3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much bow?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
How much bow?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Just watched Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow."  In it, he recommends selecting max bow wieght by choosing something one can hold at full draw for at least ten seconds...and still be able to make an accurate shot.  As a newbie, I don't have an 'accurate shot' in my frame of reference yet.  Should I still use the ten second rule in determining my max bow weight?  

As always, thanks.

Doug

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Shoot what you have and work on your form. Good form will help you hold the weight.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
That's the problem, lpcjon2 . . .I am still trying to determine my max bow weight in order to buy my first trad bow.  Don't want to 'over bow' myself, but don't want to grow out of my first trad bow to fast, either.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Yes - it's a good, but general, rule of thumb to follow - there are always exceptions, but if you are over-bowed now that may lead to some frustration and the development of some bad habits that may need to un-learned in the future....

One can always develop more strength to handle a heavier draw weight, but patience is necessary to do so....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Can you go to a shoot or a range that other trad guys shoot at and try some bows?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Few folks can make an accurate shot after holding for 10 seconds.  We're not shooting compounds and don't sit on the release forever.  If you can hold the weight you're shooting comfortably as long as it takes to make your shot, say 1-3 seconds, you're not overbowed.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I know that VA as a trad bow group, but I'm not sure about any local shoots.  I have shot my wheelie down at Ft. Belvoir, but I have not actively particpated in any group events, so I do not know what percentage of shooters are trad guys.  I'll will try to get hands on some trad bows to try before I buy...

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Snap shooters, those who draw down on an animal and release the arrow when they come to their anchor point, never hold for 10 seconds. Once they reach their anchor point, the arrow is immediately released.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
I didn't think Mr. Ferguson was implying the shooter should always hold. . .I think that was just his recommendation for determining max bow weight for shooter.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I would not advise going by those rules as a newbie to trad........it depends too much on what muscles you are using-arms or back-and whether your draw stays the same or are you collapsing to accommodate the heavier pull. Get with some other trad guys and shoot some different bows.  A 40-45# bow is typically a good place to start for someone with good musculature and a 27-28" draw.

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Roger Rothhaar told me once the way to find your correct pulling weight is by finding out what is the maxium weight one can bring to anchor and hold...then subtract 30% off that weight and should be the weight for your bow.
Example = 80 lb max pull subtract 30% and your bow weight should be 80 minus 24lbs = 56 lb holdig weight.
Always made sense to me.
George
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
pm'd you

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Id just get a 45# and try that. It wont be too much, but it will still be heavy enough to hunt with. If it's not heavy enough for your liking, you will want a new bow by then anyways   :D
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
I would think about getting a takedown or an ilf riser that you liked and then pick up a set of cheap 40lb limbs. Once you get good you can get a heavier and nicer set of limbs to hunt with.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
I used to shoot 70+ pound compounds no problem.  When I started shooting trad I found out pretty quick that 45 pounds was plenty to start with. My everyday shooter bow is still 45 pound now after three years at it.. I'm with the last two fellas to post, 40-45 pounds. You can always move up later.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I shot a 45 and a 50 at Bass Pro last week.  Felt ok with both, but hadn't thought about whether or not I was 'collapsing to accomodate the heavier weight,' as Bjorn said.  Much to thinnk about in this new venture.  Looking forward to getting to where I can shoot more, think less!   :)

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Depends on how far you want to shoot the arrow into the dirt after going thru the deer!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I agree with Orion.  Big time.  We all have a different style of shooting, and needs to further that style, but, except for my buddy J. . .  I typically don't ever see anybody holding a bow for ten seconds, or even five (he can hold one drawn all day I think).

It was a nice catchy thing to say for the public viewers, but. . . like G Fred's elephant stance statement in one of his books (where he holds his bow between his legs, facing down, all twisted up and says  "this is the test for whether your bow is too heavy"), my response is. . HUH ?  when do I EVER shoot like that ?

I think you will know if it is truly too heavy, if you open your eyes.
ChuckC

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Doug,  The Baltimore shoot in May is a good shoot to try out a lot of different bows and a chance to meet a lot of trad shooters.  I have not seen any regular trad gatherings in Northern Virginia.  There are not any good trad shops in the area either but there is a shop in Mt Airy MD that has some trad gear and a guy that is afraid hunter. Other than that there are a few of us on the Gang from NOVA that would be glad to shoot with you some time. I shoot down at Belvoir myself on ocassion.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Pulling back a bow in the shop a few times is not the same as shooting 50 or 100 arrows.  In my opinion, there is no "formula".  My suggestion to anyone who asks is to get your hands on a 40# or so bow and a half dozen appropriate arrows and just learn how to shoot correctly.  If you're only interested in roving or 3D shoots, 40# is fine and easy on the joints.  If you plan to hunt, you can slowly work up from there.  There is no getting around the fact (again in my opinion) that you really need to work your way up in weight.
Cost is minimal if you pick up an old used bow at a yardsale, in the classifieds here or on an auction site; or even better borrow a bow from someone.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©