3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Shooter's Paradox?  (Read 359 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Shooter's Paradox?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
So far I've sold every trad bow for more than I bought it for, buy low, sell high:) No 60 buck release, no 100 buck sight and no 125 buck rest, and no 70 buck strings and cables, all you need is bow, arrows and tab or glove, way cheaper to start, have to admit, I spend a bit more on feathers and shafts than  did for vanes and shafts for my wheelie bow, but I'm getting better every day and the arrow cost will go down. BUT get some lessons from a proper instructor or you will never reach your full potentential of accuracy or performance out of your bow. Just my 2 cents.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Most of the complication you read about is we traditional archers trying to eliminate all the variables beides ourselves.

Don't make the mistake of simple = easy.  It's usually just the opposite.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
I understand where you are coming from. I am also new to trad archery switching from wheelies. Part of my problem is I always want to get the "best" that's out there. Now, sometimes this means the best in my price range. I bought a Martin Hatfield and within a week and after only taking it to the range once I am selling it to buy a Wes Wallace Mentor. Not that there was anything wrong with the Hatfield, but when I can get the Mentor for almost the same price why not trade up? While with the wheelies is always about what's lightest and fastest and the best technology with trad its what looks good and what shoots well. Sure you can get any old bow, but  I think us converters are always looking for the "best" so we spend more money than we necessarily need to because that's what we are trained to do with compounds. But, once you throw in new arrows that'll add at least $100 for a dozen of them. I understand that even though I may be simplifying it may cost a little more to start out, but the returns in the end are what really matter.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
I second, third, or whatever, the HAVE FUN aspect.  I watch people with sights (compounds and Olympic style recurves) gripe every time they miss the X.  I see trad shooters, laughing and dancing when the hit the bull's eye.  Which one do think is having more fun??  There's a lot of info out there and you can make it more complicated than you ever thought possible, buy WHY?
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Y'all are right... it can be but it doesn't have to be expensive to shoot trad.  I was just thinking that a lot of new trad bows are more than a lot of new compounds I see advertised.  There are always good deals to be found on bows.  I just went to a sporting goods store on the way home tonight in Rockford, IL, and there was a brand new Hatfield Take-down marked way down to $379, on clearance.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I am getting UNREASONABLY excited about getting a recurve.  Checking this site and Craig's List (for the hell of it) and watching for a local 'yard sale' special to get me started.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Trad is a lot of fun. For some, including me, it's a way of life.  But don't confuse simple with easy.  The pioneer life was simple, but it sure wasn't easy.  Lots to learn, and you can't buy proficiency.  As others have said, enjoy the journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©