3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Motion stakes for turkey decoys?  (Read 186 times)

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Motion stakes for turkey decoys?
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
The ones where you pull a string to make them move.....It sounds like a good idea but do they actually work? Ive found the Sidewinder and the Avian 360 onlie .....the Sidewinder is far more expensive....but worth it?

Or can i make my own?

Thanks!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Motion stakes for turkey decoys?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
If you take an old aluminum arrow and cut it down to length, and put a spring(medium tension spring) at the top or in the middle(of the arrow cut in half) it will give it a ton of movement.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
The other thing I did was to get the cheep colapsable decoys and fill them with spray foam(great stuff, a little at a time) and then cut a 1" hole in the bottom 3" deep and put a 12ga spent shell in it with the primer taken out. use an old alum. arrow with the nock taken off the cone end of the arrow and cut it to length and stick the cone end of the arrow in the shell(will go in the primer hole). any wind will have it moving.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Thanks Tim! Do you think the wind movement is enough? Or with the string moving like you want it to?

Its always windy here in Oklahoma! Hawken came to visit or a hog hunt...he lives in Michigan...and asked is it always this windy? And i said...this? This is only like a 20 mph wind....its nothing!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Very cool idea Tim. I have been thinking about tying some fishing line to my decoy and pulling on it a little. I have the colapsabel decoys. I am going to try the great stuff and shotgun shel.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
If you are planning on the wind, put stakes on either side so it moves between them and doesn't start spinning
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
They will move with the wind, but I like Earls idea about the stakes on each side.You can get marking flags for landscaping for that, they are a thin strong wire that you rip off the flag and hit them with a little paint and there good.

And when I got tired of chasing turkeys the decoys(withe the great stuff inside) became targets . put the stake in the ground and the turkey on it and shoot away. I shoot a 70# hill and it stops the arrow and spins around on the stake.Kids love it.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Just use twigs stuck in the ground for each side.  Also- never had to fill them with foam; if you put a stake in through bottom and into the small hole on top they spin just fine.  Fishing line can work, but getting them to "tilt" and back is even better.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©