3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it ever ok to use a release(while tuning)  (Read 196 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it ever ok to use a release(while tuning)
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
If you are trying to TUNE your arrows and suspect you have a bad release is it ok to barrow a "mechanical    :scared:     release" from a (wheel/compound) shooter,to smooth out one variable. Keeping everything else the same (arrow length, draw weight and length)to see if your bad release might be giving false/poor arrow impacts/plaining(bare shaft) or bad  paper tuning holes.  Then by finding out it maybe your release Not the arrow that needs more attention.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it ever ok to use a release(while tuning)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Nope.  The difference in the way the release and you fingers contact the string will throw your tune off.  You have to tune with the exact setup you will be using.  If you plan on shooting with a release, it will be fine.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
NO, I am not planing to use a M release but I have noticed alot of post with trouble tuning thier arrows and wondered if it would help them(short or a hooter shooter) to find the proper arrow spine, taking out one more hair pulling variable "the release".
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Your bow,shoot it any way you like. The only thing I can see, is that your draw length will change, if you use the same anchor point. And if you use a different anchor point, you are introducing another variable etc.
 Try it and see how you go.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
If you plan on shooting fingers, then do not use a mechanical release while tuning. It has an altogether different effect on paradox.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
I use a release and I use a fingers the M release will cause your poi. to be lower and will require a different spine.(stiffer)
I have two totally different arrow set ups for fingers and M. release
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Here's an interesting video of archer's paradox:

You will completely change the paradox by shooting with a release.  That's why the release was invented... because it produces a very different, less variable release, and more consistent arrow flight.  But if you are a fingers shooter, you must tune with fingers.  If you are a release shooter, you would tune with a release.  To mix the two would be akin to sighting a scope to a particular rifle, then taking the scope off that rifle, putting it on another, and thinking that it would still be sighted in.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
No...that would be like tuning your friends car motor and expecting yours to run better.

Must tune to YOU and your release....not a mechanical release.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
You are part of the shooting system. I really think you have to tune your gear around your style. I think adding the release is adding a variable not removing.  I know when I'm having trouble with my release a few minutes ( sometimes more) 5 yards in front of target with my eyes closed focussing on nothing but back tension anchor and relaxing my fingers usually helps a TON!!.  Good luck

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Not if you have fingers  :)
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
No...that would be like tuning your friends car motor and expecting yours to run better.

Must tune to YOU and your release....not a mechanical release.
Couldn't say it ant better!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Its already been said, but when you use a mechanical release your arrow flexes up and down. This is not a good thing when shooting off of the shelf or any other rest that puts tension on the arrow from the side (springy, plunger, flipper, etc.) This is why the majority of compound shooters use a rest that supports the arrow only from the bottom....and recently the trend has gone even further, so that the rest moves completely out of the way upon release.

When you release with your fingers, the arrow flexes side to side, which is how you are able to tune setups that aren't centershot so that there is no contact with the plate at all upon release.

Were you to try to tune your setup with a release, you could get it to shoot bullet holes through paper, but your arrow flight would be horrendous when you switched back to fingers.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©