly killed 10 times as many deer and hogs with a handgun as most rifle hunters i know.These days i use a bow even durring gun season.But,i have no problem hunting with others that use guns, compounds or even cross bows.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I just have to Admit, the Thrill Starts as soon as I pull away from the Curb!!  :thumbsup:   The Thrill Builds & Builds until I put boots on the Ground and wander into My Favorite Woods!! Slosh across the Creek and I am  "HOME"!!       There Nothing like that Feeling in the World to Me!! Doesnt matter if I even get a Shot, just  "BEING"  is the Religious Experience I have become a Junkie For!!  :archer:  
  To hear the Birds, and Squirrels Chattering in the Trees, and the Soft Breeze rattling through the Last "Hanger-On" Leaves of the Trees is like a Hymn to Me.   :pray:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm going with less and less, I just got a Waldrop pac-seat to use from natural blinds. Bow, arrows a drink and some lunch or a snack. Carry the lunch in a Haversack that I made from a pair of wool pants. Knife and a drag rope that I hope to use. I hope to see a few deer this year and maybe get lucky. Seems simple is better!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
It is still a remarkable feeling to me to tug on that haul-line to pull up my recurve in the morning dark. It feels like nuth'n on the other end!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Every time I go by a piece of woods I think of how I can hunt it. The mere thought of being in the woods excites me.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
I must admit. .  I don't think I use a stick because it is more challenging, but rather cause it just feels right to me. No other reason.  

I don't feel the need to actually kill anything, although I feel a very real need to go out and chase stuff as often as possible.  On the other hand, I don't turn down gifts from above either, if it comes by and offers itself to me, I WILL take it or try.

It just is what it is.
ChuckC

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I'm thrilled every time I walk into the woods.
bolong

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I find the thrill in getting close to an animal.  The kill for me is anticlimactic.  Every other part of the hunt for me is  calming.  Camping, hiking, being in nature with little but a stick, a string, and a sharp stick takes me back to a place where my ancestors lived by their skills.  It is where I want to be every day of my life.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Why would you limit yourself to only hunting from the ground or from a stand?  Are you not hunting when you enter the woods?  The hunt begins when you enter the woods.  Hunt your way to the stand.   See a a deer not within shooting distance give it a try.  Whent he time is right go after it.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I have the heart and the mind of a hunter, the killing is just the culmination of a hunt that has gone full circle and is part of it, a act that takes place once in a while to have hunted. But it is the events that happen in the pursuit that divide us from those that only eat store bought meat or fool themselves into thinking they were meant to be vegitarians, these individuals are not participants in nature but bystanders who will never smell an autumn morning or run their fingers through waist high canary grass, I feel sorry for their loss.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Just being in the outdoors is a thrill for me!   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I started out shooting a longbow just to challenge myself. Now It just feels so natural I don't even view it as a handicap. Other than occasionally taking rattling horns, everything I need for a sit fits in the pocket of my arrow master quiver.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline WJackson11x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Every time I go by a piece of woods I think of how I can hunt it. The mere thought of being in the woods excites me.
I thought I was the only one that thought this way.  My wife laughs at me and thinks I'm crazy.  Hunting never leaves my mind, it's a sickness and I love it!
Wes Jackson

Black Bear 40# @28 60"
1971 Grizzly 45# @ 28 58"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Always a thrill. I quit wearing camo a few years back and still stalk game to close distances. I want to kill a mule deer wearing a santa claus outfit next, or just in my boxer shorts. Just to prove you don't need no "camo".  :readit:    :laughing:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Tracy Tracy Tracy. How do you think Santa caught the deer he trained to fly. That santa suit has special camo powers.   :biglaugh:  

Truth be told every hunt I go on is a thrill. You take from nature what you wish to take from it because Nature has an unlimited amout of gifts to give.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
oh ya....  I just love being out there.. where ever out there is.  I hunt in very big woods so I need to be well prepared but I take no more than is necessary to be safe. Water, minimal foods,  a knife warm dry clothes and a compass and map.(and GPS) first aid stuff.

I once read that 'a good mountaineer never gets lost, but they can get confused.  
So you should always be prepared for long periods of confusion.'
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Joe Ashton has got it right........Never lost, confused........for hours... :notworthy:  .. .LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©