3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who do you have to thank?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
Who do you have to thank?
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Everyone has a reason why they have gotten as far as they have in their traditional journey. For me it was a fine group of traditional archers from Georgia that answered my numerous questions and one of them, a man named Barry Dugan, sent me a pair of arrows and taught me about tuning. Along with all of their input and teaching I learned much from all of y'all here. So who do you have to thank for getting you to where you are?

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who do you have to thank?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
My dad.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Although the list would be so long (with all) I would like to Thank Fred Asbell to give me a heads up on Instinctive shooting as I stopped "Gun Barreling" them arrows.
...Mark

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm very thankful to my youngest son and every opportunity to hunt with him!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
My mom.

Killdeer   :pray:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I got into this because of my son. He, (along with my daughter), was born deaf, then implanted with a cochlear device. Surgeons said "no impact sports". So I got him into archery and fencing. Special thanks go to friends in Missouri who showed my son the sport of archery while my kids attended a school for the deaf there. While watching him throw arrows at Busch Wildlife Area near O'Fallon,I started to get really interested and here I am. My improvements go out to a lot of people on this site...and I mean a lot...(i needed some help)   :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
My Dad
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
My Wife she gave me a Recurve for Christmas 2008.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
my first trad experience was with a guy from just outside of Shreveport named Richard Mcmullin. He let me shoot his 65# Mamba all evening after work one day and I was hooked. I did lose a lot of his arrows but he said he had a lot extra. lol I got out of trad for many years and am just now getting back into it.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I got into bowhunting because of Fred Bear whom I personally met and talked with for a few hours when I was 14 years old and that was way back in 1964.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
The Good Man upstairs for providing all things for me!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
My Dad and Granddad.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Three of us farm boys wanted to hunt deer with bows back in 1966. We all bought Ben Pearson $15 dollar bows with "Haying money,25 cents a load" and I just loved how arrows flew. I think I'm the only one of three who has ever got deer with a bow.
Fred Bear seemed to make it seem "possible".
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
My dad got me interested in archery. He shot a lot of field archery in the late 50's.

Paul Bruner's Screaming Eagle catalog really got me hooked on Trad archery back around 1990 (even though I've had recurves of my dad's around my whole life).

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I got the best group of archery friends a man could ever want.these guys have taught me everything. we shoot togeather we hunt togeather we travel as a group all over to shoots.these guys have turned me into a good shot I aint the best but I aint bad .I can pick up my bow an take a deer with out any problem.they are always there to anwser any question I have an give good solid advice. they also treat my sons as if they were theres. we enjoy each others success. archery has some of the most well grounded people in the world.an it is the best enviorment to raise a kid in. my sons share the love of the sport with me.they are really into it.I thank god for our times we share in the field.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Myself, I guess. I kept seeing people sitting up on the limbs of big old live oak trees in Ft. Stewart when I was scouting for gun season. That was in the late 50's and early 60's. I asked somebody what was going on and found out you could hunt deer and hogs with a bow. So I bought one and started practicing.

I do however appreciate the help I got from the late Dan Quillian. He showed me the right form to use, how to release, etc., when I first got a real big game bow.

I also give thanks to my late Dad for giving me my first bow a 30lbs. Indian Archery.. for my birthday back in the 50's.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Sgt. Mel Morrow. When I was a kid my dad was stationed at Columbus AFB in Mississipp. Sgt. Morrow ran the base archery range and convinced my parents that they ought to let me give it a try. I was about 10 years old then. I shot a green fiberglass recurve youth bow.

I got away from archery for a while but never forgot about it. I bought a recurve bow when I was in college ( now I own 19 bows). Presently,  I hunt big game exclusively with the bow. I have never owned a compound but have always preferred the traditional equipment, eventually gravitating to the longbow.

I have often wondered what became of Sgt. Morrow and his son Mike. If not for him, I would most likely never have picked up a bow.
Sam

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I Thank a Beat Up old Ben Pearson Recurve I got at an Auction when I was in Junior High, Charlie Starnes... A GOOD Friend, and the Lord Above!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
#1  My grandad was the hunter in our family.

the guys at the local archery club (which is no more)

the CBA

"Oct Whitetails"

I got to hunt with  the Wensels and  Paul Brunner early on, with Nicky Roths, Archery OUTFITTERS.

"Shooting better than ever..." was a very big help

G. Fred tought a class locally 20 years ago.  

LOTS OF TRADGANGERS

f
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
My mentor  Jack Bell who helped me on my journey in the mid 70's.Jack and Sterling Harrel and a few other bowhunters worked hard to get a bow season in Louisiana.I killed my first bowkill deer at Jacks place in 1976 at his camp Bell Havan.Jack was also entered in the La. Bow Hunting Hall of Fame.I miss you Jack he passed in the early 90's.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©