3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anti bacterial clothing for backpack hunt  (Read 516 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anti bacterial clothing for backpack hunt
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
I, too, vote for merino wool. My only experience is with the Smart Wool variety. Here is a link to a website I have ordered from:
 http://www.smartwool.com/

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
If you like to wear the synthetics then the silver thread is the way to go.  I've worn it for three days and it still doesn't smell anything like the regular stuff after one day.  It might not fool the critters but it definitely is acceptable to a human nose for much longer.  

It's nice for the hot days as a single layer and you can wash it and it dries quickly.

The stuff I found was priced the same as without the silver thread.  I've gone away from under armour because of the price.  I have a bunch of UA that I got on my uniform allotment for work so it didn't cost me anything.  When I pay for the camo version out of my own pocket I buy other brands.

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Look at Woolpower. Made in sweeden, comfortable and excellent stuff.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Now, I dont want to Minimize the Need for some Antimicrobial Wipes, Soaps, and the like.  
  BUT , didnt We  ALL,  as Wee Peoples, Eat Dirt as a Staple?? Always had something on our Hands that was a "Little Less" than Hygienic??
  I guess my concern is those  "SUPER Bugs"  that  LAUGH  at Antibiotics these days. Little Kids are always going to Eat Dirt, Chew on Sticks, Whipe their Snotty Noses on Each Other, or have at least One Stiff Sleeve on their Shirt or Jacket??
   We all have to continually  BUILD  Our Immune Systems, either with a Whole Cabinet of Supplements, or the  GUMMY  Flintstones, that I Personally Prefer! As long as We all try to eat a Relatively Balanced Diet, and encourage our Children to do the same,  AND  to Wash Their Hands before Dinner,  THE HUMAN BODY  is an  Amazing Machine!!  It can fight off some Nasty Little Goims and Infections from Our being the Dirty Little Human "Beans" We are!  :saywhat:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
It's not the smell, germs or mud gunk nor grime I worry about. It's the smell on me that will spook the animals I'm a hunting.  
Of coarse you play the wind but that don't help a lot it your stench covers a whole county   :)
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I have had GREAT luck with Icebreaker, probably the toughest gear I have had. I have liked the smartwool as well, just not as much as the ice-breaker. Wigwam socks are cheap and work well, just dont last as long.

Check out steepandcheap, amazon, and others for deals on the wool. I am sure other brands are good as well.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
so much hype out there for a new product every year. merino wools have been my choice for some time now.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I wear exoficio underwear every day. I love love love them. I'll nevr go back. I find them on sale on amazon.com

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I wear exodficio underwear every day. I love love love them. I'll nevr go back. I find them on sale on amazon.com

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Merino is good stuff, but if it is not too cold out silk keeps me the most comfortable. With silk I never get that damp clammy feeling.  It does not stink. You can wash it in a stream and be back on the go in no time. Dries in minutes. Best anti-microbial fabric. Funny that all the synthetics still can't measure up to natural wool and silk.
Tom

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I'll second BowPlinker on the rubbing alcohol. I live on a sailboat that is too small for a shower. I have washed with nothing but 70% Rubbing Alcohol for 12 1/2 years. It's anti-bacterial and anti-microbial, the things that cause body odor.

It doesn't take much either, a small towel soaked in it is enough for nearly a week if you don't leave it out to dry. Keep it in a zip-lock bag and at least do the critical areas a couple times a day.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Morning Star:
Would you guys mind sending me a link or two.... to your favorite brand merino stuff?

Thanks
I've tried the high dollar fancy silver lined synthetic stuff and after 2 days I can hardly stand myself. I can go 5 or 6 days with merino wool if needed. As far as merino goes, I do prefer merino in camo because more often than not it doubles as the outer layer. I have tried them all, Firstlite, Sitka, Kuiu and imo, the best is Core4Element.

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
I'm going to agree with what most of the guys are saying here. Synthetics stink (pun intended). Merino Wool is the way to go. I'm a big fan of Kuiu and own pretty much everything that they make. For pure undergarments like boxers/briefs/socks I'd go with Smartwool another good pair of socks (haven't tried them yet but I hear only people raving about them) are the Darn Tough socks. The kuiu's long underwear are great and cheaper than Smartwool or most other competitors plus for the tops you can get them in the camo pattern so if you want to just wear the top you're good to go. If you don't plan on anyone seeing your baselayers also check out sierratradingpost.com. If you sign up for their newsletter you can get extremely good deals and they usually have a decent selection of merino items.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I'll second BowPlinker on the rubbing alcohol. ...
How about Witch Hazel?  Has alcohol in it but is more soothing....  I may give it a try myself.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Personally, I'll never have silver in my cold weather clothing.

Silver conducts heat EXTREMELY well. ( I believe it's 3rd on the planet just behind diamond and superfluid helium II)

Just doesn't seem to make sense to put something in my clothes that will remove my heat/bring in the cold.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I'll second BowPlinker on the rubbing alcohol. I live on a sailboat that is too small for a shower. I have washed with nothing but 70% Rubbing Alcohol for 12 1/2 years. It's anti-bacterial and anti-microbial, the things that cause body odor.

It doesn't take much either, a small towel soaked in it is enough for nearly a week if you don't leave it out to dry. Keep it in a zip-lock bag and at least do the critical areas a couple times a day.
Just thinking of an alcohol wipe down in the winter sends my berries running for the border...

..think warm thoughts..think warm thoughts...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
I agree on the Merino.  One other thing that has REALLY worked well (for human nose anyway)- is the Scent-shield LOTION.  I rarely see it in stores but order on-line.  Been using this stuff for 13+ years and it really works well.  Very affordable and one bottle usually lasts a season- and I put it on my whole body (every inch-'nough said!) every time I take a shower or get cleaned up.  Good on the skin too!

Dan over the rainbow in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I agree on the Merino.  One other thing that has REALLY worked well (for human nose anyway)- is the Scent-shield LOTION.  I rarely see it in stores but order on-line.  Been using this stuff for 13+ years and it really works well.  Very affordable and one bottle usually lasts a season- and I put it on my whole body (every inch-'nough said!) every time I take a shower or get cleaned up.  Good on the skin too!

Dan over the rainbow in KS
I forgot about this. Dan's right, the scent shield lotion works great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©