3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky Deer Hunting  (Read 146 times)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Kentucky Deer Hunting
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
A friend of mine from Virginia and I are planning to deer hunt Kentucky this fall.  We found a guide who says he is into traditional archery.

Has anyone heard of Buck Country Outfitters in Grayson County, Kentucky?  Are they okay?  

Or does someone have another recommendation?

We just don't really know of anyone we are sure we can depend on.

Thank you for your input, in advance.  

Bob
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I did a hunt in the Big South Fork area on public land several years ago. We camped out in the area and did ok on our own. You might look into. Good luck.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I'd hunt the Daniel Boone National Forest near Morehead, or Clay/Fleming WMA,DIY if I were you..

I don't know anything about the outfitter, never heard of them.
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Check out some of the WMA's.Most are open to bow hunting and have antler restrictions in place.There are some good bucks to be had, and plenty of does.If you want to do an outfitted hunt, thats your call, but you could do a DIY successfully with a lot less cash.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Bob,
I hunted with the Willis brothers of Buck Country Outfitters about five years ago.  They are great guys with a great set up.  The accomadations were comfortable and the food was good.  They are located in big buck country.  I saw deer every day even though I didn't take home a shooter. They were recomended to me by Gene Sanders(G&L Archery).  Gene shot at a monster buck while hunting with them.  Said that he was hunting a field edge and the buck came down the edge right past his stand.  Shot just under him. I hope to make it back someday.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks for your input, guys.  

I did scroung around the internet to find some reviews of Buck Country Outfitters.  They have a pretty solid reputation, from what I read.

Bob
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Don't know this place your talking bout but grayson is bout 20 min from me and if next year is any thing like this past season hold on!!!! I could show you several 150 class deer and 7-8 170-180 class deer. I'll ask around bout the place your looking at. I was in a few weeks   going to post a thread on a public land hunt at lbl(land between lakes). I would like to have a bunch of tradgangers get together to hunt and camp!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
A group of us hunted two years in a row with Ken and his brother a few years back.  Lots of good deer there.  Mother Nature was our only issue both years, with HOT weather (during the rut) shutting down the action for most of the week that we were there.  We hunted the first week of Nov. the first year and the second week of Nov. the second year.

They have lots of great property leased and lots of stands set up.  Ken is a trad archer as well and they do have stands set up for trad folks.

Plan on eating well.

The first year we hunted, a young guy from PA shot a 138 class 8 point on the first day.....chilly temps sure do help during the rut!  Then it got warm...real warm!

Even with the hot weather, we still saw bucks during the day, but the action slowed way down due to the temps.  You will see lots of 130+ class deer.  The largest we saw was at night (driving back to the farm house) and he was 170 - 180 class.  They are definitely there.....pray for good weather.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Don't know the guys, but know the area well.  Have hunted Grayson and Breckenridge quite a bit in the past.
Only thing about getting into those areas in early season is the turkey mites / seed ticks / chiggers...whatever you want to call them.  Kentucky TJ and I got to where we wouldn't go down there to hunt till after the 1st frost they can get so bad.  I live in Shelby Co and it's crazy what 2 hrs of road time does.  We don't have em in my area.  

Anyhoo.....great deer in those areas fosho!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©