3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf stand question?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline laserman

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf stand question?
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
For you lone wolf guys.How much more work is it to use a LW hang-on with climbing sticks than it is to use the LW climber. I need a new stand but don't want to sweat like a pig putting it up. I will not be leaving either stand in the woods overnight.I will hang it and hunt it. Thanks for any input. Sid
IF you hunt with your kids, you won't have to hunt your kids.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf stand question?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Laser,
I have hunted out of the LW w/sticks this fall quite a bit.  It is the best system I have used in 25 years.  I like the sticks as I can utilize branches as well.  Not a big climber fan, I like cover around me.  I just purchased a new set of sticks and will be getting the stand soon.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I have two lw stands and use the sticks, but I have been using the same basic set up with different stands for 25 years.  I think sticks are far more versatile

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Their sticks and hang ons are awesome and very easy to use.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Have both the climber and hang on with sticks.  The climber hardly goes out any more.  Waiting to see a LW 8# hang on.   The hang on will work on most any tree the climber will, and a whole lot more.

Jeff
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
The hand climber and the hang-on with sticks each have their attributes. After half dozen or so times you'll size up trees and be set quickly with one or the other. Neither is physically straining to use, but the hang-on and sticks is wonderful when you can leave the stand out without fear of thieves. I got both as funds allowed.

Jeff makes a good point, the hang-on and sticks will work any tree the climber will and then some.

Never leave the ground without being tied in.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I have over a dozen stands! mainly from 2 top manufactuers, which i like a lot! However this past year i got a lonewolf alpha and climbing sticks. AWESOME!!!!

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I have a well known climbing stand... but bought the Lone Wolf hangon and climbing sticks last year...  The climber hasn't seen the light of day since...

I used to sweat something fierce when using the climber... but found myself hardly sweating at all with the sticks and hangon...

Don't know if I take more time or what but it sure made a difference when it got cold...

Some of the best money I've ever spent!

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
I've got both the Hand Climber and hang on with 4 sticks.

I think the climber is lighter, easier, faster and quieter to use, but of course you're limited to straight trees or have to limb them on the way up.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Have not tried the sticks but bought the alpha hang on because of this one live oak tree I wanted in, the tree trunk leans to one side and tilts back and the alpha allows you to place the stand flat using their offset bracket and seat adjustment, it got me the buck I was after. Last year I was always standing on a leaning platform, hard to be still. Love the adaptability and the ease of hanging the stand.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I have the hand climber and the sticks. I like the climber the best if you cant leave the stand out. Its lite and its a lot easier to put up especially in the heat.

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I humped trees for years, And in my opinion the lone Wolf hang hangon is great. I had a LW climber and sold it. With the use of a climbing belt I can settle into a hangon in approx 15min. Take back off in 10mins.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Not sure what more I can add here, other than to say I agree with Ghostman and the use of four sticks.  I've just never been able to get as high as I wanted with just three sticks, and I'm not really one to go to the top of the tree.  Like most the others have said, the sticks are just so versatile and allow you to get into far more trees than the climber.  Keep in mind, you should be picking your stand location because of deer movement, not the shape of the tree, and the sticks allow you to do this.
Also, don't wait until open morning of deer season to take the stand out of the box.  Practice with it, getting in and out of the tree, packing and unpacking it.  It will not take long to become very comfortable with it.
Good luck.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
I bought a set of four sticks this fall but I do not have a LW hang-on.  For those of you that have both, how are you packing in your climbing sticks?  Does the LW hang-on have a way to secure the sticks to the stand so that they do not rattle or are you carrying in the sticks by hand instead of putting them on the stand to get them in.  Thanks

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I have two lone wolf hang on stands. They're awsome. I have 8 different sets of ladder sticks of different manufacture and one set of lone wolf sticks. I put the sticks out in advance in locations I want to hunt. I generally buy them after the season on sale for $30-40 and try to add one or two each year. I don't mind loosing a set of sticks versus loosing a set of sticks and a $200 stand in one swoop, so I take the stand out when in a questionable location. The lone wold hang-on is easy to set and carrys in on the back with no trouble. If you want to be mobile, just take the stand and a set of lone wolf climbing sticks and I can set up on 75% of trees without overly exerting myself, but I prefer to just have the "no-name" sticks in place on a tree and slip in and hunt with just setting a stand. It takes 60 seconds and not much effort.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline BowsnLabs @ work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
I hunted with the Lone Wolf hang-on and sticks this fall and can't imagine ever using anything else.  You won't sweat putting up the stand with the sticks - it couldn't be easier.  I bet 90% of the trees I ended up hunting I could not have hunted in with a climbing stand...at least not without a lot of trimming.  One other thing I should add is the flexibility of the Alpha hang on stand to be used in trees that are not straight.  Using the bracket (not the hook), you can get a rock solid, no squeak stand hung in a tree that leans way too much to hang other stands.  I think the money spent on the Lone Wolf stand/sticks is one of the best investments you can make if mobility is important to your style of hunting.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
I've never been a fan of climbing stands.  In fact I never owned one until just recently.  This year I did a lot of traveling while hunting, and thought a lone wolf climber may be the way to go.  I got one, and used it quite a bit.  As far as a climber goes, I don't see how you can beat this one.  But the fact remains that I hate being in telephone pole looking trees, and of course, you are limited by which tree you can climb, which I don't like.  In certain areas of the country, it seems there are tons of straight trees to climb.  Anyway, having said all that, I too have wondered about the really light stand they make with the climbing sticks.  This looks like it may be the solution for guys doing weekend hunts away from home.  The handclimber packs in and out very easily.  I wonder how the Alpha stand and climbing sticks would compare.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Jon,

I attach my Lone Wolf stand to the back of my Bison Gear Lost River day pack. My longbow is carried in one hand and the stacked lone wolf sticks in another.

If you're not using a daypack, the Alpha stand comes with two carrying straps and the lone wolf sticks can be bungy cord attached to the stand (they stack in place).
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Karl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
A little practice with the sticks will go a long way!
The Hard Way (not the H. Hill kind!): I stumbled with my sticks the first few times I used them (on hunts with no previous practice - real smart).  So, I put them aside and kept using my screw in steps.  Finally, when I had to hunt a bunch of old cottonwoods I started using the sticks again.  After stumbling around a bit I started to get the hang of it and now they are the quiet, equally quick, and less strenuous alternative to my screw in steps.

The Easy Way (or, if I could have a do-over): Practice.  Take three hours in the woods (not a bad deal)on a nice day.  Set up one stick, climb up on it and set up the stand.  Look for placement of the stand's straps and foot platform with respect to the top step of the stick. Figure out what you like.  Now, take all three sticks and work out your system for placing sticks and stand. Take everything down and do it again. Get better? Good. Now find a different tree and do it all again. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

If after three hours you have not become noticably more efficient with your sticks and stand, well...

I'll bet you have figured out the maximum width of trees that work for you, a system for putting up the sticks, and the proper height to hang your stand with respect to your highest stick.  Not bad for three hours in the woods and way better than pushing a shopping cart around Costco!

Offline BowsnLabs @ work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Jon, I bungee the sticks to my Alpha with one of those stiff rubber bungees and it is rock solid.  Very easy to carry too.

Karl is right, once you develop a method you can hang the sticks and stand in the dark very quietly and efficiently.  Doesn't take but a couple of times in the woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©