3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Eichler's buffalo setup  (Read 969 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Eichler's buffalo setup
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I read on a different site that Fred killed his buffalo with the some poundage bow he always shoots....54#'s and nobody disputed it. That would make the old saying "accuracy is more important than poundage” so much more true!

If someone know this to be true or false chime in.    :campfire:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Eichler's buffalo setup
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
I will contact Fred or Michelle (Laura's working on Fred's website) and I will get it right form the horses mouth.
Just so I get it right, what bufflo are you referring to. I'll try to get all the info....arrow weight, two or four blades, etc.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Asiatic buffalo
but the chase."

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Seen the video on sportsman channel.Fred said after he shot it.54# buffalo bow and 2 blade muzzy phantom easton axis arrows.Not sure total weight of arrow.But that was a huge buffalo and he got good penetration.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I've never met him, yet, but he looks like a pretty good sized ole boy on TV and I bet he's got a pretty long stroke, bow might be measured at 54#, but if he's got a 30"draw, would be more like 60#+ and draw length trumps draw weight. JMO
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
David... Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read Fred shoots #54 at his draw.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I am pretty sure that Fred shoots 54# at his draw lenghth. I remember that from an article he wrote in TBM I believe. He did have a long stroke though, 30 or 31 in, so he would be producing a little more energy than 54# @ 28.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Fred shoots around 54#'s at his draw length but I am almost positive he went up in weight for the buffalo ( somehow I remember around 65Lbs ) and also used the easton arrows made especially for big heavy game. At least that was for his first buffalo. I remeber him telling me how tough they were. Now maybe on another one he tried the lighter weight limbs.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
He's a long draw guy... just over 31" I think he said. Someone drawing 28" would need to be shooting 70lbs  to get the same performance he gets from 54..

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
On the DVD that came with the buffalo, the limbs he had were marked for 48lbs.  If he's drawing 31", that would make sense with the limbs stacking 2#/inch.  

Everything I've read is he's shooting 54lbs at his draw length and full length Easton Axis 400's.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I attended one of his seminars recently and am pretty certain he mentioned he has a 31" draw length.  He is a lot bigger guy in person than he appears on TV.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Fred does draw 54# at about 30in on his bows and used that poundage on his water buffalo shooting a heavier then normal full metal jacket dangerous game arrow with our "then" prototype 150gr Signature head.  Penetration was not a problem on that buffalo.
His long draw develops alot of energy compared to a shorter draw shooter and gives him the necessary punch he needs even though he is only shooting 54#.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
"heavier then normal full metal jacket".... i'm guessing he was useing weight tubes or something like that.  very intresting stuff.  this really has me reviewing my setup since, i just shoot deer and pigs.  :campfire:
but the chase."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
Michelle got back to me but is not sure about the set up. Fred  is in Canada and I'll be hearing back when he gets back in touch with her. But, Mark Land works for Michelle and I would take his word to the bank.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
I, too, remember reading the article by Fred and he stated that the bow was 54 pounds at his draw.  He said it is the poundage that he has used for years.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Fred's bow is 54# at his draw. The only animals he used a different weight was his polar bear and possibly his coastal brown. Those animals he had limbs that were 57# at his draw.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
He used the heavier inserts in those arrows to get the total arrow weight and more FOC on the arrow.
Yes I talk with Fred alot and am pretty sure on his setup.
The longer draw is where he is getting more performace out of his bow.  He and I shoot about the same arrow weight and same 54# draw weight on our Buffalo bows but I have a 27in draw and he draw at least 30.  I am shooting about 180 on my setup and he shoots around 200!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Good stuff Mark!
but the chase."

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I seen it great hunt! 54lbs would get the job done I think. I seen Tim Wells SPEAR a water buffalo down unda. He was dang close it seems to me with a heavy arrow and broadheads at that range you could get the job done.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Fred said he draws ~31" on MBB II.
CoilSpring

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©