3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Hunters: Which of these two arrows would you prefer?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Hunters: Which of these two arrows would you prefer?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Option #1:

or

Option #2:

Being a novice, the relatively flatter trajectory would be welcome but I don't want it if it compromises on penetration, particularly bone or shield hits on large hogs.

Thanks.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunters: Which of these two arrows would you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
The amount of energy for both is about the same, so penetration would be around the same. Placing the arrow is they key to getting the best penetration.Oh and Im not into the FOC thing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
And I am at the stage where I don't know if I should be into the 'FOC thing' or not. Hence, the question.

The KE is pretty similar but have a look at the momentum values mentioned beside each.

Arrow placement and broadhead sharpness aside, would the lighter shaft be able to breach bone on a big hog?

Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
From a 65# bow I think either one would work but I would lean toward option #1 because of the higher momentum value. (I am in the higher FOC club and can tell you through experience that I get better penetration with higher FOC).

Bisch

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Thanks, Bisch.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Pick the one you are most accurate with!

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
TVG: At this point of time, I only have the arrows mentioned in option # 1.

However, I am willing to buy new shafts if the general consensus favours option # 2.

Thanks.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:00 AM »
stick with what you got! but both would work just fine. Are you going to be boar hunting in India?
Semper Fidelis

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
Yes but only if I get permission from the authorities.

A couple of states already have legal boar hunting but I am not familiar with the details.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
They're both great arrows for hog hunting since they're both being shot from a 65# bow.

If it was me, I'd go with Option #2 simply because the 592 grain arrow is traveling at 190 fps whereas Option #1's 667 grain arrow is traveling at 179 fps.

Option #2's arrow might only have 11.7% FOC compared with Option #1's 16.0% FOC, but that 11 fps in arrow speed is going to make up for the lower FOC and since the bow is 65#, I don't think you'd need a very high FOC percentage because of the high bow poundage.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Is your center cut on your bow really 1/4"?  That seems really high to me, and will have quite an impact on your arrow selection.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Night Wing: Your reasoning is precisely what is causing the indecision on my part. Having said that, the extra zip from opt. # 2 still does not produce as much momentum as the arrow in opt. # 1.

Whip: The bow has yet to be made but the only way I can use my existing arrows (option # 1) is if the strike plate is 1/4" from centre. It is a concern.
P.S.: I currently use the arrows in opt. # 1 with a 60# @ 28" bow.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions are most welcome.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Dodger,

Your bow is going to be 65#, not like the 42# bow I shoot. You've got plenty of momentum with the Option #2 arrow. For me, I'd more concerned about momentum when it comes to the light weight bows like the ones I shoot (42# & 37#).

In other words, you're going to be shooting a very heavy weight bow. If you decide to take a shot at a big hog, say at 25 yards, that 11 fps extra speed is going to come into play with regards to a much flatter shooting arrow which will make shooting a longer yardage distance shot easier for you.

To sum up, with the lighter FOC percentage for Option #2, speed also............KILLS. With a 65# bow, you've got plenty of momentum to dispatch a hog and you're going to get very good penetration with this arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Remember something.  A 65# bow is only that.  That name, or statement does not tell you anything else.  It might HINT at other things.  It might give you cause to EXPECT certain things.

The only way to actually know those numbers (arrow weight / speed / FOC / mechanical advantage) is to actually experiment with your system.  As you can see here, one man's 65 pound bow may give 170 fps speed to a certain arrow weight while anothers might give much more.  

In the end, the arrow and broadhead make the kill, make the impact, make the penetration,  the bow only starts it on its way.

I am not smart enough to know if 11 fps on a light arrow or 5% FOC difference or 70+ grains difference (well over ten percent difference) will make it be a better penetrating arrow.  But with some testing you will find out.  

Remember too, that a lighter arrow often makes the bow much noisier at the shot as it doesn't take or allow transfer of as much energy from the bow.

Just saying
Chuck

Offline collofthewild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I am in the FOC club.

I would opt for option #1. I am a believer in what Dr. Ashby has to say. if you havent already, take a look at some of his reports and what he as to say about FOC.

Granted his studies and reports have to do with high bone threshold animals such as asian and water buffs. but that doesnt mean we cant take it and make it work with our setups with a little adjusting. Just my 2 cents worth..... Bottom line, go with what your comfortable with and shoot the better of.

Happy hunting and good luck!!

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Sharp BH placed low and forward from a well tuned setup.  Go with what shoots best.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Dodger, A couple thoughts...

1-Your're worrying way to much!

2- Use what you have, they'll be fine.

3-all but the big sheilded hogs are not hard to shoot thru. Probably 90% of the hogs encountered will be on the smallish side,less than #150.

4-finely tune the arrows you have, learn how to shoot them accurately with sharp bh's, and you'll kill hogs!!

5- Most important, have fun with the journey, and when it all comes together you'll think back and say to yourself..."why did I make this all seem so complicated"     ;)      :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Your arrows are good! Don't forget your camera-we want to see dead piggie pics from India!!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
X2 with Guru and Bjorn.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Night Wing: Your points are valid. Were they not so, there would not have been a second option. My only concern is that arrow # 2 may not have the required momentum to breach bone after cutting through a heavy shield should the shot not be perfect.

After reading the replies and having thought about it, I am seriously considering having the new bow made to the same draw weight and specifications as my existing one (60# @ 28"). 60# should be sufficient and I am not getting any younger. Plus, I get a back-up bow of similar poundage and the arrows would have the same trajectory. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I thank you all for your replies and do not for a moment think your replies were in vain. They helped me a lot in coming to a decision.

Thanks everyone!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©