3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glass Flaws Bug You?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glass Flaws Bug You?
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
It doesn't show up so bad on lighter colored woods, but on Walnut, Ebony, Bocote, and other darker stuff there is always going to be some imperfections.... Nature of the beast

i take my glass and sort it to find the clearest stuff i can. If you wet it down and hold it to the light you can sort out the really bad stuff.

But we as bowyer's cannot guarantee glass to be clear that is called "Transparent" by the manufacture. They won't guarantee it for steaks or spots either.   Kirk

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
It drives me absolutely nuts. I fully understand that it's not a bowyers fault, but I have a hard time believing in this day and time, with the technologly available, someone can't produce nice, clear glass, without flaws.
Not all of us like brown or black glass. I like nice woods and I don't mind paying extra to get them on my bows, but it sure is disappointing to pay $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 or more for a bow with streaked glass.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
What Kirk said. I take the side of the buyer to the point that last year I built three sets of limbs for one bow with fancy koa veneers. I got a clean bill of health on the last set of veneers I had. I was getting scared though.
End of the conversation was that two customers got super fancy koa veneers that cost me a ton of money and time free of charge konwing that there were a couple of light spots in the glass. These were definately in the glass and didn't hurt the limb at all.

I understand the frustration of the customer but you ought to be on the bowyers end and feel that one.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Flaws like that on a bow I made myself or bought at a reasonable price wouldn't bother me a bit. If the bow in question was hi end bow that I paid a bunch for and I waited months for it I'd be really disappointed

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
To me it makes no difference at all...........I like a dulled hunting finish and specs like that mean nothing.  I'm looking at the wood not the glass.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by billy shipp:
It drives me absolutely nuts. I fully understand that it's not a bowyers fault, but I have a hard time believing in this day and time, with the technologly available, someone can't produce nice, clear glass, without flaws.

they can -and do produce glass without flaws---it just that they won't inspect closely enough to find them--and the cost of culling the flawed glass falls on the bowyers ---i agree billy--in this day and age....they can see thru your clothes at the air port!!!
Mike

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
There was a time when we could get "clear" glass.  But the builders of the glass don't care that much about this industry to do it any more.  It costs more to produce and they just don't have the market to make up for the costs.

I've been looking at glass from other producers for a couple of years hoping to find the holy grail.  So far nothing.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason Kendall:
They make me want to use black glass on everything. I love the classy look of black myself.
X2

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
I love a pretty bow too,but how it shoots matters more than how it looks.If it's just cosmetic don't let it get you down,they all get dinged up sooner or later.Just enjoy shooting the bow.
Leland

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:

Originally posted by Jason Kendall:
They make me want to use black glass on everything. I love the classy look of black myself.
X2

Darren [/b]
x3
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
My belief is that some of this happens when the bowyer grinds the edges. instantly the wood is exposed to the air and gas goes from the air back into the wood . I have noticed perfectly clear limbs get little silvering streaks when I grind the edges. I have begun sealing the edges as soon as I grind the profile. This seems to get rid of some of this but still it is a technicaly unavoidable situation. As to inspecting the glass, yes some of us do tht but you can still miss some streaks ect that are inside the glass itself. We have to live with that.
I do my best to caution and warn customers agains dark veneers but, that is all you can do.
When I do dark veneers I have found that it helps to grind them very thin. .015  However that can get very dangerous to the bowyer in that he can break so many of them that he ends up without enough to do the job. I broke two pairs building Kirks Christmas bow because I wanted to use walnut burl and had to grind it that thin. I started with three pairs of beautiful , expensive veneers and got the job done with the very last of it I had. Do that several times a year and it really eats up your profit.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
those marks are small compared to some of the dings I'll put in a bow during a good season........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
That's what I'm talking about John!  To me a bow is a hunting tool.  The ones I personally use are uglier than ugly.  I don't have, never will have, and don't want a beautiful work of art, when it comes to a hunting tool.  

But if someone wants them that way, I'll make them that way.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
I don't like them, but would rather have the 99.9% of the limb showing me the woodgrain underneath with the .1% spots than have the colored glass.
Same here. I have dark walnut limbs for my Signature and Shedua. They're perfect near as I can tell, but I'd rather risk a few blems for the wood grain. My next one is going to be light maple I think, so shouldn't be a problem.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Mike, didn't know clear glass is so upsetting but thanks for going ahead and making mine. Yes, I paln on hunting with it once I improve my traditional shooting...love the MUTT.

P.S.
Also retired USAF, twenty years of EOD
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Bugs me a little, but I know it can be the nature of the beast. I have one bow that has so many streaks it looks like it has some sort of yeast infection. 99.9% of them are on the belly side of both limbs, which still makes me wonder if was a natural occurrence, or that particular glass came out of the "belly glass stack".     :dunno:

That bow has been shooting just fine, with no changes that I can determine, for over a year now, so it is what it is.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by billy shipp:
Not all of us like brown or black glass. I like nice woods and I don't mind paying extra to get them on my bows, but it sure is disappointing to pay $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 or more for a bow with streaked glass.
Hey Billy, if it makes you feel any better i went through 30 sticks of glass looking for something as clear as possible for that ebony. and i lucked out on the first set of limbs.

Unfortunately all a guy can do is try and cull the obvious stuff, and pray a lot on a set of high end dark wood veneers. I'll bet i have 20 sets of perfectly good limbs that have streaks in them that i set aside rather than send it to a customer. One of these days I'll mount em on risers and send them into you to get dipped Billy.    :thumbsup:

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
No clear here unless the bow is finished and I can see it in the sunlight.  I'll take black glass.
Since glass is the topic many years back there was some thought that white was the fastest and clear  the slowest.
Bowyers was this fact or fiction???

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Anyone have a pic of what would be a typical example?
Don't need to show the whole bow...so this doesn't turn into a "this bowyer has streaky glass" thread.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I'm glad to fine this thread. I think I'll go shoot a bow I was worried about.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©