3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you camo up?  (Read 920 times)

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you camo up?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Hi  I start with black under both eyes (like a pro football player) then brown branches from my mustache out.
maybe a little green here and there.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Leafy wear and burnt cork! I just can't shoot with a face mask on. Also, the cork don't have the shiney effect the paint does. Tom's right, leafy wear is so easy...just throw it over anything. Relatively cheap to!

Jason

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shane C:
I have been using the kuiu Merino neck gaiter that can slide up and cover most of your face.    :)    
I have traditionally always worn HS scents mask (with leaves and grass sewn on), but have bought some paint and a kuiu gaiter I think I will start trying a combo of these in mid season.  For me cold weather and bugs dictate my wear.  The screen masks work good for bugs and in the cold I usually some sort of gaiter/balaclava combo.  

I have noticed amimals pick up face glare at times and they hate eye balls staring at them even when the rest of your face is covered.

Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I use the walmart stuff after halloween sale I buy it in bulk so to say and lasts for ever and removes easily from my face with babby wipes pluss you can use it on your glass bow and wipe off to good stuff

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Burnt cork works great. Commercial camoflauge is overrated...use the cork to nock down the white shine of your face, wear muted earth tones, in some broken pattern like plaid. Stay in the shadows.

Camo is a concept, not a pattern.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I use Carbomask, it dries nice and dull, wipes off with a wet wipe, but stays on real well. I sweat a lot during the early bow seasons in Northern, VA and it almost always stays on. It also is supposed to be great for scent control, but I use it for how dull it is.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I use an oversized camouflage bandana tied somewhat loose so it sits by my chin. When I see game approaching I just tuck my chin down and let it slip over my nose and when I raise my chin the bandana is caught over my nose. Its cheap, reusable, and easily removed.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joshua Polland:
I use Carbomask, it dries nice and dull, wipes off with a wet wipe, but stays on real well. I sweat a lot during the early bow seasons in Northern, VA and it almost always stays on. It also is supposed to be great for scent control, but I use it for how dull it is.
+1 Good Stuff!

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm a fan of Spandofage. Fits to you snugly and is surprisingly warm when its cold out.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Burnt cork works great. Commercial camoflauge is overrated...use the cork to nock down the white shine of your face, wear muted earth tones, in some broken pattern like plaid. Stay in the shadows.

Camo is a concept, not a pattern.....
Well said Roger. Shadows is very key in my opinion as well as back cover.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
ASAT pattern works just fine, I use some coal or dirt on some sports in the face to prevent glare and gloves of course.
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
I have some camo cover makeup in basic colors but have yet to find anything that'll last and stay on, but is easy to remove later on after the hunt. The stuff I use now is your basic camo kits from sporting goods stores or wally-world.

Anyone use black from burned wood coals?

Thanks.
You may want to give costume makeup a try. The base is powder and is put on with a sponge, takes about 20 seconds. The strips are put on with a brush with face paint (maybe 30 seconds). The stuff is made to withstand perspiration from actors who perform onstage in high temperature (lighting). I get it off with makeup remover, or baby wipes, or a wash cloth with a little soap that I place in a baggie and let warmup over the defroster. Below is a pic of me after dragging the buck a mile. I believe the base color was cadaver grey (my favorite). It is also hypoallergenic and has no order.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Nice pic and coverage.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I like black carbomask.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Plaid,wool  or flannel depending on temp
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I got some cork. Man that's the trick!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I have found that a army issued ghillie suit is by far the BEST camo anyone can use; scary effective; wear what you want too underneath depending on the weather; go to a army surplus store and you can buy the entire suit for less than a hundred dollars most of the time; you can also buy the grass style threads there as well and sew them to your favorite hat or clothes; go to any search engine on your computer and type in ghille suits and you can see some pictures of how effective they are at hiding a human being.

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Anyone use black from burned wood coals?
I used to use the store bought face paint but hated wiping the stuff off. Once In a while during bear hunting I'll take the cooled down coals from our camp fire at bear camp and smear that on my face and hands. Definitely cheap.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©