3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting lighter weight bow in the offseason?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Karl61

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting lighter weight bow in the offseason?
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Is shooting a lighter weight bow in the offseason and then moving to hunting weight bow about two months before season a good idea?  I was thinking this would allow me to work on form and shoot a round or two of 3D without getting sloppy.  Might allow me to shoot more often as well.  Thoughts?  Does anyone else do this?

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting lighter weight bow in the offseason?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I drop down to a 45# bow for the winter and part of the summer before shooting my hunting bow.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
It's probably my age (58) but I don't like to shoot a lighter weight bow for more than a couple of days. It just makes my hunting weight bows feel heavier.

I wonder though. Maybe wear and tear would be less if I shot lighter weight for a while?  Of course with spring turkey season there isn't a lot of time between seasons, thank goodness!  The fellows that hunt spring bears have even a more narrow gap.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I went to a lighter bow in October after elk season, just bought me a new hunting bow a week ago Thursday and you wouldn't believe how much my strength weakened in that short of time.. I think its a good idea to occasionally shoot a lighter bow for a session to hone form, but I want to shoot what I'm going to hunt with for most of the year. Just my 2 cents, ur results may vary. And I will add, I was going  to gym during that time and my draw muscles still weakened. Not to say I couldn't have gotten it done on a hunt, but still
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
I think its good to drop in weight but I would recommend a little weight training mixed in . So when you go for the big gun you have the strength to do it and not get hurt.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Of course lt and hvy are relative. My "hvy" weight hunting bows are only 46-48# @ 26" -- pea shooters to some (but deer hate em).

But, if I shoot my only 40#er (at my draw) for a few days it is a bit scarey going back up.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
WHY not shoot the lower weight bow year round. 40-45#s will get the job done and you won't have to adjust a few months before the season.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Why not shoot the heavier bow all year long? Keep those muscles in shape and you won't have to adjust before the season.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I tried this, it was a disaster. Went to heck in a handbasket with my bows that "matter"

Although im working on a 40#er that is 52" just for a blind bow.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Did this for decades, including an after season shooting break, before moving to areas easily accessible for stumping. Now shoot my hunt bows all year long.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Casper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
i like to shoot my light bow at time to work on fourm, but i mainly shoot hunting bow all year

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
I shoot both heavy and light throughout the year. Don't want to lose strength and the lighter weights let me work on form/release.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
I recently ask Herb Meland of Pronghorn bows about that. He said he used to make heavy and light limbs for friends. They would shoot light limbs all winter in indoor tournaments and then switch to heavy limbs for hunting. He said that it didn't seem to work. His take is your body gets used to the weight you are shooting and you should just shoot your hunting weight (what ever that is for you) year around.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I shoot the same draw weight for everything so my brain doesn't have to readjust for different flight charactoristics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I don't shoot my heaviest bows much unless I am planning a trip for animals that require them mostly I shoot 45 to 60 pond bows and alternate them. Then if I am going after heavy game, I start shooting only 55 to 60 pounds and then gradually work up to the 70 pound plus bows as I gain strength. That takes about three or four months to build up and then have time to get used to shooting the heavier bows regularly and accurately. After the hunt, I drop back on the weight. Of course, I have a bad right shoulder that required extensive surgery, so I try to minimize the wear on that old joint when I don't need the higher poundage. It seems to work well for me, but it may not be ideal for those with good joints.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Karl61

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
The reason I asked the original question is last year I injured my neck muscles on my draw side working to extend my draw length.  Got too anxious and worked it too hard (typical!) with my hunting weight bow.  Now, after cortisone injections, massage, accupuncture, and even botox in the muscles I am starting to make a recovery.  I also recently strained my anterior deltoid on that side!  So, rather than make everything flair up by jumping right back in at my hunting weight I thought I would ease in at a lesser weight while retaining good form.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I shoot every day, in my garage. I warm up with my 45 Griz.
Then I shoot my 50 & 55 grizzlies, and finnish with the 45. I have been having less shoulder problems since doing this.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I'd lay off shooting all together until the injuries heal. It's just like riding a bicycle...you lay off for a whgile and when you start back it doesn't take long to get back in the swing.
  I have volentarily stopped shooting because I was getting sloppy and short drawing. After a month or so I'd go out to shoot and shoot better than before. Gave my brain plenty of time to forget the bad stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I had a secondary AC tear in my shoulder and kept shooting my heaviest bows with pain for years.  I finally shot lighter bows to get a better recovery with my shoulder.  Now I shoot my heaviest bows more easily than ever before. For me it's advantageous to go back and forth between bow weights to work on form, work out target panic,  lessen strain,  or use as physical therapy type workout. I like to challenge my self to see how long I can hold my draw,  this really helped to gain draw and hold strength.  I also like to draw and hold arrows for say ten reps without loosing an arrow,  both a physical and mental workout.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Everyone is gonna be different, but I have found that over time that my body handles shootin' a huntin' weight bow better after I have warmed up - during the off season I do this with my rehab bow and then shootin' the same rehab bow to cool down as well.  My warm-up and cool-down shots are done close to the target - like a blind-bale - so that I am not re-programming my targeting device (brain) with a different arrow trajectory.....

Closin' in on huntin' season and during the huntin' season, I have a set of warm-ups that I do for my shoulders (I can do them in the dark to not interfere with precious daylight.) that I have found to work for me because the only bow I am gonna shoot at that wonderful point in time is the one that will be launchin' my broadheads.

Good luck - YMMV.

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©