3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How big a hog with a 42# recurve???  (Read 463 times)

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
How big a hog with a 42# recurve???
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Hey all,

I'm heading to Oklahoma next month for a hog hunt.  Due to some injuries I'm limited to a 42# recurve (Morrison ILF mini riser with Dryad limbs).  My arrows will be Easton Axis with our 150 grain Razorhawks up front.  Here's a pic of the head

I don't care much about the size of the hog and would pass on a large one if my set up isn't up to it.  I have very little experience with hogs and could use some advice on what to look for as far as the size of pig that this set up will handle.  Would rather go empty handed than shoot a large one and not get the penetration necessary.

I've done a search for hogs and believe I'm well versed on where the pocket is for boars with thick shields but I'll be honest, I don't know for sure that I'm able to hit what seems like a fairly small targe to me.  I'd rather be able to aim for the middle of the lungs and know that I've got enough umph to penetrate a double lung shot.  What size piggy am I look for?

Thanks.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How big a hog with a 42# recurve???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins has killed more than one big hog with bows of that poundage. If you hit them in the right spot, you will kill them.
John

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
Stan, Cherokee Scout is right...too a point. I would not hesitste to shoot any hog with that set-up up to 100# or even 150# for a sow. On a boar though with a shield I would stick to the under 100#'ers. You could kill a BIG boar with that if you hit him "just right". Any miss at all of the soft spot and a big boar will probably not be recovered. Just remember to keep your shot low and a little forward and you will be just fine.

The smaller pigs are way better eating anyway. I won't shoot at a big boar unless he has some chompers for me to keep as a trophy.
Bisch

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Two years ago My friend killed a 400# boar that had a 2 1/2" shield w/ 42 pounds. I took a 375# on the same hunt . Mine had a similar shield. I got complete penetration w/ 44#. I have been in on several hundred kills on hogs, you'll do fine as long as you hit him right.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »
Not  all 42# are alike and not all 28" are equal either-but if you have a good bow and you are pulling 28" you should be good with hogs up to 150lb. Accuracy is trump and there is a lot more to killing Mr. Piggy than bow# anyway. Really good advice above BTW.

Offline truefreedom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
Prairie Drifter Sir,
Could you please tell us more about that 400lb boar with 2 1/2" shield killed with a 42lb trad-bow, what arrow, draw length, etc, also what you where shooting to get a complete pass through with 44lb on a 350lb boar, I may want to get your set-up, do you have any pictures?
I would love to see a pic and know what arrow, draw length, broadhead etc...

Thank you

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
I personally have a problem with " might be able to" shots I have too much respect for the animals I shoot at. Learn both the limits of your equipment and your shooting and stick with them.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I've taken 150# boars with a 38# all natural bow with double lung hits 2" above the leg knuckle with no problems.  This was when I had my neck problems and just couldn't shoot more weight.

One thing to remember is that the performance of your setup will be the same as most 60# selfbows.

Use a heavy arrow and your good.

100# pigs will be no trouble.  I would pass on a real big boar though.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by truefreedom:
Prairie Drifter Sir,
Could you please tell us more about that 400lb boar with 2 1/2" shield killed with a 42lb trad-bow, what arrow, draw length, etc, also what you where shooting to get a complete pass through with 44lb on a 350lb boar, I may want to get your set-up, do you have any pictures?
I would love to see a pic and know what arrow, draw length, broadhead etc...

Thank you
My friend was using a 2016 w/ 250 up front. I think his arrow weighed about 570grs. He used a 4blade steel force head. He was drawing about 25".He had double lung penetration. I was using a 44lb Maddog longbow. My draw is 26". My arrow was a GT 35/55 w/ 300grains up front. arrow weighed 575grs w/ an foc of 25%. Broadhead was a single bevel tusker.Shot was 15yds.I didn't get a complete pass thru, I got complete pentration. Arrow was buried to the fletch,arrow was hanging out the other side.

I am now a believer in Ashby's work.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Do you have any pictures of the 400lb or 350lb boar? Those are true monsters and I love seeing pictures of big boars..
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
These #400 and #350 boars don't sound like free-range, wild hogs...

If these are "game farm", "preserve" type hogs, and it sounds like they are, please refrain from posting the pix....thanx for understanding....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
how much do your arrows weight with the point installed? If its at least 450 -500 grains, and the animal is quartering away and you put it where it needs to go, Id take that shot every time. You prolly wont have much blood but hopefully it wont go far. Good luck
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Get yorself a nice 100-150#....
If for eating get a female....
Any pig with a bow is trophy....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
The issue isnt the weight of the hog, it's the shield. Some hogs have it, some dont.  If they do (and they're in bow range) you'll probably be able to make it out....looks hard and matted and calloused.  If they dont, you'll have no trouble shooting thru one.

This is just my experience, but of all the hogs i've shot (a bunch in the 15-200# range) none have had a significant shield, and i'd have killed any of them with any bow i've ever shot...including my 45# longbow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
The issue isnt the weight of the hog, it's the shiled. Some hogs have it, some dont.  If they do (and they're in bow range) you'll probably be able to make it out....looks hard and matted and calloused.  If they dont, you'll have no trouble shooting thru one.

This is just my experience, but of all the hogs i've shot (a bunch in the 15-200# range) none have had a significant shield, and i'd have killed any of them with any bow i've ever shot...including my 45# longbow

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
In my admittedly limited experience with hogs, it is more about arrow placement than power.  I guess that really goes for all game... I have seen a few lung shots with bows in the 60-70# range that produced no blood (on the arrow or the ground) and the animals went unrecovered.  A handful of times the hog was found a day or so later plenty dead.  In contrast a well placed arrow shot from a light bow striking the hog in the heart will  drop it in a few tens of yards.  I would think your setup is plenty strong enough, just keep practicing the shot.

I agree with mike g, any hog with a bow is a trophy.  heck, any animal with a bow is a trophy.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:

If these are "game farm", "preserve" type hogs, and it sounds like they are, please refrain from posting the pix....thanx for understanding....
PM'd you sir...be blessed.

:archer:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Pick a spot and shoot!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I think you will be fine on hogs up to around 150 pounds. I killed my first hog (which only weighed about 70 pounds) with a 48# longbow and wooden arrows tipped with woodsmans.
James Kerr

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Curt,
yes they were,and no I won't. I know the rules.   :D   Doesn't  change the performance though. They were very large hogs with thick, tough shields
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©