3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: American made hunting/hiking boot  (Read 717 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
American made hunting/hiking boot
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I'm in need of a good hunting..hiking boot. Preferably American made and something that won't brake the bank. I've been in search of a good pair for a long time with no luck.
So...what do y'all wear?

Help me out here!

Jason

Online DKG

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: American made hunting/hiking boot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Belleville military boots from the local Army/Navy store work for me. They are American made and extremely comfortable. They are worn by our heroes in harms way.
“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!  Let your good spirit lead me on level ground.”  Psalm 143:10

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I don't know what your price range is.  

I have a pair of Danner Mountain Lites I bought a few years ago to replace the pair I bought back in the 70s that had been resoled twice.

They run about $240 and take some breaking in.  But once you get about 25 miles down the road in them you will wish you had never used anything else.

Glenn's Outdoors has em for the cheapest I've seen...do a search.  

I spent ten years in the Army and there's no way in hell you'll ever find me in another pair of Army boots.  Too tight, too cold, not waterproof, and don't last.  

I've bought the $100 and under boots and have always felt they never hold up like I wanted.  

Spend the money on good boots and the Mountain lites can be resoled several times.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
They are made in Germany, but I recently bought some Lowa GTX boots that are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. No breakin for me, and I am doing regular 5 to 6 mile hikes in rocky, hilly terrain with a small pack, and they are comfy enough so I don't want to take them off when I get back.
I have had some Danners, too, and for me, they took a while to break in, but are good, tough boots that last.
X2 on Army combat boots not being too great, although I would hope that they have improved somewhat over when I was in a 'few' years ago.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
The thing about hiking boots is to try as many on as you can because all the companies use different lasts. And you have to find the one that fits your foot the best. So do yourself a favor and goto a reputable shop and actually get fitted for them.

If you have questions lemme know I used to sell and fit people for hiking boots for their trips. There's more to it then just saying gimme a size 10 and calling it a day    ;)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Asolo TP 535 and Lowa GTX not US made but excellent just the same.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Try these, Chippewa makes some excellant boots.

http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/

Offline Tom1954

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I always thought Irish Setter boots were American made, but I saw nothing to that effect on their website (Red Wing).  But then I wear Danners, and I didn't see anything on their site either.  I know people who won't buy anything but Irish Setters so I'm guessing they're good.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm not dead set on American made but I do like to support our own when I can. I haven't bought a pair in probably six or seven years so I want to buy me a pair that will last a while. I want to use them mainly for hunting but I do alot of hiking, stumping and roving. Something lightweight and they don't have to be waterproof.

Hope I'm not asking to much here!   :)  

Jason

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I bought my first pair of Danner,and probably won't buy anything else.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Danners USA made not China made. The label on the box will tell you which.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Yeah I forgot to put that,mine are the American made also

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Take a look at Oakley boots as well, I've got a warm weather pair and they are Made in the USA.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I have a set of 6 years old nubuck danner elk hunters made in the USA.  Best boots I have ever had by far.  Bought my wife a pair last christmas that are similar only black and paid $275.  The cheap chinese boots I wear on the farm never last me more than a year and are almost $100.  The danner's are a steal by comparison.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
I'm a Lowa fan. I don't think I can find a pair of good American-built hunting/hiking boots for under $175. My feet are worth more to me than what $125 usually gets. I wear Schnee's for hunting (Bozeman, MT) and there are others, but typically not in the usage-range you've described. Last year I went searching for a good summer/fall hunting, hiking and do-it-all boot. I didn't want waterproofness or any Gore-tex in them. I wanted light weight, sturdy support, excellent traction, breathability and total function. I decided I could care less what they looked like. I ended up with the Lowa Zephyr Desert from REI. $180. I know I'll get 6-10 years from them.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Kevin, I kinda like the look of them. I really don't want waterproof boots for my do it all boot either...just something that breathes good. I'll have to check them out! I also like the look of the Welco military hiking boot...anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks to all who responded

Jason

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
When I bought my Lowa GTX's, I tried the desert Lowas, and they were as comfortable as a house slipper. I bought the GTX's instead because they are waterproof, but if I was going to have a boot strictly for warm, dry weather, I would have bought the desert boots.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
I really like the high end Hi-TEC boots. They're not USA made but hold up really well.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
When you say "I don't want to break the bank" that really does not take into account for replacement costs. If you are buying 100.00 boots every year after 10 years you spent a 1000.00. As opposed to spending 300.00 the first time and wearing them 10 years. If you want US made look at White's or Russell's.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I own a pair of scarpa backpacking boots I love. They are built in Europe but anything not built in the 3rd world is good with me. Mine weren't cheap either but they are built to last forever. Might wanna try looking at their other offerings?
here is a link to their site

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/products/TRAIL/TRAIL-HIKING

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©