3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: schafer riser  (Read 257 times)

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
schafer riser
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
HI, can someone tell me with the original schafer bow if the riser lenght  is what changed the overall length of the bow or was there diffefent limb lenghts. I'm asking because i have the chance to buy a riser from a 64" bow and was wondering if i could use the limbs from my 60" bow. thanks for any info. jp

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: schafer riser
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I have an original Silvertip (riser and limbs) and some limbs that Dave made. The only difference with the limbs are the size of the hole the bolt goes through to attach to the limbs. My original has a bigger bolt than the limbs Dave made, but Dave can make the hole bigger and tiller the limbs to that riser. The length of the limbs are the same. I'm not 100% sure with every bow he made but I'm guessing the riser length is the only thing that changed. Hopefully somebody that knows for sure will chime in.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I guess the best way to find out would be to call the Schafers and get it right from the horses mouth. I have found them to be very helpful!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Hey JP,
 I would say "Depends". I have owned a number of originals and have never had any match up correctly, not to say they don't work but they don't look right and I was always to worried to try shooting them. That said I have 3 60" originals that the limbs will not swap out on any other original except the one they were built for. They are so far off it isn't even funny. Kind of weird but they were all hand made and I really like that!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. jp

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Depends is the right answer! I think there were two different riser lengths and two different limb lengths to make 3 different overall lengths. The  60" were shorter riser + shorter limbs,  62" was shorter riser + longer limbs, and 64" was long riser + long limbs.  

I have only had a set of limbs inter change once with an original...just lucky! It was still slightly short on the limb pads but tiller was fine. Matter of fact JP, I think you own them now    :biglaugh:
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Dave also has made a shorter riser which makes a 58" bow with his number 1 limbs, I believe his long limbs are number 2 and on a med riser will make a 62" bow, so I think 3 riser lengths and 2 limb lengths.  Dave has also made a special 56" bow in the past.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys, think i'll pass on the long riser. Bob , i still own that bow and was hoping to put those camo limbs to good use with the long riser and keep the 47lbs limbs with the maple riser. Doesn't sound like the odds are in my favor for this to work.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Those 47 lb limbs were beautiful! I love quilted Maple   :clapper:
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©