3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting with a bike  (Read 456 times)

Offline HAWGDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting with a bike
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
want to  see some pics of bikes that some of you guys and gals use for transportation while hunting. need to figure out a good way to mount my bow, and pack.

Offline nockhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting with a bike
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
Try to get one of those game haulers and build a bracket to attatch it to your seat post. Then you can carry everything in the game cart, clothes, tree stands, bow, might even carry a dead deer !

Mike
" Aim high and let em fly "   my son Nick

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
There are quite a few utility type bike trailers out there.  The following website has quite of few of them:
 http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/trailers.htm
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
I took an old Schwinn Coaster and bored a hole in a 2X4 the size of the seat support.  I put teh 2X4 there witha large bolt and then put a hole in the balance point of my tree stand and used a wing nut to secure it.  this was 20 years ago and may have  apicture of it someplace. My pack on my back and bow on a sling across the arms as they held the handle bars.  i wish they had mountain bikes in those days.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
You can get a rack from Cabelas to mount to your handlebars, like they use on 4 wheelers, to hold your bow. I have a saftey harness that doubles as a dragging setup. Use a mountain bike with low gears and you can take a deer and your bow out at the same time.
Bret
Bret M. FullER

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Pre stick I made a rack to mount my com****d but it shook the heck outtuv it.It wasn,t worth the trouble of having to tighten everything that got shook loose.Probably wouldn't be any trouble with a stick.When I ride now I just slide my bow down over my climbing stand thats on my back and than just ride.I'd suggest riding carefully if ya do it this way...my pack stand and bow riding on my back makes me a little top heavy and while I haven't bitten it riding down a dirt rd in the dark as of yet I do concern myself with that possibilty.
Good luck and ride safe!!
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
I know a guy who used one of the kid carts for this and had some success - until he got cocky and stuck a whole cow elk in it. The axle snapped and that, as they say, was that.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Full Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
My bike,I have a tree lounge stand with wheels which I am in the proccess of figuring out how to attach to the seat post.Used some four wheeler gun/bow rack holders to some handle bar extensions, works pretty good.

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I have a removable basket on the front for my boots and butt bag. I ride in tennis shoes. I have a rack on the back for my A.L.I.C.E. pack and lock-on stand. For my bow with quiver, I use a storage sheath for a fold up chair (dollar store kind). The storage sheath has a strap to fling it on my back like a quiver. I also mounted a head light for the dark rides out.
Clay

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I've never tried this but it seems like it'd work.

Montana Scabbard  

I've never liked the idea of carrying the bow up on the handlebars, getting in narrow single track is hairy enough as it is.

Me? I just use a pack and strap the bow to the pack, I have been known strap the pack and bow to a rear rack, too.  It actually works better.

BTW, do a search on here for bikes, bicycles, there have been quite a few threads.

Carying an animal on a bike is a lot easier than it sounds and a LOT easier than dragging one.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Those kid carriers that attach to the frame are an excellent way to go.  I purchased the Cloverdale for carrying my youngster and it doubled as a trailer for hauling in hunting equipment. It has a load limit of about 70 pounds but I towed my 120lb. mother-in-law around the neighborhood without any ill effects.  I installed a regular gun rack for my recurve on the handlebars.

Unfortunately, we here in the far west have a few more hills to negotiate than many of you back east.
Lon Scott

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Carrying a bow is easy but you've really got to be strong and have good balance when your hunt is a success.    :goldtooth:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
RON I laughed my tail off at that one,,just tooo funny,,JB
TGMM

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
Burly makes a great trailer that mounts to the axle of your bike,as long as it has a quick realease. Also a trailer called a B.O.B.(beast of burden)that also mounts to wheel,this trailer would be te one I would use strong comes with a water proof bag.The bob also comes in a version that has a shock mounted to the front of trailer to smooth out the ride. Sorry I do not know the web site but im sure you can google up the info.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Here's a bunch of trailers, including the afore mentioned B.O.B.   Yikes those are pricey.

http://www.nextag.com/Individual-Sports--zzbicycle+trailersz2701001z1zB3qz5---html

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Hey Ron now thats what I'm talkin about when I say "top heavy" LOL

I cut mine up on the spot and put the boned out meat in my pac so I think it'd be easier than the whole deer.

I like the idea about a kid seat tow behind
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
I have one of the racks like full quiver that goes on your bars for carrying my bow..I usually carry a pack on my back but I also have one of the kids trailers that I have used for hauling a lot of camping gear...
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©