3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice with field tips?  (Read 294 times)

Offline aujack25

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice with field tips?
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm pretty new to traditional archery, and was wondering what kind of points you hunters use when you are just target shooting. Do you use field tips even though your broadheads will probably fly differently? Or do you just use some broadheads for practicing too?  I have always shot a compound, and I know you can tune a compound to get your field tips and broadheads to hit the same place, but I'm not sure what you would do with a recurve or longbow. I apologize in advance for this incredibly dumb question, but like I said, I'm new to this!

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice with field tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
My arrows are tuned to the bow and I use the same weight field tips as broadheads.  They fly the same.
Pete Darby

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Jack-Nope, not a silly question.  Just like compounds, you can tune your tradbow to shoot field tips and broadheads to the same place.  I use fieldtips most of the time, and have some old broadheads I use once in a while to confirm they fly the same.  I know alot of people like the bow tuning directions on the ACS website.  Look under "knowledge base" on the tabs.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Everyone will tell you; "there are no dumb questions here" so always feel free to ask.
I simply practice with both depending on what I'm doing. For example, for roving and stumping its field points and blunts. On the range, I'll bring field points and broadheads. Before hunting I make sure my broadheads are flying right, that's all. I keep several bowstrings, and a couple of those are dedicated for hunting only (my skinny 8125 strings). So that's what I do.....To tell you the truth I have never noticed much of a difference between my two-bladed broadhead flight and my field points.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
I shoot broadheads for practice occasionally, just to confirm to myself that they are flying like field tips. But 99% of my practice is with either field tips or judos.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Field tips at the Archery range and indoor range for 3D and bag targets. Blunts & Judos for stumping, I also have a few old basketballs that I throw around then shoot with blunts. I also use broadheads in my BH Target frequently just to make sure everything is hitting where I am looking.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
My field tip and broadhead tipped arrows hit in the same place I'm aiming at, but I prefer to shoot a bag target with a field tipped arrow.

A broadhead tipped arrow destroy a bag target in a very short amount of time.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline aujack25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Also, what type of broadheads do you whitetail hunters use? I have been thinking about shooting 125gr 2-blade Magnus Stingers or Buzzcuts, but was wondering which ones you all  prefer as well!

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by aujack25:
I'm pretty new to traditional archery, and was wondering what kind of points you hunters use when you are just target shooting. Do you use field tips even though your broadheads will probably fly differently? Or do you just use some broadheads for practicing too?  I have always shot a compound, and I know you can tune a compound to get your field tips and broadheads to hit the same place, but I'm not sure what you would do with a recurve or longbow. I apologize in advance for this incredibly dumb question, but like I said, I'm new to this!
If your arrows are tuned well to your bow then your broadheads will fly like your field points. That being said, I practice day-to-day with field points. Anytime you make a change in your equipment, practice with your broadheads before you go hunt with them to make sure all is right. Never take any set-up into the woods that has not been practiced with.

Bisch

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
I proof my tune by using the broadhead I intend to hunt with. I practice mostly with field tips because I practice nearly every day, all year-long. My targets couldn't take the broadheads, nor could my adjacent arrows.

I did this for 34 years before picking up the recurve again in 2010.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
If you shoot other people's targets be sure you bring field points. Broadheads will tear most targets up in no time. My field points, two types of broadheads and judo points all fly the same.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
At home I shoot into a wafer ethafoam target and broadheads just make mincemeat of it, so I shoot field points. They fly the same as my elites. In the woods, I shoot Ace blunts, and same there. I have never had a tuning issue with 4-fletch and 3-blades. We'll see what happens when I go to a two blade.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline stickem1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Magnus Stingers are great heads. I used them until I switched to all wood. Now I use 40-50 year old Bear Razorheads.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete Darby:
My arrows are tuned to the bow and I use the same weight field tips as broadheads.  They fly the same.
X2
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Not a dumb question, and these guys are steering you right.  When your field points and matched broadheads fly the same, you'll know you're all tuned up right.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zradix:

Originally posted by Pete Darby:
X2 [/b]
X3

That is the measurement of when I have my bow tuned right.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©