3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big hog down!  (Read 943 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Big hog down!
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I finally found a minute to sit down and write a little about last weekend's hunt with Bill Langer.

Good friend and partner Irv Eichorst picked Bill up last Friday at the Fort Lauderdale airport.I had a prior commitment with my son's cubscout campout so couldn't be there for the first two days of the hunt.Irv and Bill headed straight to the property without delay for a late afternoon sit.
On the way through the first grove they spied a nice hog and the hunt was on.....
Bill? Are you there?
(Jim@ True South Adventures)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big hog down!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Rewind... Irv and I had gotten a lot of trail cam pics of pigs of all different sizes but a couple of big ones really stood out.
Two weeks before Bill's hunt, I had Ryan"twisted limbs" Gill and Dax McCaleb in camp. Dax had a scary encounter with a big gray boar that was popping its teeth and making bluff charges as he still hunted the grove.In my view, that's a good one to remove from the herd!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
The stealth cam pic above has the wrong date(just slightly off,I don't have time machine,lol)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Some typical hogs and a big boy that's still out there

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm hungry.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Patiently waiting up here in NC...NOTTTT.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Been lying under equipement changing oil all day!
So taking it from where Jim left off...
Hunting an orange grove is new to me, in 20yrs of chasing hogs I have seen swamps, palmeadow thickets, pine groves, open grass lands, etc., but not an orange grove!!
As Irv and I slipped along in the grove with just 45 min. of light left, my eyes were taking in the landscape and fruit as Irv filmed over my shoulder.
Psst,Psst Irv hissed-HOGS!!!
My eyes came back to the hunt and there they were heading right at us, 3-40lb rooters.
We skooted forward 5yrds and knelt behind a pile of brush in the swale between the rows of trees.
My eyes caught the outline of a barrel 20yrds from our position, realizing it was one of the 5 feeders Jim has set on the lease. But it was on the ground, come to find out the big hogs had knocked it over.
Anyway the 3 little pigs came in sniffed around and left, I passed on the shots.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Irv and I smiled at the opportunity and moved forward to inspect the feeder carnage.
10yrds from the set, movement 60yds out caught my eye.
2 hogs were coming right at us fast!
We dropped to our knees, exposed in the open swale.
The lead hog was a big boar, at 40 yrds I could see his cutters, he had been wetting them as frothy foam dripped from both sides.
At 15yrds he stopped and stared us down, we stayed motionless and after a few seconds his attention went back to the feeder.
Walking through the site barely stoping to sniff the ground, he closed to 10yrds moving from my left to right.
Irv wispered "I've got him" -with that I twisted hard to my right, grunted to stop him, and made a text book shot right over his shoulder, my lower limb plowing up Florida realestate...
I turned back to Irv and we both started laughing!!

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
:campfire:  Lets have it....    :coffee:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Excellent beginning Bill!

Little breezy under those machines today?

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
It gets better...
Thinking we are done for the night we walk the last ten yards and inspect the feeder issues.
After a couple minutes of bouncing theories for the destruction off one another, I happen to glance to my left, seeing two 80lb black hogs about 70yrds out rooting and feeding under some orange trees.
Irv and I move 20yrds closer behind an orange tree and watch.
These pigs were flanking our position with no indication of heading our way.
After watching them for a few minutes and  discusing our options, we hear a grunt behind us.
Slowly turning around we find a sow and 2 piglets 15 yrds behind us. She only lasted about 20 seconds in the stand off and was out of there, piglets right behind her.
Turning back to our original focus, revealed the hind ends of the 2 black hogs heading out!
Irv and I were all grins, having the time of our lives...

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Nice start to the hunt, huh?
Bill, do you recognize the hog at the top in the night trail cam photo?

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Hey Paul, good to hear from you. I was actually able to fit the machines one by one inside our  garage bay, thank goodness.

It gets even better if you can believe it...
With only 20 minutes of light left, Irv points a couple hundred yards ahead of us in the grove, to a thick stand of palms and oaks and says "Jims got another feeder in that direction, lets go check it out" OK!!
We moved quick, rounding a corner in the grove that led into the woods.
Another hammered feeder.
This one low to the ground but still standing had the dispensing portion crushed up at a 90 degree angle. The big mean hogs Jim had on his trail cam were causing havoc!
We slipped through the narrow section of woods to an over grown field/orchard, stopped behind some twisted brush and vines and listened for the last few minutes of fading light.
Within a few short minutes we could hear hogs in the distant wood line coming our way.
Sure enough, three small porkers broke from the spanish moss draped forest, headed right at us.
Irv and I got ready, however at 15yrds they winded us and were gone.
13 hog encounters in 45 minutes of hunting and I had only been in Florida for 3 hours.
This was going to be good I thought walking back to the rig in the fading light...

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Yes Sir Jim, he's the star of the show.
Did you know you had that pic at the time??

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
No, I didn't know, Bill.
A couple more big hog pics.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Nice pics ! Those hogs been eating well. Prime vittles. On with the adventure please .
  :thumbsup:

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I failed to mention that Irv had told me of a stand they had stashed in the woods, waiting for a chance to set it up.
On the walk out we grabbed it and set it up(in the dark) in a live oak growing in the orange grove near our first encounter with the pigs.

The next morning(Saturday) I was in that stand. No pigs seen.
Saturday night, same stand, sow and 2 piglets from the night before, passed on them.
Sunday morning I hunted "the woods stand" on the south end of the lease, no sightings...

Sunday afternoon I was back in the grove stand.
The wind was blowing like a son of a gun. Oranges were raining down all over the place. In all the years I have hunted Florida, never do I remember the wind blowing like that!
Anyway, it was getting late in the hunt and no sightings so far and I thought what a change from the first night.
With about 10 minutes of filming light left a couple small pigs came through the grove to some scattered corn I had thrown out.
Enjoying their company as the wind howled and light settled, I caught movement.
A distant shadow moved quickley towards us.
With a grunt and growl as he closed in, the little guys headed for safer ground.
My blackwidow was at the ready as he dozered in to feed. At just 7yrds his presentation was perfect, I hit anchor and let fly.
With a short, deep and muttled squeel he took off. What I saw was a lot of arrow sticking out. I said to myself, to high, to high in the shoulder.
On the long walk out in the dark, it just kept running through my mind, to high, if your lucky one lung, gotta leave him till morning, over and over.
I met Jim and Irv who had hunted together that afternoon and filled them in.
We decided that Jim and I would hunt in the morning together, then look for my pig.
It was a long night...

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Well the next morning found Jim and I in the stand.(we had brought a hang on stand with us and put it up in the dark for Jim to sit)
8:00 am comes around with no pigs seen.
Jim and I get down and start looking for blood.
To my surprise within 10yrds we start finding good blood. With my confidence rising we follow it for about 60yrds and find 2/3 of my arrow.
Matching it and the blood on it up to an arrow in my quiver it looks like 12 inches of penetration.
As we are sitting there quietly discussing the find, I get a wiff of pig, that musty rank old boar smell you fellow hog hunters have experienced.
Rising up from the brushy hole we are kneeling in and looking ahead 15yrds, I see him.
What a monster, Jim and I are excited to say the least.
The big old spotted pig has only gone 75yrds.
The traditional only carbon shaft, tipped with a 250gr woodsman, went through the top of the on shoulder and lodged in the off shoulder, taking out both lungs. My worries of penetration had been unfounded.
"WHAT A HOG" was all Jim and I could keep saying!!

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
:clapper:  Congratulations Bill. He's a beast.

Headed south Thursday. Your story has added to the anticipation. Thanks for taking us along......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©