3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 10 Grains Per Pound?  (Read 521 times)

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 10 Grains Per Pound?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Just shy of 12gpp here.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
I agree with cbCrow, I stay between 10 to 12.5 gpp. Currently shoot my Big Jim T/C 55# @ 27" with a total arrow of 625grains. 11.36 gpp. Bow is tuned and quiet.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
What works for me
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Jeff  it is just a guideline.  Sure, it is based in a lot of years expeience, but it is a guideline.  Every set up is different and requires or can allow some amount of tweaking.

There are limits.  The lighter the arrow vs bow weight, typically the faster it goes and the louder the shot gets.  Faster usually means flatter (not always, especially at short or long ranges).  In this case  faster COULD cause bow damage, but that is usually at < 6 or 7gr/lb, maybe lighter, as you approach dry fire conditions.

The heavier the arrow vs bow weight, typically the slower the arrow flight and the quieter the shot gets.

But. . .   my bow at 60# and your bow at 60# are NOT the same and they each require different feeding, care and nourishment.

Try different things out on your rig and decide for yourself.  Deer are not that big or tough of a target and you can get by with a lot of different variables.
ChuckC

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
You should also consider the string you are using. To be more specific: how many strands do you shoot.
An example: with my current set up I shoot 10 gpp. My arrows are 450 grains, my bow delivers 45lbs at my drawlenght and I use a 6 strands skinny string.

With this setup my bow shoots great, is stable, not nervous and reaches 192 fps. I shoot 3D and can hit targets at 60 yards easily. With a FOC of 9 to 9,5% I use the traject stays satisfying flat enough.

Would I use a 16 strands string then it would become a whole other story. My speed would drop with probably a 10 fps and then I would like to shooth with 9 gpp in order to reach the same speed and trajectory.

Would I shoot however 9 gpp with a six strands string, then I would be over the 200 fps and find my setup unstable and too nervous.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Mic W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I shoot 12+gpi I would recommend that you shoot the same no matter if it is a 3-D shoot or hunting. I keep everything consistent so when it comes down to me and a buck, rabbit, target or whatever, there are no questions.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
i like to try and stay between 10 and 11 gpp keep it all the same for 3d and hunting here too
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I shot some 500 grain arrows and compared them to some a little heavier. I thought the heavier ones shot better so I decided to go with 10 gpp. My arrows ended up at 532 grains (10.2 gpp). Thanks for all the input.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I also shoot 10 to 12 gpi. I shoot the same weight at the shoots as I do when the hunts come around. This is a good thread. Good basic information. I do have a harder time getting carbons up to the weight that I like but that is why I really like some of the woods available. I am waiting on some poplars and look forward to trying them in the same 10-12 gpi.   :)

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 02:47:00 AM »
Lately I've been shooting carbons at about 9gpp, but with 225 up front.  I think that higher FOC really helps.  I do shoot beyond 25 and find I like the improved trajectory.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©