3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much bow?  (Read 932 times)

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much bow?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Kingsnake, need to ask yourself what you are planning to do with the bow. I see you live in Va. Am I correct in assuming that deer hunting is what you are thinking of. If so around a #45 bow give or take a couple #'s will take care of all you want to do. It will be more enjoyable for you to shoot. Too heavy even if you can pull it will lead to all kinds of potential problems. My first bow was #45 and I was persuaded by Glen StCharles to this weight back in the early 70's when he was running his own shop with lots of different bows! He told me then that weight would handle most everthing in Wa state. Also, Welcome to the gang.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I've been through a lot of bows in the last 2 years and have pretty much gotten my money back out of each one I sold. I have bought one new bow and plan to buy at least one more, but the rest have all been used bows for a fair price. I've sold them for pretty much what they cost +- a couple of dollars. It's easy to trade up later without spending much more money.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Lots of good advice here. Everybody has their own style, and that style will determine your bow. I used to snapshoot heavy recurves. I wasn't terribly accurate at it but just thought thats how it goes. When I changed to holding, something clicked for me.  Just as snap shooting clicks for others.
I use the ten second hold as a measure for myself but not set in stone. My accuracy improved drastically.
Try EVERYTHING. You will find your niche!
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
The old rule of thumb for compound shooters switching to curves that you should start at 25% of the max compound weight worked like a charm for me.  I was pulling 60# and went to recurves that were 44-46#@26" (my draw).

I'm absolutely confident I can pull, anchor, and hold for 10 seconds or more, recurves at least 15 #'s higher than I would be comfortable shooting correctly.  So, that 10 second rule isn't one I'll subscribe too.

I shoot as far through white-tails with my recurve set-up, with arrows 100-125 grains heavier, as I did with my 60# compounds.

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I started with a longbow and a draw weight of around 45# at my draw. An even lighter bow would have been a good choice!!
Just a suggestion: If you have the opportunity to rent or buy a starter or used take-down bow it will grow with you and your increasing strength, because you can change the limbs in 5# increments.
This is a popular way to start archery over here. You will save some bucks.
The final draw weight depends imho on what you wanna do with your bow: for bowhunting you may  just need to be able to draw it a couple of times without undue strain. Field archery or 3D-shoots are different. Attending these tournaments will require to draw your bow with ease up to 100 times over the course of a day.
Just my 2cents. Anyway enjoy Trad Archery.
Vincent
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I started with a 45 pound bow that was about 40 pounds at the time for my draw length. However I started traditional archery when I was 12 so I was able to build up pretty quickly just thanks to a growth spurt. I now shoot 55 pounds and I am 18 I have no plans to move up in bow weight anymore even though I can comfortably shoot 60 to 65 pounds as I do shoot the 55 pounds better.
James Kerr

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I agree with these Fine Folks, something around 45 to 50 lbs. will be a Fine Starter Bow.  :thumbsup:  
  It may seem light, but with a SHARP B.H. and Good Form for Accuracy, you can pretty much Harvest whatever Critter youre After!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
what shakes602 said. you can kill deer an other game all day long with 45-50 lbs I would think MOST healthy adults can pull a 45-50 lb bow.that said if you are just flinging arrows an shooting 3-d go with 40-45 the nice thing about 50 lbs is it has a great punch an when hunting with heavey clothes  or very cold weather it is still very comfortable.as oppossed to 60-65 lbs.you may be able to pull it back an shoot half desent.but maybe not cold weather or bulky clothes.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
A beginner weight bow should not cause any strain or effort. If you can hold it at full draw for 10 seconds without shaking, that is a good weight to learn form and how to shoot it. Once you learn proper form and are accurate then you can increase weight a bit that still allows you to maintain your form.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I would assume Byron came to that statement to help keep folks from being overbowed.  If you can hold a bow for 10 seconds and get a good release, you can shoot lots of arrows without getting tired and developing bad form.  I started out at around 50#.It worked great for me.  I would say that anything 45- 50 # would be good, and you can still hunt with it.  Don't count on it being the only bow you end up buying    :nono: .  I thought that, then had heavier limbs made for my recurve, then bought some longbows.  Start lower than you think you might end up with, but keep it in a weight range effective for hunting.  then you can get your form down, hunt with it, and try more styles and weights as your ring of Traditional friends and opportunities expand.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Swamp thing is dead on.
Pm me with your location.  I have a lot of bows of different weights and a place to shoot them.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I just started shooting this past summer.  I got the lowest poundage that I was legally allowed to take game with in Penna (35#).  I've been shooting almost daily since I got my bow.

I just ordered a new one- only 45#.  

I'd suggest getting a lighter bow.  You'll learn form more properly, and can shoot forever.  If you enjoy shooting you'll end up getting a new one anyway, and then have a nice backup bow to revisit when your form is lacking, or a buddy bow for another newbie to try.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Killy, ver nice offer and Doug would be very smart to take you up on it.

Doug, she knows her stuff and quite sure she will help you a lot.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kingsnake:
Just watched Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow."  In it, he recommends selecting max bow wieght by choosing something one can hold at full draw for at least ten seconds...and still be able to make an accurate shot.  As a newbie, I don't have an 'accurate shot' in my frame of reference yet.  Should I still use the ten second rule in determining my max bow weight?  

As always, thanks.

Doug
if yer a newbie to trad, there will be some adjusting and changes to accept for draw length and bow holding weight.  everyone goes through this as a first timer to trad.  it's a major gamble to *think* a draw length and holding weight will 'work' just fine from the get-to, 'cause the safe bet is it all will change far sooner than later.  the absolute best thing you can do is get yerself a knowledgeable mentor, and killie has stepped up to the plate to help ya - yer lucky.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm 5' 8" and 150#, started shooting trad three years ago with a 45# bow. I now shoot about 50 to 53#. I can draw a 60# bow but would be over bowed at that weight. My brother shoots a trad bow only a few times a year and shoots 40# and he's 15# heaver than I. Hope this helps to give you a perspective.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
IF you can sit on a stump or chair and pull the bow back without a problem or lifting your feet you should be good to go. 30-40 pounds is a good place to start for most.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I can pull a pretty heavy bow.  I work out with a longbow that's 67# at my draw, pulling with left and right hands for my daily bow workout.  But I am very pleased with how I shoot my 48# bow, and until I go after some pretty heavy-duty critters, it will work just fine.  Remember, if you push yourself to the limit, you'll have a number of undesirable results:  
You'll wear out more quickly
You'll have a harder time getting a clean release
You'll have trouble if you're cold
You'll just have less control all around

I really like that I can shoot that 48-pounder forever and my muscles just never seem to get tired.

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I can pull a pretty heavy bow.  I work out with a longbow that's 67# at my draw, pulling with left and right hands for my daily bow workout.  But I am very pleased with how I shoot my 48# bow, and until I go after some pretty heavy-duty critters, it will work just fine.  Remember, if you push yourself to the limit, you'll have a number of undesirable results:  
You'll wear out more quickly
You'll have a harder time getting a clean release
You'll have trouble if you're cold
You'll just have less control all around

I really like that I can shoot that 48-pounder forever and my muscles just never seem to get tired.

Archie
imho, archie has totally nailed it.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:     :campfire:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I find there is a sweet spot.  Too low and my arrow just feels "loopy", I string vertically and my release sloppy.  Too heavy and I'm strugging and inconsistant or have trouble in odd positions.  My sweet spot is right around 55# at my draw length - which I can hold for 30 seconds or better - but might as well not as that shot probably won't be a good one.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Kingsnake, I'm at Ft Belvoir. Send me a PM if you want to get together sometime. I have three bows you can try. A Martin x-200 50@28, A Trad Tech Black Onyx with LB limbs 44@28, and a 7 Lakes LB 53@28. My draw is 30 1/2, but I just went and checked them at a 28 for you. Just let me know, my schedule is pretty flexible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©