3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill shooters and mega hand shock  (Read 311 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill shooters and mega hand shock
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Most people who shoot multiple types of bows probably agree that hill bows thump a bit more than a hybrid or a recurve. Given the right grip and shooting style, the thump becomes nothing more than a pleasant reminder that the arrow has been loosed.

However, some people are scared into thinking that hill style bows will require trips to the dentist or at least the chiropractor. For people who shot those bows I would recommend getting the bow looked at.

I recently picked up a used hill that was physically painful to shoot. It was loud as well. After my dad shot it and agreed something was off, we sent it to Craig. He figured out that the limb alignment was off as well as the tiller. This was the cause of the problem.

5 days later I shot the same bow today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Yeah it still thumps a bit but it is quiet, pulls more smoothly, and most of all is a blast to shoot. Even with a dacron string and no silencers I couldn't stop shooting!

Seriously, if you have had issues with hill style bows, look at tiller and alignment caused by misstringing the bow or something
 similar. That can make a HUGE difference!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill shooters and mega hand shock
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Hill bows are that succeptible to tiller problems.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I am glad you solved the problem and have a bow that you now love to shoot.

Personally I want to run into one of these hard thumpers one day as I have yet to shoot a hill bow that I would use the work "Shock" with anything I feel upon loosing an arrow. And I shot recurves for 4 years before shooting my first longbow.   :confused:

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Jim, Craig measured and fixed it. I'm going off of what he told me and since it worked, I find it hard not to believe him.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
I don't feel any more handshock in my Hill as I do with my R/D bows.There was alittle thump when I had a dacron string on it but with D97,made a big difference.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Kyle, I'm not doubting your experience, I simply don't think that straight or nearly straight-limbed longbows are very prone to major problems from stringing methods. I believe that hand shock in Hill style bows is more likely caused from improper shooting form, light arrows and sometimes they kick like a mule because they are poorly made.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Jim, I would beg to differ on that even with a Hill bow. I have looked at alot of straight limbed bows and between push pull stringing and pulling the string around when drawing you would be suprised if you really looked at them and knew what to look for. Most guys don't. I am not saying you do not by any means.There is alot more to gettting a bow correct in the Hill style than a measurement for tiller.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Pleased that bow worked out for you in the end. Now go enjoy some shooting!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Craig is a Great Guy!! I must be missing something, I have  NEVER  had what I would call  "Mega HandShock"  with  ANY  of the Bows I own, or have Shot.  :scared:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I never thought a  Hill kicked all that much. Maybe a touch more than a hybrid.They are actually really fun to shoot.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Jim, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally I will side with Craig and Jason on this one.

As for the topic of hand shock, I never thought I would feel it on a Hill bow either. I've shot them for a while and have shot several different ones. It's the style I grew up shooting. This Hill hurt though. I'm just hoping to give guys another option before they toss them aside.

I love these bows!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Dont give up just yet, I have found that with the propper brace height and the use of propper arrow weights, you can tame the most savage of beasts. I have a Lofton 68" 73 lb @ my draw length that will get your attention in a hurry without propper brace height and lite shafts, but tune her up and shoot heavy ash shafts out of her and she turns into a kitten. I have found that with all my hill styles that they prefer a heavy arrow ,rather than lite ones. You may sacrifice a bit in speed, but the penetration you gain from the heavy arrows are worth the trade off. JMHO   :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I have a 78# Cheetah....don't feel the so called hand shock that folks talk about.  Don't have that much experience with Hill bows other than the one I own.  It is deathly quiet.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I hope you all don't get the wrong impression... my Half-Breed is fine now. There were issues at the beginning, but Craig and Jason were awesome enough to help get them corrected. It's all good now!

Again, this is just a heads up for other guys dealing with the same problems.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Thought I would chime in. I am Kyle's dad and I shot the halfbreed. I've been shooting hill style bows for years. When Kyle told me this bow kicked hard I didn't really believe him. He sent it to me and when I shot it it liked to jump out of my hand. I thought I did something wrong and took a harder grip and shot it again. It was really uncomfortable to shoot. It really jarred the arm. I put another string on it and it didn't help. Called Craig and he gave me some things to look at. I couldn't figure anything out. I sent it to Craig and he found the tiller and alignment problem. He said the bow had not been taken care of right. I can't wait to shot it now that it is fixed.
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I am just glad it worked out for you Kyle. A Hill bow is a terrible thing to waste!   :goldtooth:

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I believe those posting here referring to "Hill bows" are referring to Howard Hill bows made by Craig Ekins. To clarify something, when I posted that hand shock in "Hill style bows" was sometimes caused by them being poorly made, I was in no way referring to Craig's bows. I have never shot one actually but I have shot a number of "Hill style bows" some of which were poorly made and did indeed kick like a mule.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Jim, I am not talking about any bowyer in particular either. It is all good. I have shot a few of those rattle your teeth loose bows as well and just kindly hand it back to person and say wow what a shooter. HA HA.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
kardrunner,

You have PM. You are not alone.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
D Shape Bows, I was in NC and shot a D Shape style bow from Mike Treadway. I now know what you guys like about shooting this style of a bow. Feels like a "real" longbow.... What a fun style to shoot and they are really really quiet as you all know. I could be hooked on a D-Shape bow in the near future...  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©