3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk and black bear options for aussie hunter?  (Read 135 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
elk and black bear options for aussie hunter?
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »
gday folks, just seeking some info into hunting north america for the said animals plus just about anything else if it fits in.
i've had a kind offer to be hosted in alberta. what is the elk and bear hunting like there compared to other states in the USA?
what states in USA allow non resident aliens, (yes, aliens do exist!) to hunt without a guide or with a local hunter? i'd love to do a DIY elk and bear hunt, plus any other species that would be available on that hunt.
what states are over the counter (i know colorado is) and which are draw? which are worth hunting and which aren't? i'd like to go over there and have a chance. no one wants to go that far and not even see one.
i'd love to get back there someday and give it a shot. i spent 6 months in BC a few years ago and worked on an hunting outfit but never got the chance to do any hunting myself.
thanks for any help.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk and black bear options for aussie hunter?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
lots of Bear in north georgia and the Cohutta WMA is huge. Spot and stalk hunting and over the counter license. about $165 for big game license and WMA permit. Hogs and deer also

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Clint, In addition to information you will get from replies here I suggest that you contact the Division of Natural Resources of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Colorado. I believe these states offer some over the counter tags and if you speak to a wildlife biologist they can give you information on the legality of your hunting there and valuable information concerning areas to hunt, success rates, access etc.. Also there are many generous members here, I would not be surprised if you got an offer or two here.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Most,maybe all the Rocky Mountain states don't require a guide.You have to draw for elk in Montana but the odds are very good right now.In Montana,Wyoming and Idaho,elk hunting has changed a lot in recent years due to wolf depredation so you would just have to make sure you pick an area that still has good elk hunting.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
You can definitely hunt black bears and elk in Washington, over the counter as a non-resident. Lots of bear opportunity in the high mountains. Elk - Sometimes, depending on the area it's crowded. All people and no elk crowding :-)

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I would reccomend Colorado, it is not a trophy elk state like Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah but you can buy an otc tag there and get in them pretty good. Lots of bears there as well.
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Do you have hunter ed certification?  Most places require it to get a license. Just asking so you don't run into a surprise with no time to get it. I know CO requires it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©