3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 58in Silvertip with long draw length  (Read 272 times)

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
58in Silvertip with long draw length
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Does anyone have a draw length of 29" or more, and have a 58" Silvertip? I know Dave recommends 60-62" bow length for that draw length, but I was wondering how a shorter bow feels/stacks when drawn that far.

Offline ridge runner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 58in Silvertip with long draw length
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I draw a fuzz over 29" and I've have a few 58" tips. some handle the draw length and some don't. I've since gone to 60" schafers and haven't had one that wasn't smooth out at my draw.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I shoot my 58" Silvertips right at 29", Smoooth!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by SERGIO VENNERI:
I shoot my 58" Silvertips right at 29", Smoooth!
X2
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Let's see. Go on the word of internet wonders or listen to the advice of one of the best bowyers in the world. Not a tough decision for me.

Bob Morrison won't honor his warranty if you draw more than what he recommends.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
owlgrowler    what is that suppose to mean?? internet wonders?? i think some of the people that answered the question have enough time behind a silvertip ..
 i draw 29 with a 58" an loved it...

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
I am simply offering an observation here but many traditional archers do not know their correct draw length. I have on numerous occasions shot with people who had quite a bit of arrow past the riser at full draw who explained to me and believed that their arrows were cut one inch past their draw length. What I have observed on numerous occasions is that they are drawing one to two inches shorter than they believe.
  I would add that I could not agree more with the suggestion that Dave Windaur (?spelling?) would be the authority on which length bow that he builds would accomodate a particular draw length.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I would follow the recommendation of Dave.  He knows just a touch about that recurve bow to say the least.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
Owlgrowler, agree with you on this one, I would listen to the bowyer and not post the question here, thats what you pay the bowyer for,his expertice!

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Seems as if alot was read into the original question...Longrifleman was only asking if the 58" ST is smooth to a 29" draw. It is but, personally, I like the draw of the 60" better.

Like all subjective questions, you'll get a ton of opinions...and even some answers to wrong questions   ;)
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
sticbow, I for one, am getting weary of some of the people on this site that have thousands and thousands and thousands of posts, and relatively little hunting experience,(this IS a hunting forum) handing out advice as though they know what they're talking about. My comments were not aimed directly at the people that answered, but, if the shoe fits...

Secondly, I had this very topic come up on the Classifieds a couple weeks ago. 60" Blacktail 3 piece recurve. Norm Johson, another great bowyer, reccomends this bow out to 27" draw. The guy that had the bow made for him, has a 29" draw. Why, on God's green earth, would anyone plunk down close to $2 Grand on a bow, Custom made for them, and not listen to the bowyer?

You want opinions and advice? You will notice the last 1" of draw more, than 1 extra inch at either end of your bow.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Tad,

First off, yes I had a 60" Blacktail custom made for me and Norm never flinched when I told him I have a 29" draw. I do not care what his site says. He never recommended going with a longer bow. As for Bob Morrison, I have owned several of his bows from 56" and up that he custom made for me and he also never flinched when I ordered them and told him I had a 29" draw.

You need to chill and quit insulting those who are making recommendations and calling them internet wonders. Sergio and Felix have more time in the woods and with bows than you probably have on this earth. And for the record so do I.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I have owned alot of tips from 56"-64"'s and I draw 29"es. I (personally) like the the 60"'s on up bows, they seem noticably smoother for me.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
I have and currently own a 58" silvertip, draw a little over 28",smooth draw, I believe it would be just a smooth at 29"

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
i have a 58 and 60" and draw around 28 on a good day. i think either length would work and be smooth but a longer bow would be smoother generally.

i would also go w/ dave's recommendation but i will say next to dave you could do ALOT worse than sergio for silvertip info!! he is very knowledgable and has as much experience w/ schafers as anyone      :thumbsup:

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
It won't be how smooth it draws that will be the issue.  It will be smooth.  How much finger pinch would probably be the only issue.  You might just have to shoot one to see how you like it.

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
The purpose of my question was to see if I might buy a used bow at that length. I am on the list to have one made, but in the interim, and because it seems that most bows for sale are 58 or 60, I figured I would ask the question. ( for the record, the bow I have on order will be 64", because I like 'em long.)

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
owlgrowler...thaks for the reply..i understand completly..it was just the people above you know the silvertip very well..but i do understand about the shoe fitting..
  an MOST of the question posted here about the bows need to be asked to the bowyer..none nicer than Dave an Beth..but your post can be taken the wrong way..

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
No problems with a 58" Tip for me.  I draw 30" and settle in at 29.5".  Same with my Morrisons.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©