3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you camo up?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you camo up?
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I have read that black does not occur in nature naturally, but, I see black in many places in the woods; rotten bark, black Maple bark, black fur on anmals, etc...

I have some camo cover makeup in basic colors but have yet to find anything that'll last and stay on, but is easy to remove later on after the hunt. The stuff I use now is your basic camo kits from sporting goods stores or wally-world.

What do you use and how do you like what you use? I have masks, but sometimes they're a pain, especially in the cold when my breath fogs my glasses.

Just trying to see what others do and how you look camo'd up, if you want to post some pics.

Anyone use black from burned wood coals?

Thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you camo up?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
How bout burnt cork? I used it and faired well this season. I hear there are some carcinogens, but thats with any burnt substance.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I only use black. For turkeys I use a mask at times but don't really like it. Usually just whatever is on sale after season.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I do not use a any mask.  I have a trim beard and keep my chin tucked to my chest, looking out under the brim of my fedora.  I wear wool mostly a blanket shirt, or Fred Ashbel plaid wool or just a flannel shirt with 6 pocket camo pants or bibs.  I usually sit on the ground and pay attention to the wind ... and the thermals ... hunting ridges it can be a real problem.  I think mostly movement, not camo that is the issue.

Hey Rob, super buck man!!  I hope next season I get a pic of your next one taken with your new Hoosier special!  :D  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Sure we wear camo-lots of good hunting clothing is available only in camo; it is overrated IMO.  Movement and wind is what you need to watch

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I just use the camo face paint that Walmart sales at times. I think Remington makes it. I found it is very easy to remove if you use a paper towel that is wet with rubbing alchohol.
James Kerr

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
I used to use a mask when I shot a compound because they were more convenient than face paint but they get in the way of my anchor now.  I just keep some unscented baby wipes in the truck now - no big deal to wipe it off.

I bought a few of those Hunters Specialties camo "compacts" a few years ago when I found them on sale for about a buck a piece.  They've got brown, green, tan and black in them.  I usually don't use the tan because it's the same as my skin color, but I start with blobs of green and brown around my face and then a few diagonal "branches" of black on top of it.

Some of it got a little wiped off by the time I tracked this deer in October 11.

Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
I have been using the kuiu Merino neck gaiter that can slide up and cover most of your face. Have been within 5 yards of a couple bucks twice last rifle season bit they were too small for me to shoot with a rifle. If I would have had my bow ooh me you better believe I'd have a pic with one of them right now  :)
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:44:00 AM »
Bjorn has it right.  I wear lots of camo but mostly because I stick with synthetics and  the best clothing for hunting is camo.  

Haven't worn anything on or over my face for years and I do almost exclusively spot and stalk.  You can get away with a lot.  Until you get caught in motion.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
Bud,
Check out WallyWorld's day after Halloween face paint sale.  You can get a lifetime supply for a couple bucks.  I've got plenty if you want to try some.  Remove with baby wipes.  I've got some TBH mags if you're coming to Stick & Wheel today.  Don't let me forget them.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
I tried wallyworld after Halloween without success. I am looking for a simple alternative to the typical face paint, like the ones by Remmington at walmart, cause those seem to wipe off when you don't want them to. They also have a sheen and get even glossier as facial oils and sweat occur.

The burnt cork idea has me interested. I just need a good tip on breakup of the pale face, especially with Mrs. Asbell's Shadow Plaid hoodie on.

As for the burnt cork, is this something you can buy or can make yourself? There are so many wineries here in this area cork should be easy to get in bulk.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have plaid and other camo clothing but am more concerned with facial camo.

I have to shave where I work so a beard is not a viable option for me on an available-every-day option.

Turkey season is approaching and I'm going to try them for the first time ever. Never hunted them even with a shotgun.

Thanks again for the replies.

Keep'em coming.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
I'm going to try spandoflage this year on recommendation from my dad. I hate the typical face masks that can obscure my vision and are uncomfortable for me. However, this stuff is supposed to be really light, easy to breathe through, and stays in place. Plus, it's CHEAP!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I'm going to try spandoflage this year on recommendation from my dad. I hate the typical face masks that can obscure my vision and are uncomfortable for me. However, this stuff is supposed to be really light, easy to breathe through, and stays in place. Plus, it's CHEAP!
I used a neck gator type fask mask made from this kind of material last year.  Easy to pull up/down as needed, easy to breath through and didn't affect my shooting.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Never use the stuff but as a kid my father and uncle used burnt cork.  Just a piece of cork and a lighter.  Burn/rub - would be the directions on the packaging(if there were any)

***actually there would need to be a disclaimer that said: Let it cool before applying - because some fool would try to put it on while still burning and then attempt to sue the cork company for allowing them to be stupid!!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
Never use the stuff but as a kid my father and uncle used burnt cork.  Just a piece of cork and a lighter.  Burn/rub - would be the directions on the packaging(if there were any)

***actually there would need to be a disclaimer that said: Let it cool before applying - because some fool would try to put it on while still burning and then attempt to sue the cork company for allowing them to be stupid!!
:biglaugh:

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
I use the four color box with the mirror from Wallyworld. It does tend to wipe or wear of, but I just check my look in the mirror once in a while, thats what its for. I also keep a wine bottle cork with me for back-up.The face camo makes my face itch, and I wipe it of scratching my face.Its better than wearing a mask.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »

I like burnt cork , easy to put on and take off
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I have used the burn cork, but don't really like stuff on my face so have been using this face mask for quiet a few yrs. I wear my Art Young hat on top of it or hang it on a limb.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
If you are hunting the same area you can take a photo on your phone or camera and look at the color patterns and apply them to your camo, or just get a basic pattern.

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I only use black. For turkeys I use a mask at times but don't really like it. Usually just whatever is on sale after season.    
As Rob's picture shows. I believe the best camo is the pullover leafy suites. All the leaves give your solid body texture and I think that is more important than pattern or color. These light weight garments can be worn in any weather condition. They dry very fast also.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©