3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sika deer hunting in Maryland  (Read 945 times)

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
Sika deer hunting in Maryland
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »
I would like to hunt sika deer in maryland this fall,so far I have found Muddy marsh outfitters,as a place to go.Has anyone hunted with them?ANY info on hunting these tiny deer in Maryland would be appreciated.  Thanks CAM

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sika deer hunting in Maryland
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Fisheye47, you don't really need an outfitter to have a good hunt for Sikas in MD. Blackwater Wildlife Refuge is 13,000 acres all units combined and has a good pop. of deer.
Thers also Asseteage Island which is good to. Both are public access, Blackewater has a $20.00 archery permit. Assateage has a $70.00 vehicle access permit fee but is not required if u walk in. (Not recomended).
Haven't heard to much about Muddy Marsh but I believe they hunt over bait, which is not my bag, nor do I believe it helps, just turns them more nocturnal.
You can write to Blackwater for info:
Blackwater Hunt Program
2145 Key Wallace Drive
Cambridge, MD. 21613
Hope this helps

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
I personaly havent hunted with muddy marsh but i know people who have.heard nothing but good about them.get some references.pm me if you need help

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
Cam, Go to this site:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/marylandwhitetail

There is a special Sika section on there, and a lot of its members are Sika freaks. You will be able to ask questions there and find out a ton of good info.. Tell 'em I sent ya.  :)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
there are  sika in the US?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Yeah on the Eastern Shore in MD and VA.

Offline Mr. Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Muddy Marsh has a good reputation.  If you have the time and inclination, there is a ton of public land, including Blackwater Nat'l Wildlife refuge that hold sika's.  The key is legwork - in this case legwork in the marsh - to find your own spot.  Easy spots right off the road get the pressure.  That said, especially if you can go during the week you may have thousands of acres to yourself (and the mosquitos).  BTW, they rut in October.

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
i was thinking about going for sika deer this coming season as well. i figured i only live 2-3 hours away from the only place in the u.s with free ranging sika so i figured i should take advantage of it. i thought about muddy marsh because i have heard nothing but good things about them, but i havent been able to reach them.

so now i'm planning a trip in october  to either blackwater or assateague island.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
All I can say is bring your mosquito netting and waders.  They hang out in the dead middle of the marshes, from what I have seen duck hunting the eatern shore.

mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Check out the Sika section on MarylandWhitetails.com

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/marylandwhitetail?forum=54914

Doug Wigfield is one of the best when it comes to Eastern Shore Sika.  I don't think that he guides, but he will be able to tell you everything that you need to know to hunt them.  He also makes a Sika Call that, fortunately, comes with instructions.

I agree with chesapeakeblend, come prepared for mosquitoes.  They are truly fierce in the Sika marshes.

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Maryland almost made the Marsh Mosquito the state bird... them suckers can drain a man one bite...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
thats our state bird, they are by far worse in louisiana
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the information guys,sorry it took me so long to respond but i had my puter down to install high speed internent(via satilite)wow does she go now!As for the mosquitoes-I am from far northern minnesota ,had a guide service up there for 25 yrs-you might say I'm used to them!Thanks again for the wealth of info. this is going to help me put a bunch.   Cam

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
In addition to Blackwater there are thousands of acres of state land in Dorchester County. Fishing Bay WMA. Most of the guides are hunting bait. Not my bag either. I find the rut most active October 10-20. The  week preceding the early muzzleloader split is a great time to be out there. Take the week and hunt both seasons. Double your bag limit. Check out google maps for good aerial images. Take a GPS or compass. Its easy to get turned around in those thick flat woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©