3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sloan Ranch stories ?  (Read 387 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Sloan Ranch stories ?
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Any stuff back yet from the Soan Ranch hunters ?

Thomas (Burns) posted elsewhere that "I just got here 20 minutes ago and already saw over 60 pigs".

Come on guys  you're killing me (I go there next week)
ChuckC

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sloan Ranch stories ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
TTT for us Pig Giggers

Keith

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Interested to hear how all the pig gig hunts go this year.  Keep us posted.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
nobody ?  

I heard they killed so many they had to all buy trailers to haul all the pork home !

I would love to hear about the conditions on the ranch.  I am guessing it is green along the river and brown away fom the river.
ChuckC

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I wasn't at the Sloan ranch this year.  I hunted week #1 at the Lambshead Ranch.  I killed a nice hog there.  The ranch was very green for this time of year.  Allot of hogs were seen with around a dozen killed that week.  ~Steve

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Well, heck with you all.  We are leaving in the morning and when I get back   I   will write about the hunt.

The weather is supposed to be much nicer down in Texas than it currently is up here in Wisconsin.  Two friends and I are driving down with plans to arrive on the ranch mid day Sunday.  Hunting starts Monday morning so I guess I can go walk and scout out some areas Sunday after camp is put up.

Got lots of food packed, tents, gear.  Can't wait.  Tonight is gonna be like a kid and Christmas. . .  no sleep at all.

I tried, but I couldn't get buddy John to build a pig suit or a cow suit, so I guess we will just have to be sneaky.

To the rest of the crew going to Sloan's this week.  Drive safely and we will see you there. Hope to get to meet you all.

ChuckC

Offline Rod in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I havent heard much about 2nd or 3rd week Pig Gigs.
I did my part with the first week lambshead story.  
Good luck on your hunt and eep us posted if you can  Look forward to your story when you get back
Rod Martin

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Good luck Chuck!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
I was at the Sloan Ranch week two. My buddy and I were into hogs ever day, I'm talking shot opportunities or nearly so each morning (when we still hunted the river) and evening (when we typically sat on wheat fields). I've been doing the "Pig Gigs" for many years and must say that this hunt was the most exciting ever.  Great campsite,plus lots of game seen and arrows in the air.  Barry told me the last day that something like 22 hogs had been shot during the week.
Gary Logsdon

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys

Gary  that sounds great to me !  Leaving in a few minutes here.

Any tips on where hogs were seen ?
ChuckC

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
I ambushed (although in one case the hog ambushed me)several big boars while still hunting the southern exposures of the Brazos River. They were feeding on lush grasses on the first shelf above the river, however the big ones preferred bedding down on the higher main plateau next level up.  Walked up several that stood up, huffed and puffed, and stood their ground.  An aggravated black boar at 15 feet can get pretty exciting!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
It is all really green on the Sloan. The wheat and oat fields are at least ankle deep and lush green. I think everybody got several shots - except me. The largest part of the pasture I was hunting only had through traffic. Never did see one there. Late in the hunt Kevin showed me where he thought they were. Sure enough they were there but there were so many in the herd I could never get close enough to get a shot. They would scatter out in a long line and one of them would see me if I tried to move. One big ol' sow really had my number. She never spooked but always knew where I was. Later in the week the hogs seemed to be moving at night a lot. Some of the guys rigged up lights over bait and got some action. Definitely a fun time was had by all.
Colburn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©