3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mosquito proof clothing ?  (Read 278 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mosquito proof clothing ?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Permethrin sounds like a winner along with the thermacels. I found the Sawyers Permethrin in a 24 ounce spray bottle for $16.00. Going to get some of that, thanks guys.
 http://www.rei.com/search?query=Sawyers+Permethrin

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Mosquitoes get so bad at times in the Fl. swamps..especially when there is a lot of rain in the summer and all the swamps are full of water. I've had to hang one from my neck and one from my hip. Also had on bug suit top with mesh face mask. I was still sucking them down my throat even when walking on the hill in planted pines.

However, the Thermocells did help out. Just got to go slow and stay down wind or above the fumes.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Roy,

You can save big $$ on Permethrin by buying at Tractor Supply etc.  They sell 10% Permethrin and you can dilute to suit your needs. Remember, only use on your clothing not directly on skin.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
We do a lot of canoe tripping up north, our go clothing is light tan and blue clothing made form anything that is about 50/50 poly/cotton. The weave is to tight for the little buggers to get their stickers through. We tuck the pants into the socks to keep the ticks from getting in. Light blue is very effective for ticks, they hate that color.

Offline WhiskeyMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Bug Tamer.  I've worn the top (with hood and mask)on hot days with nothing underneath. Works great.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks Butchie, you have a pm. Anyone here ever mix up their own like Butchie said? If so how do you mix it, what ratios?

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I mix mine using 1oz of DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate (from Amazon which claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing.)
with 20 oz of water.

It does the job on ticks and chiggers..don't know about mosquitoes. I haven't had a problem with them in Southern Illinois.

I spray my clothes with it and it will last about 6 washings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©