3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bivy tents?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Bivy tents?
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Looking for some recommendations for a 1 person bivy tent.  It'll will be used on a week long back country hunt in September.   I want to keep it under $150 so I know I'm limited in some respects.

I have been considering this one from Eureka.
Any thoughts on this particular one?

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent  

Any other recommendations?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bivy tents?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Sent you an e-mail.  I would try before you buy though.  Go to a well known backpacking store and see what there is to offer.  JMHO, but DO NOT SKIMP ON SHELTER!A lot can happen in a week.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
A few years back, I bought the Eureka Backcountry. It was a small 2 person tent. Not sure if they still offer it. they have a 1 man model as well. I think its nice to be able to have a liitle room for gear, but thats just me.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Good point VTer, some of the one man tents don't leave much for gear.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
This is a picture of an older model of the same tent. This was taken last year on a 4 day Backpack Elk hunt.

I have used the tent for approximately 10 years, I much prefer it with the sil-nylon tarp. About the only gear you can get in the tent are your boots.

The tent plus tarp weigh right at 2 pounds, it's nice to have a little dry space outside the tent. i am not as limber as I used to be and getting dressed in the tent is a little tight.

Good tent for the cost, I have ridden out some pretty rough thunder storms in the mountains in this little tent.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Appytrails is a neat option for your price preference

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Tater,  I'm confused.  Is the tarp a specific item that is related to the tent?  An additional item that you have added to the camp?

I'm in the same dillema as the OP in that I'll be hitting it several times for 2 to 5 days at a time this fall and can't decide what to use.  I'm a big guy and have already concluded that a 2-man will be needed.  The tarp seems like a great addition if it's not too heavy.  Two pounds for both is exceptional!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
This one is a Clark but Hennessy ihas one in your price range I think and there are others that cost less...

All ya need are trees...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Mike,
   The tarp is a seperate item, I purchased later. It alone is approximately 6oz, if I remember correctly, and that is without guy lines or stakes.
   I think I got it from golite? not sure.
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I have one, got it on sale, but allready had a high dollar Black Agnes, so i wound up not using it. I set up it, a coleman, and black agnes, in the backyard before my trip and decided to go with the black agnes. Comparing them side by side, it was a no brainer, but like I said, the eureka is adequate.  I would sell you mine shipped for $90 if you are intrested. No point in my having 3 tents for the same job.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Kip,
   I could sleep in one of those but the extra weight of the Chiorpractor (sp) I would have to pack along to straighten me out in the morning wouldn't be worth it.....  :laughing:
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I looked at that one and passed (too narrow)and bought a BA Fly Creek, set it up and sent it back, liked it but too short, and front entry. I then bought a Marmot EOS 1P tent, light 3#, side entry with large vestibule and fits my 6' 210# body without the bag touching the ends or sides.
Picked it up for $175 online.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Pat I know what your saying that's why I got the bigest one clark makes (NX 250) and it actually lets me sleep on my side!!!

But just in case I got a mule for the Chiorpractor    :biglaugh:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
OR Alpine Bivy.  Light, bombproof, 60 mph snowstorm proof(ask me how I know) bugproof, and waterproof.

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Might take a look at the Eureka Solitare. Our group have been using them for a few years now. Hard to beat for the money.Bought after market aluminum poles which really stiffen it up for those windy nights.The Canadian models come with the aluminum poles if you can find one. Might be a bit small if you are over 6' but well worth the look. Been in some pretty crappy weather with them.

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
tater,
Don't dismiss the hammock. I have had a hip replaced and sleeping on the ground with even a thick pad is uncomfortable. I got a mosquito hammock that is in your price range and it is fantastic.  I sleep in comfort and no need for a bone-bender the next day. Tarp comes along with it.  It is really great.  The Clark hammocks are probably better.  
No need for level ground.  I bought a reflective windshield shade and cut it to fit the hammock. This has some padding but also reflects your heat back at you.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
not a bivy, but a small two man, nice to have the room and weighs 2.4 lbs. cost $125. very fast and easy to set up and has a good floor.

Check out MEC -mountain equipment coop they have some nice bivy's and smaller tents
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Nice Set-Up!  :saywhat:    :biglaugh:   Juuuust Joshin' Ya!!  :laughing:    :laughing:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I have an Eureka Solataire and am happy with it. Used it on a bivy diy elk hunt in Colorado in 2010 and it was perfect. The only problem would be lots of rain/bad weather. We had perfect weather that hunt. This year I plan to carry a tarp also and set up like the fellow above. Gives some extra dry room in bad weather.

Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©