3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead for black bear  (Read 825 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead for black bear
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Having spent a bit of time at Hunters Point Guide Service that past 10 years or so I've seen plenty of bow killed bears. First, only broadside, double lung shots should be attempted. Second, regarding broadheads.....sharp is key...really razor sharp is best. I like multiblade heads like the Woodsman, Razorcap and Muzzy Phantom. The two blade  head that I have seen that has impressed me the most is the STOS...good blood trails and short ones.  This bruiser was taken with a home made bow and arrow tipped with a STOS head. The bear was down in sight.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Shot through my bear last fall with a Woodsman Elite. Shot through the buck I got as well. That head really impressed me. Both animals went less than 50 yds.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I shot my one and only with a magnus 4 and it went dead.....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Agree that a sharp head well placed is key. I've been fortunate to kill half doz. bears and have used both 2 & 3 blade heads. But what happens if I mess up, and say hit the scapula? Settled on Zwickey No Mercy SB heads after testing on green Bear shoulder blades. With 52# LB, shot through the scapula leaned against a stump and then had to hammer & chisel the broadhead out of the stump heartwood. Not the most scientific test, but made a believer out of me and took last 3 bears with that broadhead. Hope this is helpful. Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I've only shot a handful, and all with 2 blade heads.  On boiler room shots any decent sharp head will do.  On less than perfect shots, the multiblade has the advantage of a larger hole which helps with how bear fur soaks up blood.  2 blades have the advantage of upping the odds of an exit wound.

I think a wide 2 blade or a skinny 3 blade is a good balance, but whatever I'm shooting at the time is probably what stays in the quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©