3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Shooter's Paradox?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Shooter's Paradox?
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
OK . . .So I am planning of transitioning to trad instead of wheely as part of my LIFE PLAN to "Simplify."  But, as I read and learn, this 'simplification' is going to be rather complex.  To paraphrase Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) and Dolly Parton:  "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap."  Should simplifying things be so complex?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Shooter's Paradox?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
It's a lot simpler than people lead you to believe. I've taught 2 children and 5 grandchildren to shoot traditional bows and it is not rocket science.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm not sure that traditional archery is necessarily cheaper OR simpler than compound archery.  The guys on this site generally have a lot better understanding of archery than most compound shooters... due to the simple fact that in trad archery, the archer does the work, where in compound archery, the bow tech and the tech equipment does the work.  We trad archers have to know more because we choose equipment that can't take the guesswork out of it.  

I do trad archery because I prefer this part, where I had to learn consistent form with a finger release, learn the dynamics of arrow flight and tuning, build up the muscle strength to hold peak weight at full draw, etc.  If anything, shooting my longbow takes a lot more on my part than shooting my compound did.  

And my trad gear was pretty pricey, too.  But boy, it is so much more satisfying than shooting the compound was.  Yes... very satisfying.  As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to go shoot my bow right now...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Like many things in life, it can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Get a bow thats a comfortable weight to shoot, a decent string, glove or tab, arm guard, & some arrows.

Pull it back to the same place every time, point it at your target and let go.  If you hit right, aim left next time.

We have to have something to talk about so you can read for years on  speed, anchor, back tension, amount of limb reflex, whats a real longbow, aiming styles, limb material, blah, blah blah...

You can cherry pick what you want as you get into it.  The basics are 90%.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Doug, you're leaving the complicated side of archery. The reason those of us that left the other side did so because it became too mechanical, from an equipment side and a mental side, to be fun anymore. Make it fun and welcome, this flinging arrows with sticks is simple and effective. Relax and enjoy. You'll learn a ton from the great folks on this site.

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Remember you don't have to break the bank to do it either. Take your time, find a trad guy who knows proper form, learn it right from the beginning and you'll be amazed how much more fun you have shooting your bow.  I really did. I mean it's amazing how much more fun it is!  When your shot develops go to a 3d shoot and your face will hurt from smiling so much!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
It is also worth remembering that if a person drops a tidy sum of money on a wheel bow today and uses it for five years, at the end of that short time, that bow has become antiquated and is worth almost nothing. That beautifully made longbow or recurve, at the end of the same time may be still worth 75% or more of the new price. And, after a score or more years have passed, it may become worth even more than the original price. Simplifying...? I don't know about that, I suppose we need to define terms before we can make that determination. Using my own terms, I would say that it is much more simple, though requiring much more concentration, focus and practice to keep an acceptacle level of proficiency.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
The transition from using something that shoots arrows, to something that you shoot instinctively.... with practice, it's the most fulfilling thing you'll ever do....

like the guys above stated you don't have to make it complicated at all. learning the basics of bow tuning is as simple as twisting a string and moving your string nock up or down, and watch what your arrows are doing.

you can self teach yourself form, but it will come easier if you find someone to help you out.

The biggest thing to remember is that it's still much like shooting training wheels in that consistency in your arrow shafts and having the right spine is important, and having a consistent anchor point, and using even back tension upon release is critical to good accuracy.  

forget about yardage.... get up there close about 10 yards and work on focusing on the spot you want that arrow to go. "Aim small, miss small" it takes awhile, but before you know it you'll be blowing nocks...Kirk

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingsnake:
OK . . .So I am planning on transitioning to trad...  
"Transitioning to trad" is a journey, not a destination. Don't forget to enjoy the trip.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Simple is as simple does!  Trad is simple for those who want it that way. Buy an inexpensive bow off the classifieds, get the right arrows, a tab and arm guard and shoot your heart out.  It is that simple.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
It takes more to be proficient with a stick bow. However, once you "pay your dues" and learn what it really takes to get an arrow from here to there it does become simpler once you learn what equipment works best for  you. Once the equipment is tuned properly, with the bow and arrow properly matched, your only concern should be maintaining your brace height, nocking point and shooting the same arrows. You will have a steep learning curve at first, IMO, but in time it becomes second nature and equipment is much more low maintenance than compound stuff.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
What they said..X2

I would just like to add that knowledge of what's going on with your setup helps...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I will say this. Have FUN, when you start learning the ins and outs, have FUN, a little farther into your learning curve, have FUN. If it stops being fun forget about all the ins and outs and the learning curve and go back to having FUN. If you do this all the other stuff will come.

Enjoy the journey. Every now and then i have to step back and just go shoot some arrows and watch them fly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
The differance: compounds to master a machine
stick and string: to master ones ownself.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Trad archery does not have to be expensive. Buy a used bow they are as good as new bow and half the price. I have bought great used bows for $250 and under. Use aluminum arrows they fly as well as any. Buy the shafts and fit them out yourself. Gloves, tabs, arm guards, quiver etc, are not expensive.
Chuck

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
It's complicated if you over think it. I see that a lot on here and some guys just like the math, like the FOC thing and all and nothing wrong with that, but once I got my arrows tuned, it's just a simple thing that's a daily part of my life.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Thank you ALL for the amazing feedback!  I have some martial arts in my background, so the concept of 'mastery of self' is close to my heart.  I must admit, I am already guilty of coveting a few of the Black Widow bows I have seen, but I am working hard to find an inexpensive 'starter' bow.

Really enjoying this site and the great people who give so willingly of their knowledge.  Thanks!

Doug

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Be one with your bow, grasshopper. lol

Norm from Canuckistan
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Here's an example of how cheap and easy it can be to get started.  My son in law calls yesterday and says he picked up a nice recurve at the thrift store for $4.99.  It's a 30# 60" York recurve.  Perfect limbs!!  Needs a string ($9.50) and some arrows.  Any archery shop that caters at least a little bit to the trad buys will let you try some arrows till you get good arrow flight.  Spring for a half dozen ($40.00).

At $54.49 a new guy would be ready to start shooting.  You should already have all the other stuff you need to shoot.

Start with a light bow.  If you come to full draw and are holding about what you held with your wheel bow, you will be very comfortable and able to concentrate on form.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
My 2 Cents Worth  :saywhat:  , You are Most Welcome to the  FAMILY of  TRADGANG and of  Traditional Archery!!    :wavey:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©