3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mosquito proof clothing ?  (Read 277 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mosquito proof clothing ?
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Anyone ever use it? Looking for something light for 3-D shooting in the summer and Hunting in the fall.

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mosquito proof clothing ?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
if you mean a bug suit, I have one. They keep the bugs off but man are they hot !!!! Id rather wear some thin stuff and use my thermacell
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
I wear bug tamer with thin Underarmour underneath works great but is warm
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I have a bug suit (lite but at the same time bulky or maybe I should say cumbersome)(blocks out mosquito's and black fly's 100%. I have some bug wear from Cab----'s and it works great shirt and tights). only thing is you almost need to have some thing over top when mosquito's are really bad they can get through on certain tight spots.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I have gone to a therma cell for any tupe of stand hunting.  turkey season can be bear here with black flies.  I have a very light bugsuit that works well, but I prefer the therma-cell.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Therma-cell here also. Works great.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Just wear whatever you want but pre-treat it with Permethrin. Get a can of Sawyer's, spray your clothes down and enjoy. Spray your pants, shirt, and hat, then use Sawyer's controlled release Deet on exposed skin. It is quite a repellent combination. You can get liquid permethrin for a good soaking of your clothing; and aerosol or spray pump. It is a synthetic form of pyrethrin. Pyrethrin comes from the flower chrysanthemums. Of course permethrin is excellent for ticks as well. Just a thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Just get a Therma cell. They are amazing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
The "elimitick" clothing from LL Bean and the "buzz off" and "insect shield" clothing are all very effective. They will keep ticks, mosquitos and biting flies off of you.

I always also treat my boot tops, cuffs, collars with permethrin. And, if I am going to be still on a stand I will fire up my Thermacell. Since I added insect shield type clothing to my defense, I have not had one bite or one tick. The stuff works. You will never need deet again.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Thermacel rules. I don`t know how I hunted with out one. I did own a Shannons bug suit and it was great just a bit warm.RC

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
how are thermacells while you're still hunting?  I have one but never used it on the move.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Calgarychef: My wife and I use them all the time working outside, blueberry picking, shooting, gardening etc. We each have one of the holsters and just clip it to a belt or belt loop in our pants.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bowhunter713

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I live in S. Florida and hunt the swamps here, I use the Thermacel when in the stand.  I've also used a Shannon's Bug Tamer - with nothing more than a t-shirt under it. I'd still use it if it hadn't shrunk on me or was that I swelled up for it?  Either way my son uses it now.  I currently wear a Bass Pro bug suite - again with shorts and a t-shirt under it. Perfect for the warm weather down here.
Bowhunter713 -
Sean G. Tierney

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I've been wondering about the thermacel, how do they work if a breeze is blowing? Don't the repellant just go away with the air?  :dunno:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I have not had my bug suit out since I got a
therma cell 3 years ago. nothing works better.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I take it you guys talking thermacels are sitting while hunting, or are you walking around with your thermacel?  If so how are you working it (hanging off back pack, around neck? how is the chemical for breathing in?

Tim
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
I hear from time to time 'round  My Neck 'O The Woods  here in Indiana, that  THIS  will be One  NASTY  Spring/Summer for the Dreaded Blood-Suckers, as well as Every  OTHER  kind of Bug Known To Mankind!!  :scared:    :scared:  
   I Sure am Glad I invested in  MY  ThermaCell!! I figure between the "Deep Woods" Spray, and the ThermaCell Stink, I may not have too many  Friends  but I just might get by without losing too much Blood!!  :thumbsup:   GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!
        DEE-Fense!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
ExOfficio makes some light weight bug repellant clothing, I think it's treated with a repellant at the factory, supposed to last 50 washings or something like that.  Something to check out.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
I take it you guys talking thermacels are sitting while hunting, or are you walking around with your thermacel?  If so how are you working it (hanging off back pack, around neck? how is the chemical for breathing in?

Tim
There is a certain amount of ineffeciency that goes along with moving a Thermocell. I only use mine when camping and I leave it at one spot on my campsite. Permethrin sprays and aerosol can be used on bug nets, clothes, tents, every cloth, textile product. Tests show that with enough product on enough material in one area, a barrier actually becomes formed. See University of Rhode Island studies on tickencounter.org   I read a study about permethrin and mosquitoes where the participants had to go looking for a new mosquito area because the barrier formed by all of them in permethrin treated clothing had driven the mosquitoes away.
 With this mild winter in my part of Ontario there is going to be a larger population of ticks this year because the nymphs were not killed by a good harsh winter.

Permethrin is 2,250 times more toxic to ticks than to humans so only a small amount is needed in the product. In fact there is usually only one gram of permethrin in most bottles of clothing treatment.
 (Over the counter pharmaceutical lice products for children have five percent permethrin in them.)
The permethrin products have been studied to the nth degree and have been proved safe and reliable. Like my Thermocell, absolutely swear by permethrin.   :goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©