3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for 3-under shooters  (Read 439 times)

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
? for 3-under shooters
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
This winter I've been experimenting with 3-under after 40+ years of shooting split, and so far am really liking it. Recently I've come across several posts recommending two knock points on the string, one above and one below the arrow. The reason given being, to keep the arrow from sliding down the string on release (presuming a knock-point above the arrow). Now, I've always knocked the arrow below the knock point and, to my knowledge, never had an arrow slide down the string. The only difference I can see beween split and 3-under is which finger is immediately below the arrow - the middle or the index. Never heard this recommendation for split shooters. Am I missing something?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for 3-under shooters
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I switched to 3 under also and do nock above and below.  I get better arrow flight and tighter groups.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I had problems a while back with only having 1 nock point above. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Tried 2 nocks and immediately got better arrow flight also...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I shot for a quite a number of years with one nock(under of  course). I've been shooting over a year now with a two nocks(above and below)and prefer it !
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
High speed photography has shown that sometimes, depending upon nock fit, that after dropping the string an arrow nock may slide down the string. If the nock slides down this could impact arrow flight and resulting impact.

Using bowstring thread (or serving thread) I tie a series of 7 knots above the nock location and then I tie the same series of knots under the arrow nock. I leave about 1/16" of a gap between the nock and the bottom locator to allow for string angle at full-draw.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
do a search, there is a slowmotion vidio that shows a arrow slipping down the string when released,I've used two ever since. It makes a huge difference.
R/D's soon to come

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Sometimes, depending on the tiller, a higher nock point may be required when shooting three under.   This may increase the odds of the arrow sliding down the string.
 I really like the lower nock because it gives me a consistent spot to place my finger every time I draw.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
You're right, the index finger keeps the arrow in place throughout the draw, but look at the different string angle between split finger and three under.  Once the string leaves the hand, the arrow nock is  more likely to slip down with a three-under hold because the arrow is usually nocked higher to begin with, and the angle below the nock is less acute to start because all three fingers flatten  the string angle there.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I agree with the double knocks and have used it for many years. Also depending on what bow you are shooting the tiller is a bit different for 3 under. Some bows are pickier than others on this. My bows are are all even tiller. I use a tab custom shaped to give only what I need on the string and no more. When you anchor and if you use your index finger in the corner of your mouth your arrow will be very close to where it was with split finger. Have fun.

Chort

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I am gonna have to try double nocking it now... I shoot 3 under and can use any help i can get  ;)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Over and under. (~1/16" gap)
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Try tying you're nock on. Charlie and I have be shooting this way from the get go. Get some serving tread and just tie one above and below, he ties all of mine. This works great.  Thanks!!!  God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Yup. Over and under increased my proficiency too.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I guess that explains why I don't have any troubles.

I shoot bare fingered, and triple serve the string below the arrow---where my fingers are.

That must hold the arrow up against the nock---no slippage even possible, as mentioned above.

No callouses either.

Guess I got lucky on this one. Thanks once again Roger Rotthhaar!

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Been shooting three under for years, never heard of this!  I have only one nock, can't wait to add a second nock and see what happens!  That's why this sight is so great, learn tons just by surfing these threads.  Great post Mahantango!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I do tie my knock points. Seems that the majority use one above and below. Never had a problem with arrow flight with split or 3-under, although I did raise my knock point 1/8". Will definately give this a try - sure can't hurt.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
I use a nock point above the arrow and use serving string to build up below where the arrow nocks, gives you a better feel for knocking the arrow in the dark also having two points.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Ric I am like you in that I double serve my string below the nock.  Used to have a problems with finger numbness with light glove but not any longer.
habujohn

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Tied on nock point above and below works better for me. Picture of one of my bows with this on the (ACS 2pc) thread on Pow Wow
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Agreed. Over and under for me makes me much more consistent (and I need all the help I can get...lol)
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©