3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: point of aim?  (Read 230 times)

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
point of aim?
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I'm just now getting settled into my form and anchor. So, last night, I shot two different 3 arrow groups. Target was a 4x4 square with a 5x5 square around it. Focusing on the center, both groups hit the high right corner of the 5x5. (hope this makes sense). Oh, and shooting from 18 yards.
My question is, is this a tuning issue? Or should I just adjust for this? All 3 arrows were grouped very tight both times, so I feel good about being consistent. Thoughts?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: point of aim?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Try some stiffer shafts or lighter feild tips and see if it moves. if not.... aim lower and to the left.   ;)

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Agree with Kirkll

Where do you live in Louisiana???
I'm in Baton Rouge
Ken

PS... What are you shooting?????
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Sounds like your form is consistent..Step 1 done.

Step 2...paper and/or bareshaft tune the arrows.

Step 3...learn how to point it in the right direction.

Simple stuff really...You can do it!

Hey...Just getting started...or not...Hitting anywhere inside a 5"x5" square at 18 yds isn't too darn bad bro...getting a group in it is even better.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Are you shooting instinctive or POI with the point of the arrow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks.
BowPlinker, I live in New Iberia

I'm shooting a Martin Mamba #45@28". Shooting purely instinctively. I find if I try to "see" the sight picture, I fling them all over the place. LOL

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Put a small piece of tape or paper 2"x2" in the center of your target and block out everything and completely focus on that paper. focus till nothing but the paper is in your sight then release and see what you hit.After doing this with total concentration on that point, and they still hit high and right then change as Kirkll said. I think you need to focus more.JMHO
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by KOOK68:
Thanks.
BowPlinker, I live in New Iberia

I'm shooting a Martin Mamba #45@28". Shooting purely instinctively. I find if I try to "see" the sight picture, I fling them all over the place. LOL
Yeah me to.  I shoot with both eyes open and as long as I am staring straight at one small spt I am good to go and feels great upon loose but if I'm looking all over it goes.   Well.  All over.    :rolleyes:
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Pointing left or right of the intended target would personally be a undesireable set-up.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Put a small piece of tape or paper 2"x2" in the center of your target and block out everything and completely focus on that paper. focus till nothing but the paper is in your sight then release and see what you hit.After doing this with total concentration on that point, and they still hit high and right then change as Kirkll said. I think you need to focus more.JMHO
worked like a charm. Thanks. Guess I should have my bourbon after I shoot. LOL

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Glad it worked out, picking and focusing on the spot is the key. Happy shooting
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jaypo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Bowplinke and Kook- I'm down here in Houma, LA.  Good to see some fellow cajuns!  I'm also new to trad.  I'm trying to get the perfect arrows and my form perfected.  I don't get to shoot enough, but I do shoot instinctive.  Dave Canterbury said something that made sense- shooting instinctive is like throwing a ball.  It's hard to explain, but the ball just seems to go where you want it to.  Same with instincitve- when I shoot, I couldn't tell you where I focus, but it always seems to hit where I want it to (when my form and anchor points are correct).  But then again, I was a pitcher in my younger days!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm just curious... which hand do you shoot? and what is your eye dominance? Back when i first got started i noticed at any given time my arrows were hitting high right, and grouping there. I had it happen in the middle of a 3D shoot one time and it was frustrating as hell. I had to start focusing left of the spot to get in there..... it was really weird.

Then i had someone ask me if i was shooting cross eye dominant. Of course being frustrated i got defensive about it and said "Hey! Do i look cross eyed to you? or what?"  As it turned out I shoot right handed and I'm left eye dominant. When i first started out i always shut my left eye so it didn't really effect me. Then i got around some experienced shooters that told me i should shoot with both eyes open. They also told me that if i was left eye dominant i should shoot left handed. i struggle with good accuracy for a long time. i tried that left hand shooting for a short spell and gave it up.

i finally learned to over come the left eye dominance, and I still shoot right handed to this day, but i had to adjust my anchor point to get consistent. To teach myself i would come to full draw, close my left eye, focus on the spot, then open my left eye. after awhile my brain adjusted to the different sight window. i rarely have issues with it anymore. Kirk

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
shoot right, right eye dominant. However, you do bring up an interesting question. I point left side/foot at target. I'm wondering if at some point, my left eye is taking over...

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Jaypo, I hink you can tell us where you focus.  In pitching you look at the catcher's glove and throw the ball to it.  In shooting you look at the center of the bull's eye and the arrow goes there.  If you're hitting the center, you're focusing on the center.  The arrow ALWAYS goes where you're focusing if you don't screw up the release.  Even the ones that go 3 feet left or 18 inches high went where you were looking (at the time of release).
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I have found after trying differant aiming methods that if I keep both eyes open and focus on where I want to hit I shoot better groups than if I close one eye and try to focus on the arrow tip. With both eyes open I draw to aim and make sure I am centered down the arrow shaft and let the magic of our mind take over. Seems to work for me after two + years of trail & error

Take care , Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©