3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broken knife tip repair advice needed  (Read 323 times)

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
Broken knife tip repair advice needed
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I was stumping last weekend and put one with a judo deep into a log. I used my Shrade Old Timer to dig it out and I broke off the tip about a quarter inch down. It has sentimental value and is a great skinner so I want to do right by it after using it like a crowbar, duh. It is relatively easy to put a new tip on this hard carbon steel with a bastard file and not further mess up the  blade or should I bring it to a Cutlery Shop and have them do a professional job?
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broken knife tip repair advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I had a favorite and a friend tried to break in the sliding glass door to his truck and did the same thing.
I just used a file, on the tip.
I like the old Schrade Sharp Finger knives before they started using stainless. The stainless have a '+' after the word 'Schrade'.

You should be able to take it slow, and fix it.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I fix them all the time for shipping guys here at work. You can reshape with a belt sander too, but care must be given to keep cooling the blade as you go, and work slow. A file will work just fine though.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Thnaks guys, I'll start with an old case I have with a similar affliction. That one I didn't do!
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
I used to be a full time custom knifemaker. Now and then I would get a knife sent back with the tip broken off. Almost no one ever told the truth about how it happened. Funny.

You can reshape the tip, but you will probably end up with a tip that is too thick to sharpen at the same angle as the rest of the blade, and maybe to thick to take a good edge at all. If that is the case, the sides of the tip will need to be reground, and I would recommend finding a knifemaker or bladesmith to do it. As Tom pointed out, you have to be careful not to heat the blade beyond a certain point or you will loose the temper. Most knifemakers are good guys and will feel you pain and do it for free.

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Thanks Bob, Hope you are getting out to the coastal zone before the end of archery season. I go next week for my second run at a buck and a boar. I appreciate the advice and will take it to a shop. Hey, if I do this a few more times it will end up a bait knife. Don't think Schrade made one of those so it will be a collectible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©