3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill broadheads  (Read 251 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill broadheads
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Ive been looking at the Hill broadheads and was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who use them. Ive always been a fan of Zwickeys but really like the looks of the Hills. With the long narrow profile im curious how they hold up on bone.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill broadheads
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I have a new set and haven't sent them through bone yet.  But i have shot them into a limestone rock.  The rock lost   :bigsmyl:    couldn't even tell on the head.  A new head will require a lot of work but resarpening is like a zwickey.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
They fly great!  Penetration is really good.  Sharpening is a bit tricky.  At least for me, but i am sharpening challenged to say the least.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I like the serrated edge it is nasty.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Btw i put te serrated edge on myself.  Learned it here on trad gang.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
The hill head is a very fine head.  It sharpens a little differently than a straight edge profile head and it's harder to get a flatter edge like a zwickey.  I use a round chainsaw file, filing from back to front and the resulting edge is scary sharp like the edge of a tin can instead of a razorblade.  It makes for a durable edge.  The heads fly extremely well even in high winds...and penetrate flesh and bone real good.. :)   I've shot them through vertebrae, scapulas, and ribs no problems and they penetrate steel drums and steelbelted tires as well.  They aren't as tough on rocks as grizzlys but I usually only have that problem after the head has passed through the animal... ;)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I have some Jerry Hill BH coming.  I will have to try the chainsaw file on them.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
The Jerry Hills are easier than the H Hills to sharpen(different metals)but the H Hills are some strong heads and fly awesome.And it is not to hard to get the serrated edge as long as you go rear to front as mentioned, and take the burled edge off with a light filing(I use a honing/sharpening  stick for kitchen cutlery)
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Where did you get the Jerry Hill BHs. They were my favorite head for years. When new they were shaving sharp and stayed that way for a long time. I keep hoping to find more of them in new condition, but they are a rare one to find.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Got them from Danny Rowan a guy here on TG.  He shipped today, but he lives in Guam so it will be 10 days for I get them.  

I have to thank lpcjon2 for the 3 Jerry Hill heads that he gave me.     :notworthy:
Longbows & Short Shots

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Hill b'heads..
Another for the "gotta have" list methinks..

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I prefer Hills that look like these. single bevels.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Pavan....I like to single bevel my Hill heads too....it's much easier to sharpen them I think.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
We bought a bunch of blank heat treated blades and grind and assemble them ourselves. I think they are noticeably deadlier than the originals as far as blood trails go. I wanted to shoot left wing broadheads to go with my left wing arrows back in the 90s. I use right wing for my left hand bows.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
In my opinion, sharpening the "near edge" or the one closest to you with a file is the easiest way to sharpen any broadhead.  Have not tried doing the single bevel but see no reason why they would not be AS good as any other broadhead out there.

justin
Hill

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
When I file left wings I hold the arrow with a wood duber I made that supports the blade and holds the arrow firm and I file from front back facing the heads towards me, essentially sharpening the closest edge.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
There are better "bone" heads IMO.  As Doc Ashby points out, the abrupt fade-in of the ferrule does not lend itself to bone penetration as it tends to get hung-up when breaching bone.  Most all other heads are easier to sharpen as well.  I agree, they look cool but the appeal stops there.  There are so many other “better heads” on the market now (Grizzly, Tuffhead, etc.).  For pure functionality, I would steer you in another direction.  For aesthetics and nostalgia, it is worth owning some HH heads, they will kill anything for sure.  Are they the “best head”,  likely not, just my opinion.   I have more than once, seen the blade come away from the aluminum ferrule and the seating pin bent.  

Kris

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
To think that Howard Hill harvested almost every big game animal in N. America  with those heads. Any and all sharp BH hitting the mark will get it done.I have seen guys use super cheap low budget BH's and kill deer.There will always be "better heads" come on the market, but in time they to will be replaced with better heads. its a vicious circle. But the diehard heads will still stand the test of time.Oh and you cant beat the amount of cutting edge the Hills have.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I have a film photo of a single bevel Hill that my son shot through a vertebrae of a 254 pound, field dressed weight, buck that was shot at an upward angle. After a long still hunt and stalk, the first shot went through a rib both lungs and out somewhere. The second shot was on the run at extreme range through the liver. The third shot was the buck taking a leap off of a 15 foot high bluff 12 yards from him. The arrow went up just behind the leg on the under side and went through the bone. Dropping the deer where it hit the ground. Total time from the first shot to the deer dropping dead 15 yards from him was probably less than 10 seconds. This was done with a 48 pound Hill style McDonald longbow. My son had a sprained wrist and used a lighter bow that day. I was pretty sick that year, but when he called me for help I went out to help, there was blood spray visible all the way up and then back down that hill. He is always on the look out for a better head, he goes from long and narrow and then to wide, complains about arrow flight in the wind and then goes back to long and narrow.
I can see how one could say that the ferrule would stop bone penetration if left blunt, like on some older models, but it files down real easy. I am not real sure that there is anything on a deer or an elk that the Hill head would not hold up against, but there are always exceptions. I saw a 160 grain Magnus take a terrible bend on a deer hit and got very little penetration. That person was shooting a good heavy arrow out of a 60 pound Super Diablo. I did not think a 160 grain  Magnus could fold, but it did.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©