3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Shooters Wingspan/ Draw length  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Shooters Wingspan/ Draw length
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 03:10:00 AM »
Hill and Schulz measured arrows "net"...meaning Hill's 28" arrows were 27" bop by todays standards because there was 1" of arrow inside the head.  Schulz's 26"draw would be 25" by todays standards.  Schulz is around 5'7" or 5'8"  so that draw length would be proportionate with Hill's larger size and longer draw.  Schulz also shot shorter longbows around 64" alot...again, he was keeping  things the proper proportions.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
All these long draws posted...you guys really pulling that long while shooting at game or intense pressure targets?  Most of the time when really concentrating on the target our draws are shorter than we think or what we see in the mirror.  A video of our shooting while stump shooting reveals alot about our true draw length.
spot on, nate.     :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Nate,
On the yardstick measure do you keep you shoulders pinned against the wall or do you arch your shoulders forward? When I arch my shoulders forward I get 26.5" but with my shoulder against the wall I get closer to 23-24"( I have a 72.5"span).   :confused:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
The absolute best way to measure a draw length, is to do it while shooting. Mark an arrow with some rings of varying color every 1/2". Have an observer with a keen eye, watch you shoot a dozen or so arrows and take note of each shot. It's best if they don't tell you what they are seeing at the time, so you can just focus on your target, and so you don't try to reach any particular draw length. If you have a camera with a burst mode, all the better.

I had my wife take some pictures of me a couple of weeks ago. It's hard to tell in that picture, but there are rings around the shaft at 30, 30.5, and 31". The 31" ring is right above my index finger and the 30.5" is just hidden by the riser.  Again, this was taken while I was focused on hitting my target and not posing for a picture. The rings on the shaft were almost gone from wear, and I wasn't using this particular photo session to determine my draw length, but you get the idea.

A word of warning, though. If you post a picture of yourself, a whole clan of yahoos will commence to screwing up your form   :)  .

Oh, and don't shoot a bow with your favorite mechanical pencil in your shirt pocket. It's amazing just how far one will fly if the bowstring hooks onto the clip.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Looper,  you must have heard comments about your form...  :knothead:    :biglaugh:  from us yahoos...

seriously,  the colored ring method while actually shooting is the best way to know your draw length...because when you actually shoot under pressure, that draw length is what you want your bow weight/arrow spine everything tuned to.  So many guys who are frustrated with arrow spine don't realize that they are pulling less weight than they think, with shorter arrows of the correct spine they would find their arrows flying well. The key is to not stretch out your form just to get to a certain draw length...go with what works for your body size, arm length, comfort and repeatability/consitency.  A natural, relaxed easily repeatable draw length is what is good.

I do the yardstick, arrow method while just keeping my shoulders relaxed and back....not forcing them back against a wall, and not reaching forward...just what feels natural.

I think Jeff brought up this thread as a starting point measureing stick for guys who want to order a Hill bow and have no clue about where to start. With the popularity of the HH thread, there are many guys who are looking at buying  their first "Hill".

Offline hawaiiarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Hill and Schulz measured arrows "net"...meaning Hill's 28" arrows were 27" bop by todays standards because there was 1" of arrow inside the head.  Schulz's 26"draw would be 25" by todays standards.  Schulz is around 5'7" or 5'8"  so that draw length would be proportionate with Hill's larger size and longer draw.  Schulz also shot shorter longbows around 64" alot...again, he was keeping  things the proper proportions.
Nate,
Did Hill and Schulz use a longer arrow by 1" for broadheads and did the wood arrow spine change?

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
I shoot net arrows five pounds less spine than my broadheads which are cut so I can touch my finger at full draw. While I apologize for not seeing what was wrong with looper's form two weeks ago. I see it now, its all in the hat. Bending a hat with the bow string messes me up every time, stops my draw cold the instant it touches. My leather Orvis hat, I have it bent up so that never happens. I have shot lots of deer on the ground with that stiff leather hat with the brim bent up kittie corner. The deer take one look at me and think I must nothing more than a gay peta photographer or something. I never thought that it looked gay until a gay guy in a gas station said that is was a 'smashing design statement'. I don't know what that is, but it cannot be good.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
That's the only hat I own that I can shoot with and have the string touch the brim. My Filson Packer hat is way too stiff. I do have some of those soft brimmed ranger type hats, but I don't know if I want to look like one of those Wensel characters just yet.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Hawaii...I would assume that the longer arrows for broadheads were stiffer spine, Hill has repeatedly said that he shot all his arrows for groups, and kicked out those arrows that didn't group for him.

I do the net arrow thing also...my broadhead arrows are 1/2" longer than blunt arrows.  In the 5# spine variance of a matched set of arrows, the lighter shafts get turned into blunts and the stiffer shafts go to broadheads...voila,  arrows that group together  :)

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All these long draws posted...you guys really pulling that long while shooting at game or intense pressure targets? Most of the time when really concentrating on the target our draws are shorter than we think or what we see in the mirror. A video of our shooting while stump shooting reveals alot about our true draw length.

Believe it or not Brother's My answer remains the same. Yes it is difficult to find arrows (especially POC).
...Mark

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Pressure shot archery form!

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
Pressure shot archery form!  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Double!   :knothead:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Who is that a picture of?

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Nate you bring up a good point about draw length.  The backyard shot and the measurement is usually a bit longer than when actually taking a hunting shot.  I release right at 26" when just shooting but my hunting shot probably is closer to 25".  That's one reason I like my arrows to show a bit weak when bareshafting, and also why I shoot more feather than I need.

Great photo Jeff!!  :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »
Bob Swinehart.   :notworthy:
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »