3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sorry Longbows its been fun  (Read 607 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sorry Longbows its been fun
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I'll be frank, what motivates me to drop the longbows is simple, even though I do love much about them, I just can't seem to get the accuracy I want out of them. It's about me not the bow. There are probably longbow shooters out there than can whip me but it's not about competition. It's about using the best tool for the given job. For me it helps the confidence level. I found I was working hard trying to get it to work and let's face when the moment counts I'll choose a bit of easy everytime. I hope no one takes offense. If you shoot a longbow and are darn happy to do so, please continue to do so.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Every bow I own shoots exactly where its pointed every single time.  I just point some better than others.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Does this mean you will have to change your screen name to shortstick or mediumstick?
Maybe Crookedtstick64   :D  

If you're happy, we're happy.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I am on the other side of the fence right now.  I shoot the long longbow much better than the recurve.  

For me they seem to be way more tolerant of bad form issues I have.

The recurves are more temperamental for me and when under pressure I seem to shoot the longbow better.

....but I miss the convenience and shortness and bowquiver...I just shoot the bare longbow better! For now….

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Candles would be nice, but I'm old school, none of the scented ones please and how about some hand holding as well, lol

Kirk I hear you and if I should wander, you top the list.
It's not wandering bro.... Take a walk on the wild side now and then. Does yer heart good. every now and then i'll even take my dentures out and shoot a Hill style bow.   :p

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
I've always shot recurves...never really had a desire to shoot longbows. They just seemed too long for treestands and really wasn't enough to them..looks wise to draw me in. That is until now. I really have an urge for a bow like this and it will most likely be next in line.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
This happened to another guy just after a vasectomy...LOL Whats next pampered chef parties and a Jacuzzi in hunting camp. Dont give in to the lighter side of Trad..HaHaHa

Its all good you will return soon enough, the longbow will pull at your heart like your first love after the breakup.

Enjoy your new found path, may it bring you the reward you look for.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm bit hard too!  Currently have a recurve and a longbow ordered.  Trying my first static tip curve and wondering if the same paradox will occur between my regular recurve and static tip recurve. Trad...so simple it's complicated.

Peter, as this gets worse please consider me for the new home of your Ed Scott.

Mudd,  Might call your brother we are getting clobbered with huge amounts of snow.  Never seen anything like this.  There's nowhere to put it we have so much.
  :help:  

Keith
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Cromebuck, I have built quite a few longbows and some r/d longbows also and have recently built a static tip recurve. I have been very pleased with the results of static tip and do shoot it better than any of my longbows. Had to move up in arrow size and gained more speed. It just handles better and shoots better by far for me. Good luck on your new purchases. I think   you will like the static tip!!         Chort

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »

Not much of a curve but it does not bend. Also I can shoot a low (61/4" brace) height and it is very quiet. Nothing but Terrys Hush Puppies on any of my bows. I am down to one puppie and it is now very close to the tip.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I'm strictly a recurve shooter too.

I tried for two years to master a Longhorn model hybrid longbow. I could never be very accurate with it on the very first shot of the day/shooting session.

This is why I eventually sold it. I think it's because of the straight style grip. This style of grip just doesn't "feel" natural to me or should I say, to my hand.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Nothing but a longbow in my hands, just feels right.   :clapper:

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I started out in the longbows and found the same thing. I just shoot recurves better. If you've never shot a Silvertip you should give them a try. You'll never be the same    ;)    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I love my recurves, if we were all alike it would be a very dull world.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Peter, shooting that Talon makes it hard to love a longbow. I have that problem too. I was a d and r heavy pusher until I shot the first Talon. Suddenly bells rang, lights started flashing, Longbows started hanging . LOL'

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Longbows are more difficult to master than a RC,but for me, that is challenging fun. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't feel confident with one type then shoot another by all means.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Steve,

What can I say, you ruined me, lol. I truly have been blessed with the recurves I have added to my collection. And it was nice that my GN Longbow quiver fit on the Talon. Those static limbs make the draw feel effortless. It has to be the quietest recurve around.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Peter they are quiet and smooth but so is a well tuned Squatch. I have the very first recurve that Kirk built and man its one fine bow. He went all out and even made it a carbon. I have never shot a bow that is deader in the hand at the shot . A local brand is as good or close but no better and they both just smoke and arrow. When you can get any bow that is quiet . smooth to pull and fast to boot then there is definately something to think about.
This year Lord willing I am going to challenge myself. I will attempt to build a fast string follow longbow. Just for fun and because I love string follows.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I want to shoot my Bear recurves well, I have 3 of them, but I am sooooo much better with my Elburg longbow.

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with your decision and recurves are truly works of art but I will never leave my longbow as I shot them better; I 99.99% hunt from the ground now and have killed as many deer as I did when hunting from trees; really have gotten into still hunting and what a joy to hunt with my longbow; enjoy your recurves and hope nothing but the best outcome for you.

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©