3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bivy tents?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bivy tents?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Try a Tarp Tent from Henry Shires. I have one of the older  2 person tents that weighs like 2 lbs. is a full tent about 18 - 20 inches long packed. Super light and easy to set up. The price is great too. Look at their web site. Tarp tent. Com

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Forgot to tell you the best part! Made in the USA.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
I second the larger Appytrails,lots of room and I think weighs right around 21/2 #s.Room for you and your gear.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Todd Alexander

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I have an ENO hammock system. I'll never sleep on the ground again if I can help it. They've got a great website  www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com
"If ya gotta be stupid, ya gotta be tough"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
I went to the ENO website, nice pictures but I couldn't find anything about weight or the specifics of the gear.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks fellas, will be looking into these.  One thing I realized following this thread is that I want something a little bigger so I can get some of my gear in with me and sleep comfortably in the same.  I like the tarp idea for a dry area outside the tent also.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I've got a Cabelas bivy tent that I'm completely satisfied with.  Having said that, I wouldn't spend a week in it for any amount of money!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
This is the one I use and love it!  2 1/2#, set out of the elements under the fly and when ready to sleep it zips tight and keeps out the bugs!  It's the Cabelas Bivuac tent.

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is the size of the foot print to keep the tent up. Last year in CO we were on a ridge at 12000 and did not have a lot of room to work with. My Tarp tent was a pain to set up. My son and brother got their solitares up in minutes. They were able to tuck in between the trees and rock s with little fuss. Needless to say I picked up one up when we got back. Just a thought

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
for about another $75 you could get a go-lite shangri-la 5 (teepee type shelter) used...yes it's a "5 man", but wait...by rule, it would really be a 2 to 3 man...floorless, which has it's benefits, a pile of room in side for everything in your hunt, sets up fast as heck, and is one sturdy shelter...I have used it on elk hunts, I'll try and find some pics...the best thing is that it weighs less than two pounds and packs down to zilch...I can stand up in the middle depending on how close I pitch it to the ground-I'm 5'9" 165...problem is that GoLite used to sell just the tent/fly, with a nest or tub seperate, but now they only sell the package...however, a GoLite Shangri-la 5 just sold on Flea bay last week for $227...I like it, and you can get a stove sleeve sewed in it and take along a pack stove...nice, warm, and dry if you end up needing it.... GoLite.com, but check out the rest of the internet for just a flysheet...they only come in green now, but I have a bamboo which is nice for light...my two bits

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Appy Trails 5 man tent $120. Weighs 2 lbs.  It makes a great one man tent. Roomy and you can sit up or kneal in it.

It does not have a floor.  It has one pole or you can use a hiking stick/unstrung longbow or hand apex from above.

I bought mine last year and used it 8 days in Colorado.  I was very happy.

For price versus function, I don't think it can be beat.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I have the Eureka spitfire 1 and used it in a CO wilderness area hunt a couple of years ago.  I'm 5'11" and was about 225 pounds at the time.  I had enough room for my daypack inside and my bow(wheelie type) and boots were in the vestibule which is quite small.  I spent three nights in it, moved locations and spent another three nights in it.  I was not too bad.

I was concerned with weight and price when I purchased it.  I'm still not sure if the extra weight of my two man Cabelas XPG is worth it for the extra room.  It's all trial and error.  I'll most likely add a tarp the next time I use it.

Not to criticize but I have no idea how Tater was at 2 pounds with both the tent and the tarp since the tent is over two pounds by itself.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Here's my GoLite Shangri-La 5 on a MT elk hunt...

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
If bad weather is a possibility, I would always choose a 2/3 man and try to save a few ounces somewhere else. It may be just me, but I would go bonkers in I had to lay in a one man all day during a storm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I agree with texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Boy, for the money, I am going to have look hard again at the Appy Trails Mark V...good call Bob!  Hmmmm...I just got over the pack tent bug and was going on to other things...thanks a lot!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I was in the same boat as you and opted with a Mountain Hardwear LightPath 3.  Though rated as three person it is really only big enough for two people to be comfortable but I use it for single hunting trips as it allows me to bring my gear inside the tent and only use the vestibule for my boots and muddy/dirty things.

Amazon has some good prices as do others online

Mountain Hardwear Light Path 3 For Sale  

it is a 3 season tent....it is very light...very easy to set up with external aluminum poles that use quick clips...no threading or snaking poles in middle of storm or in dark to set up.  You can also use it with JUST the rain fly and footprint as an extreme lightweight shelter.  it all folds up in sack about size of loaf of bread or smaller...and is the best all around tent I have used in 30 years.  I have had it in snow...torrential downpours and thunderstorms....and on beach at Carolina Beach with 35 mph winds gusting to over 50mph using sand stakes.  I highly recommend it as a best buy for the money and they have an exceptional warranty as well.

The Mountain Hardwear LightPath 3 is usually a $250 tent plus footprint but like I said can find it online cheaper many times.  The 2 person model would also be a very light and well built option.

Here is pic of model I own...the blue and white one..older version of same model.
You can see the deep vestibule for gear...

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Check out Kifaru or SeekOutside shelters.  They both have small bivy style tarps that are bomb proof. Their stuff is expensive, but it will last a very long time, and it is made in the USA. I have a 6 man seekoutside tipi and thier breakaway tarp for solo stuff.  I have Kifaru's parastove that fits inside the breakaway tarp.  It is a bit more weight (I cook on it so no stove), but there is nothing like having a hard day hunting then starting up the stove and basking in heat in your t shirt while your wet clothes dry out.  I don't think I can ever go back to a standard tent after a small heated bivy shelter.

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I too would agree with a "backpacker" two person tent.  There is a little more room inside for your gear that you want to have at hand, and the weight would probably only top off around three pounds or so.  The two major types to look into would be the two poles at either end of the shelter (like the 'hardwear shown above, or the classic Sierra Designs "Clip Flashlight).  The downside to these is they need to be staked and guylined out.  This can be troublesome depending on the type of terra firma under foot.  The other would be with two poles that cross each other- these tend to be a bit heavier, but are free standing, and typically offer more interior space- much more beneficial in the even of inclement weather.

A true bivy will be just enough to cover your sleeping bag with a hoop around your head to keep the bugs and rain at bay.  If that is what you truly want, there a few for the price much better than "Outdoor Research".

I too would echo the notion to crawl inside of a few before you decide.  If you can stay in a lean-to/three wall, a bivy may actually work best.  If you are in the open/ under the sky- go with a light-weight two man.  Carrying the extra weight will be very worth it.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Ranger 44,
     I have had that tent for about 10 years it has aluminum poles and I believe the information when I bought the tent says 1 pound 8 ounces, I replaced the original stakes with some titanium ones.
  I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure that is correct?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©