3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for ideas? Bow arm clothing in the way!!!  (Read 394 times)

Offline barkrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for ideas? Bow arm clothing in the way!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Sorry for the Dp...

Tom, i will try and post a vid of my shooting next week, always like to avoid bandaids when possible.

Cheers
Family,family,family mmmm... and bows

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
I have one loose fitting outer layer of cammo and I put layers of clothing under that as the weather dictates, so it needs to be tamed. This is what I do. It doesn't take any longer than putting on my arm guard.

I used a piece of 550 paracord.
1) Put a slip knot/loop on one end
2) Put the loop around my chest and situate it so the tag end is on my bow arm side
3) Wrap the tag end around my arm 3 or 4 times and secure it to a strap on my arm guard. I eventually put a permanent loop on that end and just slide the arm guard strap through the loop.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Had the same problem, went to sewing store and bought a strech material and sewed a sleeve from shoulder to wrist. then built a arm guard to go from elbow just short of my wrist. Arm guard has 4 straps. total cost $10.00

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Look for elastic "tick gaiters". I wear one on the bicept of my bow arm, works great. I got mine from Macks Prarie Wings. Oh and they work great as gaiters too. Bet I spelled gaiters wrong.
Tom

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
wifes nylon stocking works very well...
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
Look for elastic "tick gaiters". I wear one on the bicept of my bow arm, works great. I got mine from Macks Prarie Wings. Oh and they work great as gaiters too. Bet I spelled gaiters wrong.
How much you willing to bet? Looks pretty "right" to me   ;)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
I have a couple of coats that this can happen with seem to bunch up in the upper arm area, I now use a large safety pin on back side of sleeve to tighten it up. I only have to adjust it once and use for season, a little easier for me than lacing up my sleeve every time I use that coat.  x2 with checking your form first,  Todd

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Here's what I do:

This is a fleece zip-up jacket that I cut the arms off... all except the part of the left arm that you see, which keeps my leafy-wear stuff out of harm's way with respect to the bowstring.  I purposely bought it 2 sizes too small, so that it would compress my chest clothing out of the way, with no wrinkles.  With the end of the sleeve held tight by an armguard, the strip of sleeve that still remains pulls tight when I extend my arm, and pulls the bow-arm clothing out of the way.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I use a chest protector and a long armguard and practice with the clothing I will hunt with.  I also take a couple of shots before each hunt to make everything, including clothes, are OK.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Gets pretty cold here in SD as well. Lots of good ideas have been presented here, but I will add one that has always worked well for me, pretty much fool-proof, in fact. I've found that if I fill my tags before cold weather I never have to worry about bulky clothing getting in the way on my shots!!!  :biglaugh:  
In all seriousness, there are some great suggestions offered in this thread. One that I especially agree with is that if you are having problems with even a light sweatshirt on it may have something to do with your shooting form.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
the guy from summit stands wraps his arm with his pull up rope to hold clothing back out of the way. is your arm locked when you shoot?
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I bought an extra-long armguard(16"I think) from 3Rivers. It works.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I use two short arm guards one above the elbow and one below.  The nylon trick sounds interesting, hadn't thought of that of that.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
What Chuck C said works for me,also I use a compression sleeve I got at Cabela's.It's arms length and has a slick surface.Lots of good advice given.
Leland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©